“It is nice place to stay.”
Review of Hillview Munnar

Hillview Munnar
Ranked #36 of 101 Hotels in Munnar
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I stayed in this hotel twice, june and september(2.3rd) and I personally feel that it is nice place to stay with nice view of tea estate on hills. Rooms are excellent as they have fuul wooden interior. Breakfast which comes free in teriff is satisfactory for people from all over the country. I am fully satisfied. One improvement can be done by increasing gaming and leisure facilities on teriff.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank VIIRAM
There are newer reviews for Hillview Munnar

Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed in this hotel with my family for 2 nights as part of vacation to this hill station in Kerala. The hotel is located in the interior of Munnar near the KSRTC bus station.
The hotel uses a lot of quality wood which are visible in the lobby area, the staircase and also the thick restaurant doors. Also the hotel interiors are well decorated and pleasing to the eye. The lobby is spacious with good seating arrangements. There was no elevator available but the bell boys helped in moving the luggage.
The room was not very spacious and also the maintenance was average. We had some problems with water taps in the bathroom and called up room service. The person who came to attend the problem could speak only in Malayalam and with great difficulty we were able to convey our problems.
The hotel has a good restaurant and also provides guide service which we availed of. There is a nice park near the hotel and also some shops selling artifacts.
Overall this is a well decorated hotel but the staff service left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Annapragada
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Reading the other reviews, it seems like a lot of people have been terribly ill-treated by the staff of Hill View. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with the staff. In fact they were pretty helpful overall.

But yeah, the rooms were terrible. The size of a double room was quite small, and so was the size of the bed they provided. We encountered quite a few stray insects including a blood sucking type that refused to die. But I guess that comes with the territory.

The hotel is really barebones and pretty far away from anything of significance, but if you're a tree-hugger, you would love the hotel's surroundings.

But yeah , the rooms were really bad and dingy, so I would advise looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gagan G
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I went to this hotel in August, 2007. I paid in advance for two nights.
As one of the reviewer said, it looked impressive from outside. However, it
was disappointing inside. First of all, the floors are all wooden which
keep you away from any peace. We went to our rooms and the rooms were
pretty disappointing as well. I paid almost 4500 for two nights and this
is what I found inside: 1) Room was extremely cold as outside temperature
was about 10 degrees and there were no good windows. Needless to say,
no heating inside. The bedclothes were kind of wet and very cold. I was
able to survive that night because of something that happened which I
will tell you below but my friends as they stayed inside bed clothes
got ill with very high fever. 2)As I said something happened with me so here
it is: There was a group of young people that night in the hotel. They were
making hell lot of a noise. I went down (reception) about 11:00PM so
that they know something is going on. The guy at reception told me he is
going to do something about it. The real thing was, I requested him 6-7 times
but nothing really happened and I was not able to sleep. I can tell you
I have never faced this kind of expereince in my life before. I guess, as i was
in and out whole night I did not get ill and survived. 3)In the name of hot
water, hotel had given a tap of hot water. It was not coming in shower or in
basin. In 2200Rs you don't expect this kind of things. In fact, during the
trip I had some hotels just in 1000Rs and they had at least hot water
in shower. 4) Because my friends got ill, we had to leave the hotel
next day because she said she is going to die in this hotel. When
we were checking out, the hotel manage told us that we will loose 50%
cancellation charges for our 1 remaining day. I said OK and they said
money will be back in my bank account within 5 working days. Well, this
is the worst part of the story as they never returned the money. I spent
almost 500Rs on phone call and what they told me everytime was "Please
give us your phone number and we'll get back to you". Nobody got back and I
lost 500 more. The hotel is bad, the staff is worse and the manager
or whoever he is a cheater.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
7  Thank alpha1976
Reviewed February 9, 2007

I went to this place with my family, we were 4 adults and 2 small kids. We book standard room (1200/- per night). the room was quite clean with wooden floor. Hot water was available from morning 6 to 10 and evening 6 to 10. We went in December so weather was quite chilled but we liked the food very much there.

They had breakfast and dinner buffet. Breakfast buffet was kind of mix south Indian snacks and normal bread,butter,juice. In evening they had cancel light dinner buffet, that was fabulous. One more good thing was, they had enough parking space on the side of hotel to park your vehicle overnight. Room service was really good, but they charge extra if you order lunch/dinner/b'fast in room. but service was good as I ordered some 8-10 times milk for my infant, it was instant. We stayed there for two days and they even suggested us the places to sees and gave map to driver.

Some of the room has Hillview not all. also difference between delux room and standard room is only windows size. They have big windows in deluxe room. But overall Munnar is very small town and its best property there in reasonable rate.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank indiatrotter
Reviewed August 30, 2006

Rude staff, shabby rooms and unhygenic food classify Hill view. No hot water. The best room is probably as good as a Lodge type toom elsewhere. Definitely not a place to waste your precious time and money.

The only cheerful creature is the security guard who has the commonsense to quickly arrange umbrellas to escort guests till reception when it is raining heavily.

Quite sure that the 'good' review must be posted by one of the staffers himself.

4  Thank bundela
Reviewed November 27, 2005

I think the previous reviewer is talking of some place in Varkala (which is several hours from Munnar)and not in Munnar.

Hotel Hillview has a lot of interesting wood work, but the rooms have a lot of room for improvement. The room that I got was a deluxe room. The bed was fine, and thankfully, the bathroom was very clean. But the bath mat looked dirty. The bath towels were threadbare and the curtains in the room had mildew on them.

For roughly the same price (actually it was cheaper) you can stay at Issac's Residency which was much cleaner and nicer.

• Stayed: November 2005