“Marvellous they are !”

Punarjani Traditional Village
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Please make it a point to wathc both the shows of Punarjani.
1. Kathakali show.
2. Kallaripayattu - this is the art of fighting that evolved in these parts of southern India. Indian 'Martial arts'.

Both of them are informative, and awesome.
I was struck by Kallaripayattu martial artists in particular.

1  Thank raj04

Reviewed January 11, 2013

brilliant manner in which an indigenous art is being kept alive even if it is commercialised a bit.after all one cannot survive on art alone...needs to have food and house to live in.it is the artists only who manage the ticketing,ushering,management and information-announcemetns..in short run totally by them in each and every sense.Kudos!

1  Thank garima23
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Kathakali & Kalarirayatu Show at Punarjani is a must see. The dancers do a great job of giving a background of the art-form before the performance. The live music and singing is also pretty good.
Book the tickets a day in advance to get good seats, Arrive at the venue atleast 30 min before the show to see the dancers get ready with face-painting.

The martial art performers also do a great job..both shows are worth a watch

1  Thank Stacy020
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I first visited this place about one year ago. I saw both the shows and spent time there viewing the make up process and subsequent dance program.
My second visit however was a nightmare.
This place appeared bigger, more commercial. Quality of dance had deteriorated to where they seemed more interested in audience participation. Music was so loud that I had to keep my fingers in my ears. Other visitors seemed to enjoy this freak show but I found it to be very disturbing. Demonstration of "rasas" was done very poorly. At that point I left because I could no longer handle the cheap freak show and horrible commotion.
On my last visit I did like the place. If you go, wear ear plugs or your ears will ring after the show!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We went for both the Kathakali and Kalaripayatu performances. We were pleasantly surprised that the person who performed the female lead (if it is an appropriate term for a Kathakali performance) was also one of the main Kalaripayatu performer. The best part of the both the performances is that they have a interactive session which makes the audience feel included and understand the art better. The tickets are slightly expensive (INR 400 per person per show) considering that the theatre is very basic. But over all a very interesting experience.

2  Thank Shailaja B