“Awe-inspiring, a must visit”

Rajamalai (Eravikulam) National Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$359.00*
and up
6-Day Private Tour: Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and Backwater Houseboat Cruise...
Ranked #6 of 67 things to do in Munnar
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We visited the park during monsoons & once we reached there, we were amazed by the view offered by the park. The majestic waterfalls & misty hills all around, we couldn't have asked for more from this place. We were so lucky to have spotted many nilgiri tahrs as soon as we entered the park. Private vehicles are only allowed up to the ticket counter after which one needs to board the bus that takes you to the hill top. Umbrellas are available on rent at the park entry. Also, the canteen at the park serves tea, maggi & fresh brownies which we enjoyed along with the downpour. A must visit.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Its a good place if you enjoying trekking.The road uphill is very steep & gets messier on a hot day.We visited in the month on April so even the views were not that great.The showstopper is Nilgiri Tahr(mountain goat) & its very difficult to spot it at this time.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Got in the queue, Indians pushing in front of us. My sons had to go to the washroom and so I was left to get our tickets. When i got to the ticket booth, the man asked if I was a 'foreigner'. I couldn't believe my ears. He said I would have to pay 200 INR per person as opposed to 15 INR for an Indian. Not sure why this is (my son said maybe it is because of the difference in wages that 'foreigner's receive in relation to Indians which makes sense I suppose). Anyway, that over I was waiting for my sons to come back from the washroom. In the meantime, I was at the front of the queue and there was a bus waiting. The staff on duty ushered all of the Indians onboard. He then said there was a bit more room. My sons came back and he told us we had to get on as well as a young British girl behind us. I said I didn't want to get on as it was totally packed and we would be squashed up at the back of the bus. The staff on duty got angry and said we had to get on. So we were all shepherded onboard. The Indian's all laughed as we approached. We were literally squashed up a the back. I had paid an extra 25 rupees for taking my camera. There was no way I could even attempt at getting my camera out of my bag. There just was no room... We got to a bend in the road and the driver stopped to look at the famous mountain goats. The Indian's in front of me shot round in their seats, nearly knocked me out with their cameras. I couldn't move round to see, let alone get my camera out!!!
Next, we suddenly stopped at a barrier. We were all ushered off the bus. I couldn't believe it, it was pouring with rain and we had no idea where we were meant to go or what time we had to catch the bus. They just left us in the middle of the road. We followed a few others up hill. It was very steep. The altitude is acute and I found it difficult to breathe. We got only a part way up when my sons and I and the lone English girl decided we had enough as the rain was intense and we couldn't see anything. We went to the bus shelter. The Indian's blocked the way and so we were left standing outside in the rain. I was getting very annoyed at this point and so I shouted at the Indians to move along to allow us to get shelter. They inched along and I decided to barge past them to get better shelter. This is not how I have been brought up and I hate to behave in this way, but needs must etc.
When the first bus finally arrived, we were pretty much first in the queue. The bus moved on further away from us. We quickly moved forward to get on. The guys standing at the steps, blocking our way, basically told us we were not allowed on as it was for members only. Do you think they were talking about Indians I wonder? Back in the pouring rain, and now like drowned rats, I made a decision to elbow and barge myself and my family and the lone British girl onboard. That is exactly what I did. One Indian woman gave me the evils and kept looking me up and down. When the bus came, she tried to barge past onboard before me. NO WAY! I elbowed her right out of the way! It wasn't going to happen to me again. If we treated 'foreigners' like this in England, we would be lynched!

1  Thank maxpax
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Very well maintained. U can see all shades of Green here.. clean place. Nilgiri tahrs are seen playing around. But they should allow bi-cycles there, it would be more romantic..

Reviewed August 3, 2013

awesome place to visit...superb climate with drops of raining,,,, july is the monsoon time in munnar therefore plenty of water in all the water falls,,rajamalai is the place having different kind of animals,,, like varai addu snakes tigers etc etc,,,