“Amazing experience staying at Kaivalyam”
Review of Kaivalyam Retreat

Kaivalyam Retreat
Ranked #1 of 193 Munnar B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at Kaivalyam last yr in Oct '11 along with my wife and parents. I booked this place based on trip advisor reviews and availability. I was little apprehensive but boy was I not disappointed. this is a gem of a place in Munnar surprisingly being run by Gujarati couple settled there. Harish and his wife Anju make as the best hosts possible and are extremely warm and loving, almost seems as if living with family. The rooms are extremely comfortable and plush to an extent. Almost like a 4 star place with very clean and well maintained interiors. Situated in a spice plantation, its as close to nature as you can get. Only slight disadvantage is that rooms dont have a open view of the valley, but more of a jungle view.

Approach road is slightly tricky, so resort has a jeep service for pick up and drop from main road. Car parking was midway to the resort since the road is steep and narrow. Rest of the road was under construction at that time and might be driveable all the way to the resort now.

Food is all vegeterian and great. I am a hard core non-veggie but didnt miss the dinner at the resort all 3 days we stayed there.

In a nutshell must visit place and resort. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Kaivalyam Retreat

Reviewed May 16, 2012

we had great 3 days there: beautiful rooms for the price, wifi, good TV,balcony, pure forest around the house, free yoga, great walks to the spice plantation with friendly gardener ramir and the food was outstanding !! pure veg of its finest - we loved it here.Also all the staff and ppl around the house where heartwarming friendly.
Only con: Very noisy indian families which made noise from 7 am in the morning ( yelling and TV) till 1 am.
Made us very unhappy so we tried to talk to them but they just felt offended, but continued being noisy,
for ear-sensitive ppl- be careful of that.or maybe u are lucky and no families there...
But we really recommend the great place of harish and anju***

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Akasha B
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This has been my second time with Kaivalyam.

Had a wonderful experience! Very homely and serene place to live. Mr Harish and team takes special care for each and everyone. Food is very tasty and of course healthy. We were a team of 12 people and everyone loved the place a lot.

Thanks to Kaivalam team.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We enjoyed our stay in Kaivalyam. Its 7 kms from Munnar town. The place is very calm. If you want to escape from your busy city life, This is the right place to stay in munnar. Hospitality was good. Only veg foods will be served. They also conducts Yoga sessions, Spice plantation walk and Soft Hiking.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. My toddler fell sick due to the travel up in the mountains so we barely went anywhere and the stay worked out beyond my expectations. The couple who run this place Harish and Anju have not spared any expenses to making your stay comfortable. I woke up everyday with a view of the sunrise over the tall trees in the horizon. The rooms and the beds are exceptionally clean. The decor is a bit Japanese inspired not surprising when you know that the owners spent a good part of their lives in Japan.

Whenever I was in bed with my little one who had a temperature, the lovely housekeeping ladies helped me stay calm, wiped her down and gave me good advice. They were truly angels. I noticed other staff also help the guests with babies and toddlers, do not be surprised if the staff walks over and hugs and kisses your baby. I was quite touched.

We did go to Munnar once and regretted it, what a chaotic crazy place. We were happy to be back at the retreat eating a certified clean delicious meal and enjoying the views and taking a hike down to the river. The guide was very knowledgeable and often helped me carry my little one.

I found Anju to be exceptionally graceful and courteous, she was in the kitchen a lot of times supervising the amazing good food that was being served. All of my little one's food was on the house.While I was leaving Anju gave me two pineapples because I had mentioned how delicious the ones served with breakfast were. She refused payment.

Overall, what a bargain and will not stay anywhere else.

p:s : My brother had a honeymoon package and he was quite satisfied with the arrangements.

Room Tip: Bungalows on the top level are surrounded by the gardens.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SalilaS
Reviewed May 3, 2012

One of the best places that I have visited and stayed.

This is one place where you should really go and stay if you really wish to stay in peace. Very calm, very relaxing, no honking noise or chitter chatter... only natural melody of mother nature.....

The other amazing part of the place is Harish and Anju. Such wonderful people you would want to make good friends with instantly, very rare to meet now a days in concrete jungels. You can sense the warmth by just a small conversation you have with them.... Keep it up Harish / Anju

I will definitely visit you guys whenever I visit Munnar

Pradeep / Pooja

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PradeepNagori
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed at this place for three nights and enjoyed it very much.
Very clean rooms, excellent veggie food, relaxing Yoga sessions in the Yoga hall right in he middle of mother nature.
Only thing but that was not their fault: when you book a trip with the guide they work with you need to fix the route with him before you go because he is a lazy bum and is not a professional guide. He of course knows where to go but he cannot explain too many things about nature.

Stayed: April 2012