“Sweet memories to treasure”
Review of JJ Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Munnar
JJ Cottage
Ranked #2 of 157 Specialty Lodging in Munnar
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Sweet memories to treasure”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We were family with elderly parents. WE had a wonderful restful stay after a long journey with the public bus from Alleypey. Very pleasant and helpful owners. Wish we had more time just to relax at this wonderful place and seeing the world pass by slowly.. WE enjoyed the Satellite Channels especially the Angel TV and Aasirvatham TV.. felt like cool , calm and restful time in the presence of GOD.. appreciating the nature wonder of Munnar... God bless you all at JJ Cottage..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Indonesian first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I went last week in June, I had read great reviews and also read about discount during the monsoon.

Alert- Online Rates are WRONG. No ROOM SERVICE.
The place is small in comparison to all the other hotels, except breakfast no food is available and you need to personally call. Room service switch doesn't work.

I will accept, the hotel is aesthetically built, it is clean, shops are near, the main town is a walk away. But there are better hotels nearby. I was on a budget as we were going to Lakshadweep and that cost us a lot. We cancelled a booking to go to JJ cottage.

Though I found Mr Eric's behaviour strange as if he was doing us a favour by serving us.
He later said that he is mostly frienly with his guests as he was shouting at us in our room!

Maybe he's gotten Complacent with all the internet reviews.
I emailed and Mr Eric who is a partner with his Uncle, Jain John who is a Govt. employee.
Eric told me 700 on the phone first, then said 800. When I reached Munnar from Delhi, at Night suddenly he tells me I need to pay 1000.

I went with my parents, who are both in their late 50's. I had managed the booking and I felt ashamed and cheated. I kept telling Mr Eric that online, his rate was 350 to 800 and the possibility of a bargain especially during monsoon season.

He confirmed on the telephone in Delhi the price of 800, but he refused saying he had quoted 800 to 1000. saying that the 800 room couldn't get empty.
I prevented an argument and requested him to take 900. He said he wasn't the owner but an employee but then said Partner. To be honest, the management does not bother me but i felt like a beggar begging him.

But on the last day while we were leaving, He was in our room, we requested him to take 900 per day as he was also at fault for changing his mind suddenly.
He started SHOUTING and blatantly lied. My father tried calming him down and even folded his hands but he wouldn't leave the room.

He was always helpful earlier, though we had to call him up. Ask for water, ask for towels. Always ask. We were on a family travel and I am a student, so I didn't mind the running.

But I will never ever stay there. I cannot deal with so much tension and arguments during a vacation.

If you still wish to stay there, confirm on mail or message, don't trust his word.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Munmun342
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights. The owner (ERIC -9446130593 & Family) was very helpful and polite. Rooms are Very nice and clean . A King Sized Bed. TV and a very neat Bathroom .24/7 hot water. The price is really good(800/- we paid) . It’s very calm and Safe for families .There is no disturbance. 2 mins walk from bus stand and restaurants, Also he arranged a cab for our side seeing..... It is the best place to stay in Munnar.. ..We would most definitely stay here again!!..Outstanding hotel!!.Thanks Eric!!..

Room Tip: Reasonal price and good budget , clean and safe hotel / homestay /Cottage in Munnar
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Lovely guest house run by the friendly Eric and his team. Clean spacious rooms, hot water and easy access to nearby tea plantations. Eric also arranged for a driver to go on an early morning trip to Top Station (go early to beat the crowds).

The only problem was the sheets on the beds which were those cheap and un washable fake fur blankets that you get in Indian budget hotels. Smelly. Change these and it will be five out of five next time round.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We spent four nights at JJ Cottages in the last room they had left. The place attracts a lot of tourists (probably because it's in many different guidebooks). We paid 600 rupees (fixed price) for a non-AC (not necessary either) double room with TV and bathroom. Good bed and pillow, clean room and an excellent shower with actually hot water.

Added bonus goes to Eric and his living room which doubles as a communal area where you can meet other travellers. JJ Cottages is not directly in Munnar, which is good because you can just walk into the tea plantations from your hotel. Otherwise, the people working there can arrange a variety of activities for you (which we didn't take, by the way, although other travellers seemed content with the treks) and provide good information about things to do, buses and stuff.

Seems like the best deal in Munnar. They also own Zina Cottages, btw. Lastly, the permanently busy SN Restaurant is just across the street ... during the four days we stayed here we had every meal there. Really good food.

Room Tip: Rooms have fixed prices and range between 350 and 900 rupees.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Snapopoulos
Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Stayed at JJ Cottage for six nights. Excellent place. Super clean, comfortable room where everything worked; great hot shower. Lovely pillow and mattress. Very friendly and helpful staff for whom nothing was too much trouble. The location is quiet and centrally located to everything you might want to do in Munnar. Hope to come for another stay!.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

It was a pleasure to stay at JJ Cottage. Our room was large, spotlessly clean and smelled of lemon grass. The bed was large and extremely comfortable. The service was excellent. The staff were very helpful and helped us to organise a trek in the tea plantation. I cannot recommend this guesthouse more highly.

• Stayed April 2014