Ambady Estate
$81
$103
$91
  • Restaurant
The Whispering Meadows Munnar(Pallivasal)(Great Value!)
$45
$37
Agoda.com
$110
$81
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Munnar Tea Country Resort(Chithirapuram)
$70
$68
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe cottagessplit levelcardamom plantationquirky restaurantsemi detachedprivate gardenspiced teabird lifesleeping areacolonial stylereception areabirds chirpingkms before munnar townbird watchingcomfortable accommodationlush greenclose to nature
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The accommodation in Ambady is in little "cottages" dotted around the estate. These are split
level with the bedroom on the lower level and the top level more like a landing than a place to
spend time in. Unfortunately for us it rained most of the time we were there.Because of the
altitude we found the small restarant rather chilly, and the dinner portions a bit on the small
side.
The Manager,Mr.Shyam, was very helpful and accompanied us on our trek up the mountain
with a very knowledgeable local guide, which was the highlight of our visit to the Estate.

I imagine fine weather would have totally changed our experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marireland
Reviewed August 31, 2012

God must have created this place for some personal vacations!! Ambady Estate is infinitely beautiful. The estate comprises around 8 cottages in and sorrounded by lush green beauty.

This is THE place you come to relax! With not a lot of sightseeing options in Munnar (you can cover all in one day), it's important to stay in a place that pushes you closer to natural beauty. Ambady does just that.

At first, when you climb the main road onto the estate entrance, you'll probably feel it's the ideal location for horror movies. But slowly, it'll sink in and grow upon you.

Let's look at some key points.

Goods:
- The paths leading to the estate reception and the cottages are amazing. You can spend loads and loads of time here just walking and feeling the beauty.
- It feels like there's jungle all around. So, if that's your kind of holiday, go for it!
- Ambady people have planted a lot of stuff (cardmom, guavas etc) in the estate... makes it even better.
- Each cottage has it's private garden. Terrific for kids and adults!
- A couple of kilometers from the estate is the Punarjani center. There, you can enjoy evening shows of of Kathakali and Martial arts.
- All cottages are identical and extremely spacious. Multiple exits. Multiple windows. Big.
- They have limited staff members... but all are extremely courteous.
- The manager (Shyam Sunder) is very friendly. We had a plumbing problem in our cottage and he was quick to move us to another cottage.
- The cottages have all modern amenities.

Not-so-goods:
- The estate is a bit away from the town (10kms). Not that there's an added benefit staying in the town, but all your shops etc are in the town. Having said that, one thing good about the location is that it is on the way to the town. You don't have to deroute from anywhere to reach the hotel.
- Continuing with the above point, there's practically nothing to do after sunset. The drivers won't take you to town because it's a bit risky after sunset. So, you could just chill in your cottage.
- I can't say the food was a high point. It was decent. Plain decent. Some of our items were a bit oily for our liking. It could be improved. However, the breakfast was nice. There was no lavish buffet as such... just fruits and some items you could choose of the menu.
- I am not very sure of the safety. Anyone could come into the estate at any time. There are no security guards (not that I noticed) etc. Having said that, I am not aware if Munnar is such a place where you'd think about such things... but that's a definite perspective.
- There's no Internet in cottages. I'd like all hotels to have Internet. Having said that, the manager gave me his Internet Stick to use. It didn't work well for me.

Tips:
- You just CANNOT do without a car at your disposal. Also, use that car for all local sighseeing.
- If you intend to stay here for long... do get your books and shoes.

I have always been a person who wants to stay near the town (happening areas) and in known hotels... and lively crowds. However, my stay at Ambady has given me a new perspective. I realize what I have been missing. I can easily say my trip to Munnar was great because of Ambady. I would highly recommend you to stay here.

A note for the owner: If I were the owner of this place, I would add free wi-fi and a swimming pool to the list. Wow!! That would make it just too perfect to be true. Psst: I know that's wishful thinking.

Don't forget to say YES if you find the review useful.

Room Tip: All cottages are equally beautiful. Just pick whatever they give. However, if you prefer less walk, pick one that is closest to the reception (I think it's cottage # 1).
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
23  Thank Kshitij K
Reviewed May 27, 2012

It’s a wonderful place to stay. Our stay was fully refreshing. Very good hospitality. Very spacious rooms with all modern amenities. Each room has a private lawn in front and the back which gives you added privacy. This is a serene place. Those who love nature and wish to unwind themselves from city’s routine and stress full life this is an ideal place to stay. You can do trekking in the mountains through cardamom plantations which is over 70 acres. It’s an amazing experience as you can see different kind of very old trees, may be more than 200 yrs old. You can also spot different varieties of birds here. The manager and owners ensured that we feel home. We had a memorable stay and would love to visit again :D

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Meenakshi_2005
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This property is about 15 min from the town of Munnar and is in the middle of cardamom plantations. The staff took us for a 1 hour walk among the plantation, explaining how they harvest and dry cardamom.
The accommodation is huge with some small outdoor areas to relax. The food (in particular the masala tea) was very nice and could be delivered to our room.
We had problems with hot water on the first night (refreshing!) but the staff then fixed it. Nice stay with very nice staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My mother and I stayed at Ambady Estate over the long Easter weekend. This place is absolutely lovely, about 9 kms short of Munnar so away from the madding commercial hubbub and thankfully so. The villas are delightful, very well maintained (they look spanking clean and absolutely newly done) lots of lawn space in the front and back and each set of 2 villas is set away from the other to give them privacy. The villas are set in a huge cardamom plantation so every morning and evening, I went for long walks up the lush forest through the plantation and that has to be the highlight of my trip there. They practise organic farming- we even bought some lovely organic cardamom. The owner's live in a 90 year old house which was used for cardamom curing as the owner informed me. I wish there were around more during my stay as the manager isn't too aware of the history or other relevant information. The food was the only disappointment on this trip. There aren't enough options and the service is terribly slow. Having learnt the first day itself, we would place our order well in advance sometimes 12 hours and another time a minimum of 2 hours ahead but service was late everytime and the food cold at each meal by the time it was delivered to our room. I would definitely go back to Ambady Estate and recomend it highly for a peaceful stay.

Room Tip: All villas come with the same space and facilities, any one would be a good bet
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family