“Avoid if possible”

Ranked #23 of 95 Hotels in Munnar
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid if possible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Apart from the good views, this hotel is appalling. For starters it is at least 23km from Munnar, not 15 as claimed and it is not a good road. How it has a certificate of excellence from trip advisor, displayed in the reception office and dining room, beggars belief. The so called deluxe bedroom was small, and reminded my husband and I of a room in a brothal which we were once offered in the middle of the African bush. My husband found two hairs in the bed, so it was obvious that the sheets had not been changed. There was also only one thin blanket and it is cold at night in January, When I asked for another was given a grubby bed cover. There were no towels, so again when I enquirer I was told to wait as they were drying. No hot water in the shower, so we had to make do with a tap and bucket. Waited nearly an hour for two drinks and dinner was eventually served at 9.45pm. The staff, particularly the manager did not seem to care a jot and were positively rude. We were booked for two nights but checked out the next day after a.sleepless night on a rock hard mattress and were more than willing to pay extra to stay somewhere more comfortable and friendly. The rest of our trip in Munnar was great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Gerry W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Kochi (Cochin), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

A great place to stay and get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. The air so clean, the surroundings so calm and quiet. Even though it was only a 2 day trip we enjoyed quite a lot. I've been to many other hotels in Munnar but this was unlike any other. The rooms even though not very spacious were very comfortable to stay in, if you do not have a lot of luggage to carry. The rooms were very clean and had a TV. The restaurant served us with homely food which I felt was better than a heavy 3 to 4 course menu. The food is straight from your home kitchen, no artificial flavoring or other harmful ingredients and the price was very reasonable. All staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. Eco Friendly Wildlife Resort is the best resort in the Munnar I believe with the beautiful nature. Eagerly waiting for another trip to the same resort and i would definitely recommend this resort to all my family and friends.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ernakulam, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

If you are not close to the MD himself, chances are Mr. Anil Kumar will give away the room you booked, to someone with better connections. This was the fact, that i had to face when I arrived with my family, yesterday (4th of Jan 2014)at Wild Elephant Resort, Munnar. I had doubts, because, I had made the booking a week before my arrival and this guy never sent me the confirmation via email, pointing out internet issues. I had a 5 member family which was one of the main reasons I booked 1 room which could accomodate 5pax togather and Anil said that it was available on 4th. Now when I reached there, without even apologizing for the unprofessional behavior, this guy tells me that the room I had booked was already taken by the MDs guest and they had two separate rooms available. Please note that i had called him the same day twice and he never informs me about this. If i knew, I would have definitely looked for another hotel in Munnar. Since my family was tired i had no choice, but to take the 2 separate rooms. The place is really beautiful and the rooms are good, just that the current management is crappy.Try doing the booking from Ernakulam office, I hope they are professional. If at all you plan to visit make sure you ask for the room service staff Munna, actually he should have been the manager, a simple guy who actually knows what customer service is all about. Give your food orders directly to Munna and not Anil, or you would have to wait for the next 45 min just to find out from the kitchen that Anil never did gave your order to the kitchen. Dont even talk to this guy and you will have a good time there !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank sreekant30
seetharamankc, Owner at Wild Elephant Eco Friendly Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
We appreciate and honor reviews which are unbiased and constructive in nature but it seems this review was unfortunately written to undermine us and Mr Anil in particular for none of our faults. The Guest wanted to reserve the Leaf Cottage which is the cottage with the sit out. Mr. Anil had asked him to deposit an advance so that it can be blocked for him, which the Guest did not do, he had told him that he would come on the date of travel and take it , for which he was informed that it would be given only if available. On the day the Guest arrived the Leaf cottage was already given to someone else and the Guest was offered the Bamboo Cottage or Treetop cottage, but he insisted that he wanted the Leaf cottage which was already given to another guest who had booked earlier and paid advance. Holding us responsible for no fault of ours is totally unfair and also holding Mr Anil personally responsible is even more malicious as he was only performing his duties diligently. In fact the Guest has acknowledged that all other things are good. The reason for such a malicious review was the wrong expectation of the Guest that the Leaf cottage should be given to him even though he never booked it and paid advance booking amount for the same.
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Wonderful stay in a serene atmosphere., close to nature.
The resort is artistically designed. As is located away from the town, it is extremely quiet and we truly enjoyed a calm n pleasant vacation. The rooms were very clean and wonderful staff who were courteous. And we enjoyed the food at the resort cooked out of the organic vegetables, few of them farmed at the resort itself.

The best part of this venture is that, it enables the growth of business for the vendors in the neighboring areas.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Ok..time for a useful review for my 3 day stay with family at this resort. I must say that though Munnar was obviously a wrong vacation choice for me at this time of the year owing to the bad roads, unplanned road works, flying dust , chaotic traffic jams and tourist overload the resort made up for most of it owing to it's distance from the town and wonderful location.
The location :
____________
The resort is located 24 kms before Munnar and you need to take a left at a place called Kallar junction when travelling to Munnar on NH49.You need to travel another 9 kms on this road before reaching the resort.There is another beautiful but narrow road starting opposite the Munnar KSRTC bus stand through which you can reach the resort, but it is best to avoid this if night is approaching as it is quite desolate and yes - there are wild elephants on the rampage.
The Positives :
The surroundings are beautiful. You can laze away the day in the surrounding tea estates or take a small 1 km hike to the small but beautiful waterfall nearby. The brook accompanying the water fall can make for a good trek for those so inclined.
The Negatives:
You guessed it - Reaching Munnar itself can take upto an hour depending on the condition of the road and from there you again need to travel a long distance to reach popular tourist destinations like Top Station(35 kms from Munnar) , Madupetty dam/lake etc.This essentially means that if you do not have an early start you are not going to spend much time at these places.

The room :
____________
I had opted for a deluxe room as I had my reservations regarding the tree/mud cottages and requested for an extra bed which was graciously provided.
The Positives :
The room was clean and comfortable with a TV .
The Negatives :
I wish the rooms were bigger. Dont get me wrong here - Our family of four fit in the room snugly but there was hardly any walking space one you put in that extra bed.You had running hot water but it was from a thin trickle from a single tap which took the bucket ages to fill. It would be lovely to have a hot shower but it is something I can live without.

The Food :
____________
One word - homely. I loved the simple hot food served in the restaurant. The breakfast is free and consisted of bread toast, dosas/poories with jam,butter,sambar,chutney,potato curry.
The dinner menu had a choice of curd/steam rice,chappathis, 3 vegetable dishes and 3 chicken dishes.
The positives:
The food could be straight from your home kitchen. It was warm and the price was very reasonable.
The negatives:
The menu could not be termed as lavish and for some simple food at an exotic location might be a turnoff. But again it is a matter of choice.

The Service :
____________

All staff were very friendly. What struck me was that most of the part time staff were students doing professional courses who opted to work here to make some pocket money and I admire that attitude.
The positives:
Very friendly, polite and helpful.
The negatives:
I had a feeling that they were a tad understaffed as some simple requests such as a glass of hot water took ages. But then I am nit-picking here.

Other Tips :
____________

The resort does not accept card payments owing to connectivity issues. So carry required cash and more as there are no ATMs in the vicinity. In fact the only ATMs you will find is at Munnar town and good luck with parking your vehicle in the traffic and trying to get cash only to discover that some ATMs do not accept Master card.
Also make sure you have enough fuel as I could find only one fuel station after Adimali and that is at the beginning of Munnar town.You see a Indian Oil board and a pump on the road(side) literally and if your luck is good, stopping your vehicle their for a refuel should cause a traffic block.

In short, would I recommend this resort - Yes .
Would I visit it again - Maybe.
But I would not visit Munnar at this time of the year when traffic is at its peak and roads at its nadir.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SonyMathew
Thrissur, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Not Happy At All !!!

I agree with most of the other reviews. The location is in a remote area around 25 kms from Munnar. It has spectacular views and the resort is pretty well maintained. The staff are well mannered and attentive.

Food is not so great, not much variety either.

But the cottage I got was horrible

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
While we regret the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at our place, your review actually appreciates the facilities the location and almost everything. It is unfortunate that you did not like the room which was offered and it was also regrettable that we could not offer you our cottages as we were full on that day, we had even informed the agent through whom you had booked about this fact. We regret the inconvenience once again and request you to book yourself in our cottages once again and we assure you the best of our services
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was there with my family in November. It was a memorable trip with family. Spectacular views of tea estate and deep forest from wherever you're in the property.Resort sits atop a hill in midst stunning scenic beauty. If you are looking for peace do visit the place.

Room Tip: Rooms on Ist floor have very nice view.