“excellant taste”
Review of Hotel Fidalgo

Hotel Fidalgo
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Panjim
Reviewed May 28, 2012

we visited sevaral times to fidalgo.We liked the vegetarian section,especially chats.It is in the main panaji market ,so easily you will get it.sometimes some exhibitions are also in the first floor.Even bakery is is also excellant.

Room Tip: we always goes to restorent so i didn"t have the idea.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sumapuranik
There are newer reviews for Hotel Fidalgo

Reviewed May 26, 2012

A decent business hotel in a place which caters essentially to tourism.Budget wise and comfort wise it is decent and has good business facilities by Goa standards.There are not too many hotels in that intermediate range which would have these services in Goa.Staff are friendly and hospitable but pretty laid back.It takes time to check in/check out/get room service though the quality of the food etc is quite good.So if you are in a hurry,give 5-10 minutes extra.Don't use the minibar if you want to check out in a hurry or get it locked up a day earlier.Also some of the facilities such as mineral water are limited and usually run out for the average traveller.

Room Tip: Take the rooms facing the swimming pool.Also they have club ,premium,executive club and executive pr...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I was planning to go Goa with my family for a short vacation in July 2011. I got a call from Fidalgo Club offering some lucrative club membership which offers discounts on the overall package. We took this membership and when we went to this hotel, we were stunned.
1. Hotel Rooms: Rooms are very small and uncomfortable. These rooms are like pigeon nest, if you stretch your hands, you will can touch both sides of the room
2. Swimming pool: Swimming pool is very small and it looks like it was made for the sake of swimming pool
3. Spa & Gym: No gym, No Spa…. Complete disaster
4. Food: Food is nice, thank god at least something which made us happy
5. Ambience: Pathetic ambience, on the last two days, there was some event happening on the first floor. With loud music, noise from guests we couldn’t sleep till mid night. And moreover, next day there was some repairing work going on the rooms. With drilling and repairing work, we couldn’t sleep at all. After several complain to the hotel management, there was not resolution to my problem
6. Complaining to Hotel Manager (I should say the senior most person in the hotel) it was like talking against the wall. No reaction, not resolution, not courtesy call nothing from them
This hotel is only suitable for people traveling for a business trip for one day. There is nothing to do in this hotel. It is located in the heart of the city; hence you can travel most of the places in north goa very comfortably. Otherwise I DON’T SUGGEST THIS HOTEL AT ALL.

Room Tip: All rooms are like piegon nest. if you have option, please choose rooms on the first floor. Hope the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Sopan U
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Great location, nice food including an excellent breakfast and a lovely room made our stay at Fidalgo a very happy one.

On the negative side, the hotel is very expensive. Reception needs to learn to smile.

The hotel is located in the heart of the shopping district of Panjim. If you don’t care about the shops but prefer to just contemplate life, the Mandovi river which is a ten minute slow walk down quiet streets is the ideal place. The Panjim Municipal Market, another interesting place, is on the way to the river.

There is a taxi stand in front of the hotel and a rickshaw stand at the other end of the hotel.

The Privilege Premium room was very spacious and beautifully furnished. It didn’t have much of a view but that wasn’t much of a negative considering the beauty of the room itself. The beds were comfortable and the hot water in the shower was probably the best I’ve experienced in my many hotel stays so far - the water remained uniformly hot throughout without becoming too hot. The bathroom is quite small. The air-conditioning was a little uneven in different parts of the room but not enough to complain about. The breakfast is outstanding. Great variety, tasty food.

The price of the room reflects all the positives and is probably much more than I would want to or could pay in normal circumstances. There are cheaper hotels if you look around although they are not in the same class as Fidalgo, of course.

The hotel has around 4 restaurants, each serving different cuisines including street food of Bombay, Goan cuisine, Gujarati food and a multi-cuisine one. We tried the Goan restaurant – O Goa. The food was par excellence, service however was very slow, which is actually probably a problem all through Goa. There was a live music show at the restaurant and most of the patrons had come for a drink and to watch the girls in the show, so they probably didn’t even notice the service!

‘Reception’ was definitely cold but largely efficient. Check out could have been smoother.

If some friends of mine had not been accused of taking away a box of tissues and had their bags checked at an earlier visit (for a plastic box of tissues!!!!), I would have rated the hotel much higher than I have.

Room Tip: The hotel is surrounded by buildings, so don't bother to choose a room based on the view. The Pr...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank CharlesBrown
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Fidalgo for a week while on a business trip. This property was deemed to be "nice for foreigners." The rooms were aesthetically unappeasing but the worst part was the smell coming from the bathrooms. It consistently smelled of an unclean toilet. Also the showers are not partitioned from the rest of the bathroom so everything in the bathroom, with the exception of the countertops, got wet. There were only 2 handheld hairdryers to be shared amongst all the hotel guests. Every morning I would have to call reception and ask for them to find me a hand dryer. It would typically take an hour for the staff to locate one of the two. Every afternoon they would remove it from my room when I left for the office so the next morning I would have to go through the process all over again. Also don't plan on relaxing by the pool past midnight. The staff will kick you out at 24:00 sharp. The biggest problem I had was the staff cleaning rooms at 7:00 in the morning. The walls/doors certainly weren't sound proof and they were talking loudly, slamming things, etc. They woke me up every morning at 7:30 to ask if I had laundry to send out. I repeatedly asked management to ensure that they left me alone in the mornings since I worked late nights, but they ALWAYS called my room and woke me up to ask this.
My confirmed reservations were also incorrect. I changed my reservation date two weeks before arrival. Upon arrival the hotel, the staff argued that I never changed my date and that they were booked to capacity. I showed them my confirmed, printed reservation and they eventually found a room for me. My coworkers reservation was also incorrect and when he arrived at 2am, for his room, they wouldn't provide him with one even though he had a reservation confirmation number. He spent over an hour trying to find somewhere else to stay in the city.
I was very disappointed with this hotel and certainly will chose a different hotel on my next trip to Goa.

Room Tip: Don't chose the economy rooms. If you HAVE to stay there, it is worth it to upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Aundrea N
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I had the misfortune of staying at the Fidalgo recently and must say that i came back extremely disappointed. The services are befitting that of a non star property with basics like towels, slippers, tea/coffee supplies missing from the rooms and what was shocking was the attitude of the staff right from the top to the bottom. I would strongly recommend that you find a better property which gives you value for money. Fidalgo charges you like a star property and gives you services and attitude like a dharamshala. The rooms are very basic and lack any modern luxuries. The property is fit for only cheap tour operators and not business and tourists wanting some luxury and comfort.

Room Tip: Stay Away from the property if you can.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ViiveckVerma
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Conveniently located in the heart of Panaji.
Good Hotel for people who have come to Goa for Business purpose, otherwise it is advisable to stay in sea facing hotels only.
Room Tariff is bit high. Rooms are are comfortable and spacious.
Food price is very high (as is in most places in Goa)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business