“Great location”
Review of Hotel Mandovi

Hotel Mandovi
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Panjim
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel and had rooms facing the river. The hotel has a great location and is, I am told, one of the oldest hotels in Panjim. The hotel, however, shows wear and tear. It needs upgrading and modernization, particularly the bathrooms. The staff is very helpful in every way.

Room Tip: It is a great location but the hotel is showing wear and tear. It is one of the oldest hotels in the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Satish_Prabhu, General Manager at Hotel Mandovi, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback which is truly appreciated.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I traveled with my wife to this hotel last week. My expectations felt flat after the hotel failed to meet my expectations during my whole stay. Although I have no complaints regarding the room and the hotel location per se, but I have serious issues with the Restaurant staff and the food.

I had booked a package via a well known travel website to this hotel. Make no mistake as I was going there at a peak time, it was not at all cheap for me. The reception and lobby staff are cordial and friendly. My issue started with the food and the restaurant. The choice of menu they have for a buffet breakfast/dinner is horrible. The only saving grace is the bread/butter and jam...but this is not what I had paid for is it? Although there are certain items in the breakfast and dinner which were good, but major part of the food they served were way below par. The idea here is not to make sure the food is available in the pots, but also to make sure the food is palatable. There were numerous dishes which I felt were kept just for the heck of it, though I think it’s not my job to name them, the hotel management should seriously look into this. Also the vegetarian options lack the zeal to grab attention. At the end of a 3 course meal, they give only one desert. On one occasion there was chocolate mousse which is a dessert containing egg, what does a guest do if he/she is a vegetarian with a fully paid package. Isn’t it un-ethical on the hotels counterpart to make the guest spend twice to get what is needed? The hotel management should strictly consider revamping their buffet menu and also the prices for that matter of fact.

A large amount of the time it was noticed, that the restaurant staff were only strictly interested in people who were ordering on an ala carte basis and we didn't even get a dime of an attention. This is my biggest issue and I am displeased on that, since I also had paid for getting a decent service. I was told by my car driver that this was the first established hotel in GOA, shouldn’t it then lives up to its reputation and respect. I have lost the love and the respect for this hotel, swearing I will never return to it and also would not recommend it to my friends.

My final verdict goes that travel at your own risk, only for the location advantage which is Panaji market and the Mandovi river.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Satish_Prabhu, General Manager at Hotel Mandovi, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Sir,

At the onset my sincere apologies, for the inconvenience that may have been caused to you during your stay with us.

It being the year end peak season and the extraordinary pressure, it is possible there may have been some kind of flaws on that particular day, from the concerned department, which could have been rectified at our end most promptly if you were to report the same.

At the Hotel Mandovi, every effort is made to ensure our guest are accorded the best of Hospitality and care to make their stay as pleasant as possible.

We have noted the points you have mentioned in the context of your mail and the same have been addressed and rectified keeping in mind the ethos and the high standards we maintain at the Hotel Mandovi.

We would like to also put a record for the general viewer that our package was not "full board" but only buffet breakfast and meal credit totally amounting to Rs. 450/- + taxes per person.

We would appreciate, if you share your contact/mailing address details with us via return mail, so that we could understand and get a hand on feedback in the matter and send you a gift voucher that can be utilized by you during your future visit.

We appreciate and value your time and efforts.

With Best wishes

Satish Prabhu

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed in Mandovi on an official visit to Goa.
The location of the hotel is really an asset. It is located Bang on the main road in the Heart of Panjim thereby making it easy to locate / access.

Courteous and polite staff. OK food quality but a few items can be added to the Buffet Breakfast. Rooms are worn out and require an uplift so does the restaurant. Quiet Old in terms of interiors but with changing times, i am sure, the hotel needs to make necessary changes to sustain themselves especially when, there are new properties not so far away. No parking facility or basic amenities for drivers is a negative.

Something that bothered was the policy to ask for entire charges(Room rent) in advance before check in... I guess they need to ease out a little.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the river !
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Satish_Prabhu, General Manager at Hotel Mandovi, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Prashant,
Thank you for your feedback on our property.

As listed by you, we have taken up the issues raised by you with our department. As you are aware, we one of the oldest property in Goa since 1952. and are know for our hospitality the world over.

We have always strived to maintain the Heritage look of the Hotel with changing times & the same is appreciated by all our guest who visit us and carry nostalgic memories of the property.
We once again thank you for your valuable time & look forward to seeing you again during your visit to Goa.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 days. Our stay was very comfortable. The rooms are large, luxurious and very clean. The staff is really nice and the service is amazing. The food is really tasty.

It is a good pick if you do not have your own vehicle since it is at the heart of Panjim city. You can easily get two-wheelers on rent. The bus-stop, the market, and the other restaurents are really close by. If I am not mistaken, you can also catch the Mandovi cruises just across the street.

A really good choice if convenience and luxury are your criteria.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Satish_Prabhu, General Manager at Hotel Mandovi, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to review us. We are more than happy that your stay was comfortable due to our location and the most talked about food.

We look forward to welcome you again to The Mandovi!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have been staying in Mandovi for last few years because of its location and ease to access from anywhere. A drawback is that they do not provide even basic ameneties for drivers if you are driving into Goa. However, close to the hotel there are some facilities like cheap rooms, dormatories etc which could be used by drivers of your cars.

The hotel is pretty old style, but rooms are OK. Food is very good. Being a vegetarian, I like the dal too much. Even my non-vegetarian friends prefer to eat in the Mandovi. They maintain the old Goan culture in serving and the food. The goan curries are genuine.

After the work or site seeing, you would enjoy to have a stroll along the Mandovi river or some window shopping in the market, both are actually in front and behind the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't take the base category rooms. They are too bad.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sir,

Thank you for patronizing The Mandovi over these years.Your feedback is valuable to us, and we are glad that your stay was made more comfortable due to our location and the food.

We look forward to more opportunities to serve you.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

The stay was very comfortable & the FO staff as well room service were very courteous.The location of the Hotel & the views from the window is quite pleasant.The breakfast served was quite satisfactory.

Room Tip: Highly recommended,due to its very convinient location & service.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Satish_Prabhu, General Manager at Hotel Mandovi, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Mr. Mohan,

Thank you for your rating and feedback which is truly appreciated. We are glad that the views from the hotel and our colleagues made your stay enjoyable.

We look forward to an opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed in this hotel after approximately 6 years. I came in as early as 7:50 am and they allotted me nice room facing the sea. The hotel is very old and needs some quick renovation. The food is good and so is the staff. I liked staying in this hotel as it is centrally located and I can just walk around the city or to Miramar beach. Just, opposite is the Mandovi, perfect location. But, guys improve on you infrastructure.

Room Tip: Go for premium executive rooms facing the Mandovi river.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.
We are in the process of doing renovations. And we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and the food and staff ensured that your stay was even more comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Mandovi!