“Very deserving of its #1 rating”

Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho
Ranked #1 of 47 Panjim B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very deserving of its #1 rating”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were lucky enough to be visiting Panaji on the off-season so our backpacker's budget was able to stretch (just) to be able to enjoy what ended up being 5 nights of Roy's fabulous hospitality and tastefully renovated old villa. Everything about our stay was fabulous, from the comfortable room and bed, the nicely cooling aircon, flatscreen TV for the necessary down time watching some good old cable TV, fantastic wifi, lovely bathroom and toiletries replenished without our having to ask, and the wonderful spread laid out for breakfast. Roy is a fantastic host, a fountain of local knowledge, tips, pointers, and - crucial for gluttons such as ourselves - amazing food recommendations. He even took us for a drive to a local workingmen's club type affair, of which he helps govern, for a truly local specialty on our last night: toasted pav rolls stuffed with Goan sausage filling. So good we immediately retreated back around to pick up seconds. A fantastic end to our stay! Can say with all honesty this is one place we'd love to return to!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jared M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Amazing beautiful house in a wounderfull neighborhood.
Very good breakfast and different everyday.
Roy explain to us very well the best way to visit Panjin, Old Goa and Goa in general. Also shown us some very good restaurants with goese food and took us by car twice to take us to the bus station or show us places to visit.
I totally recommend this place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GuiPinto111
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have not been disappointed in anyway

This house is lovely, the service is outstanding, just how I like it and way better than most of the five star Hotels I have been to during my travels.

Not only the environment but a Special thanks goes to the great guy who has been my host the entire time. Roy, is the most help full and generous host you can imagine.
I would put the expectations high if I would start to detail what he has done to make my stay perfect. So, be surprised and aware that this guesthouse not only appreciates their guest but fully understands what is needed to turn your stay into Holidays!

I am very grateful I found this place where I stayed over 5 days in total. Hopefully, I will be able to return with my little family for another Chat with Roy and an excellent stay in this dream house.

Ava

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed May 4, 2013

At the end of 5 months of travelling, we ended up in Panaji with the plan to have one night there after which we would find a beach hut and relax for a few weeks before heading home. Ten nights later we were still with Roy and Sharon at the Hospedaria! We couldn't bring ourselves to leave such a gorgeous place.
Roy and Sharon's generous hospitality is now legendary (just read the other reviews), and their beautifully restored guesthouse is the ultimate in luxury. We couldn't believe how lucky we were to end our trip on such a high note. If you are coming to Goa - We highly recommend staying here.. you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed here last week for 7 days...The restoration of the Portuguese house into a guest house has been done beautifully by the owner Roy...Its comfortable, clean, cozy and in a nice neighborhood...Roy and his wife were extremely helpful whether it was taking me to the chemist for buying medicines or dropping me to a nearby cafe...Definitely a place I would stay at again :)

Room Tip: The 1st floor corner room has an amazingly spacious balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Very often, words like perfect tend to sound exaggerated but I wouldn't know any other way to describe our experience at Hospedario Abrigo del Botelho. It's a lovingly run place with all the comforts of a top end establishment with the coziness of a friendly family-run guest house. It's in the most atmospheric part of the city, the Latin Quarter, and in a very handy location as the best restaurants and cafes were just a short walk away. Our room had a verandah on two sides overlooking the quiet street of the Latin quarter with a rocking chair and a little table outside to enjoy a cup of tea and read a book on lazy afternoons. The room was cleaned every day and was generally very well-appointed. Mr. Roy was always handy with tips when we didn't know where to eat or what to do and was immensely helpful with everything else we needed as well. There's a lovely garden to enjoy the complimentary breakfast which had a wide range of choice and was so filling, we could have skipped lunch. It's a beautiful place to stay when you're in Panjim. It's one of the very few places I've stayed in my 3 years of travelling that I couldn't find a single thing to nitpick about.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs, especially one in the left hand corner is very good value.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveholics
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We extended our stay here from 3 nights to 12 when we quickly realised this was the absolute best option in Goa (and quite likely India).
Centrally located yet quiet, this beautifully restored heritage building has been furnished to an extremely high standard. Luxuriously decorated with a superb buffet breakfast included, the best praise is for Roy, the owner and his wife; two genuinely caring and kind people who in no small part made our stay truly memorable.

• Stayed April 2013