Afonso was recommended to me by a friend, and I booked it ahead of time via 'myindianstay.com'. I stayed there for one week, and was travelling alone. I found the place charming, welcoming, spotlessly clean, and very comfortable. Jeanette, the charming landlady, runs it with great efficiency, with a team of young women. I found everyone friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. Afonso serves only breakfasts; this is served on the roof top terrace which has a lovely view of the tiled roofs, and trees, of Fontainhas. The mornings, with the church bells ringing at St. Sebastian's down the road and the bustle of local people and vendors, give a feel of what the place must have been like in the centuries gone by. There's a lovely sense of history about this little "heritage" space (the old Latin quarter) of Panjim, and Afonso is a in a prime location. The guest house, and its neighbourhood, is extremely safe; walking around the streets at night too is very evocative of another time, especially as many residents have been living there for generations. There are reasonably priced restaurants nearby; Viva Panjim is good for Goan food, and Tea Cafe down the road has lovely cakes, and filter coffee! The Goa State Archives and Library are down the road (for scholars interested in this); the Central Library and main bus station are a ten minute walk away. The Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception too is only about 5-7 minutes away, from where one can walk into different parts of the town. I recommend Afonso very highly, and particularly women travelling alone would find this safe and comfortable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Afonso Guest House, run by Panaji's reputed Afonso family, is more than just a guest house to its many patrons. Nestled in the capital city's quaint Latin quarter of Fontainhas, it is a veritable bridge between Goa's Portuguese past and Indian present. A favoured haunt for many an adventurous traveller for over three decades, its hospitality and peppy spirit show no sign of aging and are still as fresh as they were back then. It makes no pretense of being luxurious; instead, Afonso Guest House prides itself in being simplistic and practical. With its friendly and welcoming hosts, it's truly your home away from home-clean and functional, the rooms are airy, and equipped with everything a traveler might need. However, the clincher is its lovely terrace graced with potted plants where traditional Goan breakfasts are served to guests every morning, overlooking the whitewashed St Sebastian Chapel. So, if you seek home in a foreign land, come over! Really! You won't regret it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Afonso Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Afonso Gues House Hotel Panaji
- Afonso Guest House Goa/Panjim