“Charming, clean, comfortable”

Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Panjim
New Delhi, India
“Charming, clean, comfortable”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Afonso was recommended to me by a friend, and I booked it ahead of time via 'myindianstay.com'. I stayed there for one week, and was travelling alone. I found the place charming, welcoming, spotlessly clean, and very comfortable. Jeanette, the charming landlady, runs it with great efficiency, with a team of young women. I found everyone friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. Afonso serves only breakfasts; this is served on the roof top terrace which has a lovely view of the tiled roofs, and trees, of Fontainhas. The mornings, with the church bells ringing at St. Sebastian's down the road and the bustle of local people and vendors, give a feel of what the place must have been like in the centuries gone by. There's a lovely sense of history about this little "heritage" space (the old Latin quarter) of Panjim, and Afonso is a in a prime location. The guest house, and its neighbourhood, is extremely safe; walking around the streets at night too is very evocative of another time, especially as many residents have been living there for generations. There are reasonably priced restaurants nearby; Viva Panjim is good for Goan food, and Tea Cafe down the road has lovely cakes, and filter coffee! The Goa State Archives and Library are down the road (for scholars interested in this); the Central Library and main bus station are a ten minute walk away. The Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception too is only about 5-7 minutes away, from where one can walk into different parts of the town. I recommend Afonso very highly, and particularly women travelling alone would find this safe and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
17 Thank girlwanderer63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Solf, Finland
Reviewed May 17, 2013

A very beautiful and rustique house in the charming area of Fontainhas in Panjim. We really enjoyed our stay here and it was the best address we found during our five weeks in Goa. It is clean and charming and has a nice roof terrace where you can have breakfast and it is easy to meet other travellers. The owners are very friendly and helpful and we immediately felt "at home" here. Fontainhas is very calm and very beautiful and probably the best area to stay in Panjim. It is easy to walk around and the center is not far away. There are also a few very good restaurants close by and I would like to mention a modest and marvellous place called "Fishland" situated only a few blocks away.
We first stayed three nights at Afonso Guesthouse when we arrived in Goa. A few weeks later we chose to come back here and sort things out with our home country after our wallets with money, VISA-cards and smartphones had been stolen from our hotel room at Wavelet Beach Resort in Palolem, South Goa. Because the theft happened only a few days before our planned departure to Sri Lanka we could not stick to our plan, but had to wait for new VISA-cards to arrive. Going back to Afonso Guesthouse in Panjim felt like the best option since we knew we liked it there and our second stay at Afonsos lasted almost two weeks. I think it is recommedable to call a day before you arrive as they only have eight rooms and these seem to often be fully booked.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Cia H
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We were very glad to have stayed at this really cute, cozy place with a true Goan feel (and in a good location in town). It's impeccably clean, charmingly decorated, and well run by te very helpful, very pleasant Mrs. Afonso and her son.
Perks here that not all guest houses have: cleanliness throughout, AC, warm shower, spotless bed linens, local flare, great staff.
Two things to keep in mind: checkout is an early 9am, and the single beds are a bit smaller than a standard twin.

• Stayed May 2013
14 Thank marvicruz
San Francisco
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I spent three nights at Afonso in March and loved it. While not the most inexpensive, it was very clean, secure and Jeanette is extremely helpful as a source of information and tour guide. It's located a bit away from the center of town which is nice because it's quiet but easy to walk to everything from Afonso. The terrace and breakfast served was very good and while other travellers have posted that it was not a good deal, for the off season I don't think it can be beat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
15 Thank Beth G
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Why I said 'almost' perfect is because as human beings we're so greedy, we always like a little more. That emotion apart, Afonso was the best thing to happen to me. I went solo and was later joined by my partner at this gorgeous, warm, cosy, quaint guesthouse run by the affable Clifton Afonso and the very helpful Mrs Afonso. The first thing that attracted me to this place was the artistically designed guesthouse board. I then noticed the chapel whose bells I later woke up to. And right after that, my eyes caught the wooden staircase leading to the guesthouse terrace. This is where I spent a lot of time in the company of bougainvillea and orchids. The rooms were neat and clean with attached toilets. They had a good vibe, hard to miss. Another highpoint of staying in Afonso was the Fountainhas neighbourhood full of little cafes and art-galleries, a walk down the same took my breath away. It was Portuguese, it was French, it was simply amazing! I couldn’t have wished for more. Or, wait, maybe a breakfast menu with some pancakes, green tea, muffins, sausages etc would take Afonso from the category of 'almost perfect' to 'perfect'. That's the only thing I missed. Hey Clifton, are you listening? : )

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Bhavna_Kher
Bonn, Deutschland
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed there in March for 5 nights.It was the most beautiful place to be during our world tour through India.Calm and with lots of love furnished rooms.Cleaned every day.Dobby/Washing service was possible too And the amazing terrace on the roof with plenty of flowers for a little rest or breakfast was great too.But the thing we enjoyed most was the owner family.The warmhearted and familiar ownerlady an her smart son with all their inspiration, where to go and what so see, made our stay really special. There is no better place to be in Panjim.....Thanks a lot. Kartara Carola & Horst Schmitz from Germay

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful.If you can choose, take a room on the first floor.There is the wifi box....V...