“Rejuvenating with Afonso”

Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Panjim
Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India
“Rejuvenating with Afonso”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel is excellent in all perspectives . Afonso is a best option for budget tourist, Location is excellent, even though the food is not available here, but room service , room condition and staff there are very helpful, i would give this hotel thumbs up.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank review_k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My friends and I booked a room at Hotel Afonso for a very brief night in Panaji. We needed a place to stay between our travels from Mandrem Beach and catching a flight at the Goa airport at 4 a.m. We arrived the day the owner's daughter was getting married. The staff couldn't have been friendlier in the midst of all the excitement. The building itself has loads of charm, beautiful light coming through trees and iron work in the windows, clean rooms, and comfortable beds. The staff arranged for a driver to pick us up at 1:30 in the morning to take us to the airport. When we were loading into the taxi, the proprietress called the driver to double check he was there and we were on time. Very commendable service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Zoom_Strub
Pune, India
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I are backpackers but have also had our share of sophisticated over-the-top expensive stays, world over. When traveling to Goa, being regulars, we have stayed at really expensive resorts as well as cheap one's. This particular stay was intentionally chosen by us, to experience Panaji. The afonso guest house is for the hippie at heart. Very cosy and in a great neighborhood, especially if you like walking. Our last stay was at Panjim Inn, in the same locality, which was great but also cost us a bomb. This time we drove down, so we had transportation, which was very convenient! We saved up our money and spent it on wining and dining at the best beach resorts in town.
Afonso Guest house is very quaint, for the simpleton. It has all the facilities you would want for a comfortable stay, but its certainly no luxury or boutique hotel, and they don't claim to be! I went through the other 2/3 star reviews and believe people expected something grander.
This is a place for those who enjoy simplicity and old style. The rooms are not elaborate but have old goan character. The place is classic and uncluttered. They provide you with simple soap and towels. We carried our own because I enjoy my girly brands. There is no safe/locker but we had all our money on us, so this was not a problem. The bed linen is thin, but I see no reason why they would not give us extra's if we so needed them. We specifically asked for an A/C room. Viva Panjim is at earshot, and I wanted to eat authentic - really authentic - and reasonably priced goan food, so this was quite amazing. All in all, when I want to enjoy real goa, this is the place I'm going to go to, again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Radhika B
Jaipur
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Afonso in early Jan 2013 and had a wonderful experience. Comfortable rooms and bed, hot water (which I soon discovered would be a sought after luxury), decent breakfasts and a stunning location. The owners are wonderful too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GrooveTraveller
Panjim, India
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I arrived at Afonso's feeling very unwell so was relieved to find Clifton's friendly and efficient welcome. The room was spotless and comfortable and over the next few days both him and his mother were keen to help me feel better, providing tea and tonics. The pictures do the place justice - the building, street and area are really charming and the upstairs terrace is a lovely bonus. Ask for a front facing room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Andy9B
Toronto
Reviewed January 17, 2013

For 1000 rupees, this would be an acceptable place, for 2500 to have a tiny room directly in front of the reception, at street level with horns, passerbys and construction, single beds and stained sheets, no soap , no blankets, no toilet paper, no a/c and a 9am checkout , this place was a scam.

Room Tip: pick another hotel