“Best on The West End”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in West End
Sacramento
“Best on The West End”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Just feet from the ocean... stay at one of their bungalos..we had stayed here for 4 years consecutively. Absolutely wonderful stay. the hammock on the balcony, plus a small refrigerator was a plus. And quite the bargain !

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Wayne, PA
Reviewed September 6, 2010

After doing some research I was still up in the air on where to stay, Mariposa and a couple others were on the list. Decided on the 4 day/6 dive package at Seagrape Plantation and it turned out to be a good choice. Mariela and the staff are great. I really liked that boats went out at 830am, 1030am and 230pm for single tank dives. Unlike like most other places I’ve dived that do a 2 tank dive in the morning, rush you through your surface interval for the next dive and then dump you off so they can pick up the afternoon dive group. I did the 830am then would chill out for awhile, read my book, work out, etc, then walk into town for lunch and then do the 230pm. Kind of fills up your day as there isn't a whole lot else to do on Roatan but dive.

I like the bungalows on the water. These are rustic little cabins on the water; most of the accommodations in the West End are like this. If you are looking for a 5 star luxury resort like in Cancun... well you should probably go to Cancun along with a few thousand other people. This is an uncrowded island, at least at this time of year. There are some higher end places scattered around the island, but they seemed kind of isolated. Like Parrot Bay, beautiful but not a soul there.

The diving was great and as easy as I have ever done in many many years. The package included all the equipment so I didn't even bring my gear, just my mask and dive computer. There is a swim ladder right off the iron beach in front of the bungalows which I'm sure would make for a great shore dive but I didn't do any because the boat was so convenient.

It really is a short walk into town which I made a couple of times a day or more. This was a really slow time, there was hardly anyone around, and after a day I was recognizing people at breakfast and lunch. A couple of comments on food, someone posted on here that the Pad Thai he had at Tong's was the best he had had anywhere. Well I could not argue with that statement as it was excellent and maybe the best meal I had all week, although a little on the pricier end.

Best meal deal on the West End in my opinion is the Noodle Shack. Excellent, large portions, almost enough for lunch and dinner if you have a frig and a microwave in your room. Not too thrill about the Mexican food at Cannibal Cafe, better off getting the 3 taco plate from the guy standing on the street with his grill.

After I used up all my dives I got the cheapest car for a day to go explore the island and switched my location to the center of town at the Mariposa. They had a spot where I could park my car because I rented it from noon to noon and drove all over the place. It’s worth doing. Seriously this car was perfect, so many dents and scratches I didn’t have to worry about taking it “off road” and I did. Nothing worked on this car but the AC and the gas gauge, perfect. Still almost ran out of gas on the opposite end of the island near Jonesville. Asked some kids if there was any place to get gas and they pointed me in the right direction. Not a gas station of course, more like a little store with nothing really to sell. Told them I needed 5 gallons and they show up 5 minutes later with a random assortment of gallon jugs with what looked like gasoline. After prying open the gas cap cover, the release mechanism didn’t work, they stuck a funnel in and filled me up. I think that was the excitement for the day in Jonesville.

Anyway the Mariposa was a good deal, had a little kitchenette and TV and a huge supply of DVDs. But I kind of missed the hammock looking over the water at Seagrape, oh and the small pool was sparkling clean and very refreshing. I ended up going back and diving with them again one last time. I would say if you are traveling with someone and it’s a busier season then the Seagrape is the better deal, especially for diving. But in the slow season and by yourself you may want to opt for something in town like the Mariposa.

On the last day walked down the beach to West Bay, it takes about 40 minutes and water taxis are $3. From what I had read I thought I was going to find a little Cancun there. I was very pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t anything like that. The beach is beautiful and although much more built up than West End it is still pleasant and relatively low key. There are some larger resorts there but still much of the beach front is taken up by smaller hotels and some of the rustic wooden cabins like on West End. Las Rocas looked like a cool place and they have a good room/dive package.

On West End there were so few people, those day sailing/snorkeling trips you find everywhere in the Caribbean couldn’t get enough passengers to go out. So if you are traveling with children or nondivers West Bay is probably better for options on things to do. Although I went to West Bay when the cruise ships were not in port so maybe I saw it at its least crowded.

All in all a great trip and I will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank captcu2
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed for five days at Seagrape with friends and found the hotel to be clean and quaint with very friendly people. Very reasonable price for what you get. No restaurant on site but well within walking distance of town, where there are numerous restaurants. Our favorite place was Tong's, where the Thai food was incredible. Great drink there called King Tong! The best breakfast place was Rudy's, great food and wonderful service. We took a boat tour with Sam, who was a wonderful island and snorkel guide. He can be found on the docks in town. Just ask for Sam at any dock. Great island to visit and we hope to return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank domgod
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I have taken a 2-week vacation here 3 years in a row. My typical vacation day consists of walking to breakfast, diving, eating lunch, diving, going to happy hour and dinner and then to sleep. The Seagrape is wonderful. They have a great dive shop, the family who runs the place are very friendly and accommodating. In fact I just booked my trip for next year. I love the little cabins looking over the water, however if you want cable TV, go for a room.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Dallas Texas
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed in a sweet little bungalow with a perfect view of the iron shore. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The Seagrape had its own dive shop that was run by a very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Tony, Kelvin, and Racheal made us feel very comfortable and went out of their way to schedule dives that we were interested in.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Net access (.3mb/s for 10USD) and access from rooms closet to office. Wonderful place, clean and funky. Close to action but far enough away to have peace.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Had a pleasurable week at the Seagrape. Rooms are clean, they have A/C and they are great for groups. The pool area, dock, and central area were great for our large group of over 25. We all felt very welcomed and taken care of. I would recommend Seagrape to anyone without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 7 in West End

Been to Seagrape Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!