“Best dive shop in Roatan”

Seagrape Plantation Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My first ocean dive was at Seagrapes dive shop. The staff there were so courteous and helpful. Their equipment is top notch. I went on four dives, each at a different location. Everyone on the boat and at the shop went out of their way to make it an experience I will not soon forget. If I'm ever so fortunate as to visit Roatan again, Seagrapes will be where I stay and dive!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Seagrape Plantation Resort

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect but I couldn't have been more pleased. This family-run business exudes warmth and welcome in every conceivable way. From the moment Cleve picks you up at the airport until you pack it in and leave this tropical paradise, it feels like coming home. This was my first time visiting Roatan and I was instantly struck by how "untouristy" it was, even though there were plenty of us around. Located at the end of the main and only real street in West End, Seagrape is quiet and sufficiently removed from the centre of things even as virtually everything you would want is no more than a five minute stroll away. Rooms are air-conditioned and comfortable with a nice shower although, next time, I'm going to try and get one of the bungalows that looks out on the ocean. A fresh-water pool turns out to be a nice spot for meeting people or simply doing a little sun-bathing.The dive shop is an integral part of the operation and, as a first time diver myself, I was pleased to hear more than one very experienced diver comment on the quality and affordability of the dive offerings of Seagrape. Again, all those working at the shop are a credit to themselves and to Seagrape. All around, a special home away from home.

Room Tip: If you must have a television, choose one of the rooms in the dorm-style buildings. If you want a ha...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here one night as our other hotel elsewhere had no availability that night. We found the location to be perfect - a short walk to West End and all that it has to offer. The rooms were simple but clean. Plenty of room for suitcases and to hang items, shower was a good size and there was plenty of counter space in the bathroom. The air conditioner worked great and our little cottage had a nice porch. The pool area was nice and there was a nice breeze the whole time we were there. No breakfast was served but a quick walk into West End took care of that. Bathrooms have no hair dryers or shampoo - soap only - so make sure to bring these items if you want them. I would recommend this little place, especially as it is a very good price.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I recently decided to go to roatan to certify in scuba diving and did it all at he seagrape! They were so patient with me cause I was a little scared and we certified in two days. The place is all family run, clean rooms every day, air conditioning! Perfect for nighttime. Vey quiet and peaceful, walking distance to everything and very safe!! Would go back any day.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My daughter and I recently booked a week's stay at Seagrapes, as our usual West Bay resort was booked up. Seagrapes does not have such amenities as onsite eating and drinking facilties, live entertainment, or a West Bay sandy beach. However, Seagrapes turned out to be just perfect for our needs.

Seagrapes is reasonably priced, staffed by lovely locals, and, although an older property, clean and reasonably maintained. We stayed in room E9, in the older wing of the hotel vs. seaside cabins section. While Seagrapes does not have a sandy beach, eating or drinking facilties (like a kitchen or bar), or live entertainment, West End's beach, restaurants, bars and shops were any easy and safe 5 minute stroll away. That said, it was pretty easy to swim off of Seagrape's seafront of old coral via their dock and ladder (coral reefs were right there! lots of life!). We also made use of Seagrapes well maintained elevated in-ground pool, that afforded a great view of the sea. While we had to go to West End for bar life, we could keep beer, etc. in our mini-fridge. Entertainment-wise, Seagrapes has WiFi. Although we needed to sit outside at the covered common patio to access it, that wasn't a problem,as the patio was very comfortable and peaceful. Additionally, we had TV in our room (watched the Olympics!). And when we'd had enough of West End hustle and bustle (such as it is), Seagrapes gave us peace and tranquility.

We should mention that Seagrapes has its own dive shop. We didn't use it, but to judge from internet sources, it enjoys a solid reputation.

As for negatives, I guess we could list the inconsistent hot water. That wasn't a problem for us - the weather was pretty hot and comparatively humid. As well, our room didn't come equipped with a safe. Instead, valuables had to be left with the front office.

All in all, a great find for the traveller who is looking for good accommodations at a good price.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Finster56
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed at Seagrape for a week during the new year holiday. I booked based on great reviews on Tripadvisor, and see why Seagrape earned their high starred reviews. It is not an all inclusive luxury resort, which i am not a fan of, and mainly the reason why I chose Seagrape. The bungalow my friend and I stayed had all the basic amenities: comfortable bed, breezy hammock on front patio, a mini fridge, available filtered water, and hot shower. All this at a very reasonable price and run by incredibly professional and friendly family operators. We had an issue with hot water one day, but was immediately rectified once we notified the office.

They are located just 5 min walk from hubbub of West End, where there are plethora of bars, restaurants, gift shops and markets. Although close proximity to the center, Seaprage is far enough for a tranquil stay.

The dive shop was just as great. The shop offers 3 dives daily, 4th with a night dive, allowing a diver for many options on dive schedule. They were also very flexible with the schedule - no need to schedule ahead for a spot on the boat, just show up and relax. The shop provides full service, setting up your gear for each dive. Very knowledgeable dive crews and breath taking dive sites, which many were less than 5 min boat ride away.

I really would like to give 4.5 stars, but review won't lent me give 1/2 stars. The 1/2 star deduction is that the only complaint is i wished there were a clearer price explanation on some of the services they offered, i.e., I bought a 10-dive package, which discounts normally $35/dive to $30/dive. Since the night dives are listed as $45/dive, I didn't think night dives could be applied to the package and just pay extra for it. BUT good news is you can!

I had a great stay with Seagrape. In fact, I have already booked another stay there in April for more diving. It is no wonder several people I met during my first visit has said they are repeat customers.

Room Tip: Ask for the bungalow, if available and accommodate your party size. Watching the ocean view from you...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pharmfatale
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Very nice place to stay at 5 minutes walk from the beach. Worth the price, functional, nice staff and clean.
Would return..
Only thing that could be improved is the wifi range, that is not available in all rooms.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Seagrape Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!