“Great value , awesome hospitability”

Seagrape Plantation Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have stayed at this property over christmas break in 2013 for a diving trip. First of, from the moment you inquire for availability, the friendliness and hospitality of the staff is just amazing. This is a family-run business and everyone there is so very helpful. Mariela and Jessica in the office go out of their way to make sure that your stay is enjoyable while there is not good enough words to tell about the professionalism, help and enthusiasm the dive shop workers show. I have done a total 11 dives in my short trip there and it was great! Cleve and Tony at the dive shop are amazing guides/teachers. I have already had my certification,so I didn't take classes, so I can't vouch for them myself, however from speaking to people who were taking classes there, the quality of diving education there is pretty good too. The dive shop staff goes out of their way to make sure that your diving experience is great. You only need to show up to dive there, your equipment is always set up, prepared and waiting for you on the boat.
The resort is clean and well-maintained and the rooms were cleaned daily. The location of this resort is great, walking distance to West End, yet in a secluded away from the noise and hustle-bustle of West End.
Overall I really don't have anything negative to say about this place. The only thing that might be is that the Wi-Fi connection wasn't very reliable but the internet connection all over the island seems to be flaky.
One disclaimer/clarification is should give is that, this resort is not on the beach. It's a seaside resort, it's right on the water, but not on the beach. The closest beach is few minutes walk away though. However, if you want a resort right on the beach, this is not it.
I'll definitely recommend this to others. If you want a great diving experience, this place can't be beat.

Room Tip: Bungalows are great and they come with hammock to hang on the porch so you can relax in your hammock...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank G O

Reviewed February 6, 2014

2nd time back...stayed in a cabana...really enjoyed our time. Family owned and run. Very friendly and genuinely care for their guests. The dive shop has really upped its game since our last visit...new dive team...awesome service! Highly recommend to any fellow divers.

Room Tip: Try for a cabana if available...the hammocks are nice!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed at Seagrape Plantation for the first time in November 2013. Everything about the vacation was easy. From booking, to being picked up at the airport by Cleve, to completing our 21 (!) dives in 7 days the staff made me feel well taken care of. I had a sea front cabana, where I enjoyed many sunsets and naps between dives. It was so relaxing to watch the waves crash onto shore. The dive shop is first class, with a fantastic fast boat and highly skilled captains. The boat allowed us to venture to further dive sites than we would have been able to access in a slower boat. I've dived all over the Caribbean and have seen varying levels of competency between dive shops, and I could not have been more impressed with the staff here. They have great personalities too, and did not let me forget the time I asked where my wetsuit was, when I was in fact wearing it. In the past I'd stayed at a cheaper hotel in West End, and I think Seagrape is great value for money. My cabin had a fridge, AC, ceiling fan, (sometimes) warm shower in a large bathroom.
I loved Seagrape so much that I'm heading back in a few weeks!

Room Tip: I heard the non-seaside rooms had TVs. The view was much more important to me.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2014

You can find a bare-bones hostel for $35 per night on the way to this hotel that has cold water and no AC or TV but for $60 per night the Seagrape offers more for the money. The room was clean and well equipped for the price. Amenities offered: AC, Hot water, TV, fridge, Wifi, Free coffee in the morning and a swimming pool. The staff is friendly and they keep the property clean and in good repair. Although the Seagrape is about 1/4 mile away from the town on an unlit dirt road it is still close enough and seemed to be a safe walk at night. I think this hotel offers a good value for the money considering prices in the area are high due to the cruse ships and many luxury hotels in nearby West Bay. For more information and reviews visit imup2.com

Room Tip: West side has view of pool and water
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The staff was excellent - they really go out of their way to make sure your trip is a great one. The view from the bungalows unbeatable. I just got back yesterday and I'm already planning my next trip. I'll definitely stay at Seagrape again :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is my first review on Trip Advisor although my family and I travel often, it's just we had such an extra ordinary good time with the owners and staff at the Seagrape Plantation & its dive shop we just had to give it our "thumbs-up!"

With my son having become a certified diver several years ago, we had become bored with the "all inclusive" dive resorts of the Caribbean (I mean at many, heck at almost ALL, of the all inclusive the only way you know you were not in the states is when you pay the departure tax at the airport!) We decided it was time to introduce my son to a “real foreign country”, i.e. one with no McDonalds or Starbucks at every intersection! My wife I had traveled to and dove Roatan in the early nineties and fondly recalled the beautiful water, reefs jungles and the people, so our Christmas vacation this year was a no-brainer!.

The bad news? With the arrival of the cruise ships, Roatan has become much more “touristy” than the 1990’s! Our advice is to just stay away from the cruise ports, excursions and tourist traps and explore the island with the staff of the Seagrape Plantation.

But the great news? The water, the reefs and the people are even more welcoming than we recalled!

The family-owned nature of Seagrape Plantation makes a huge difference! The staff are all extremely friendly and good-natured, and the facility shows pride of ownership - it is very well maintained, clean, and comfortable. The dive shop is excellent and of course the reefs only minutes away are incredible.

If you can, make a night dive with a small group. Cleve the owners’ son-in-law was our dive master with a group of five divers including my son. The time we spent with the lights off allowing the incandescent sea life to come out and shine is a memory that I will forever cherish. When my son and I waved our hands, the lights of the little “no see ums” burned brighter and washed away from us like the scene in Fantasia when Mickey is the lead conductor of the orchestra, only one word to describe….breathtaking! Thank you Cleve!

OK, the basics: The property is conveniently located to town, less than a 10 minute walk to town, but secluded and quite, we we’re there for New Year’s Eve celebration and while the West End beach was still in party mode when we left, back at our bungalow we only heard the occasional fireworks.

We did not have one bad meal while eating at the local West End restaurants, but do recommend you try the itinerant food vendors who set-up in the evenings on the beach. Momma’s tacos our name for the no-named second BBQ grill set-up on the beach from the Seagrape, was incredible! Momma and her daughters make the absolute best tortillas while you sip a very cold beer fresh from the iced cooler next to the grill! I mean does life get more perfect, diving one of the World's most beautiful reefs, friendly people, good food and a cold beer to cap the day!

English is the primary language but you'll hear Spanish, "Island English" as well as many other World languages. US currency is welcome, but stick with $20 bills and lower as large bills tend to raise questions, AND, I kid you not, the local bank does not take torn or overly worn US bills, West Enders like their money clean and crisp!

Safety was never a concern, but I understand the mainland has had more than its share of problems. And unlike Mexico, cars on the island were kept in excellent repair, Cleve, on our island tour, said no car older than 5 years old could be imported to the island, so cabs and travel vans were clean, and easily available!

Mariela and Jessica worked the desk and were always friendly, and their coffee and Wi-Fi at the front desk were both excellent each morning we were there! But be warned, hanging around the front desk is Cleve's two year old son. Josh-e loves smart phones and tablets, and will use up all your memory cards with "selfies." But with a smile like his, no worries!

Without a doubt the best dive trip we’ve taken and a place and people we are eager to return!

Room Tip: The bungalow are great right off the seawall and near the pool!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2014

For the price, the Seagrape was excellent. Walkable distance into West End for shopping, restaurants; beautiful property that was well maintained. Coffee and loaner books in the office, plus helpful and accommodating staff. We stayed in two spotless rooms, each with window unit ac, two queen beds plus a refrigerator. Would have been great to have a little kitchen, or perhaps a café on site. My room had plenty of hot water, but not so for my daughter and niece. The property included roomy covered patios with tables where the wifi was great, but we couldn't get wifi in the rooms. No beach, but a very nice pool where we viewed gorgeous sunsets over the ocean. The Seagrape has an excellent dive shop that gave me a great refresher course and did everything but carry be into the water! No schlepping my tank and bc for me, and I was grateful! Looking forward to a return trip in the future.

Room Tip: The resort has both hotel rooms and bungalows.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#1 of 9 in West End

Been to Seagrape Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!