“Excellent place to stay”
Review of Cocolobo

Cocolobo
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in West End
Denver, CO
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Very positive experience all around. My husband and I traveled with another couple and we all stayed at the Cocolobo. Our host was wonderful, always available to us, laid-back, and full of information.
We met other lodgers that were young urbanites, families and solo travelers.
The location was a short walk to the beach, water taxi, and lots of restaurant/bars.
Sundowners bar was a frequent favorite and the pizza along the strip is exceeded our expectations for island pie.
I would gladly stay here again.

Dina

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Auburn, California
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Like many other people, I found Cocolobo through this website. I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant to stay there as a "solo" traveler. You just never know if a place is going to be going for a couples-retreat-romantic-getaway theme. I wanted a quiet and comfortable place, close enough to dive shops and bars in West End, but far away enough to feel like I could get a good nights sleep. I originally booked for four days, thinking that if it wasnt the right feel, I would move on. Soon after arrival, I realized that this was the place to be. Cocolobo just has a great look and feel. The rooms are spacious and the decks with hammocks overlooking the sea are very nice. The pool and bar/social area are great for just hanging out, especially around sunset for happy hour. Which brings me to the best part about Cocolobo...the people. Ron and Bonnie and the staff are just awesome! They are welcoming, warm and genuine. They truly take a lot of pride in Cocolobo and have a real appreciation for the people who stay with them. I only felt more and more comfortable here. After a week in West End, I decided to go rafting on the mainland outside of La Ceiba. I wanted to come back to Cocolobo afterward though and Ron easily arranged a room. Upon returning to Cocolobo, the first words I hear from Ron are "Welcome Home!" Thanks Ron and Bonnie...its good to be home.

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank oceantroy
chicago
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We were headed to Roatan for a week of diving and selected Cocolobo after reading all of the good reviews on TripAdvisor and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. First off the location is perfect, right on the caribbean with great views from the pool and bar, and secluded enough from West End town to be quiet and relaxing. For nightlife West End is a short 5 to 10 minute walk depending on exactly where you're headed, and for beaches Half moon bay beach is just steps away and West Bay beach is a 5 minute water taxi. The rooms are very nice and the beds were larger and more comfortable than I expected based on previous travels to central america. What really makes the place is the staff, Ron and Bonnie are awesome! The daily happy hours were a lot of fun (ask Ron to make you a caesar and thank me later), and the breakfasts each morning were some of the best meals we had on the island (kudos to heidi). All in all it was a terrific week, we can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We chose Cocolobo after laborious online research, and are only sorry that it has taken us so long to post a review of our outstanding experience on Roatan! This incredible lodging is right on the water, although if you're there to lay out, you'll use the pool. Their rooms are perfect; the breakfasts are delicious; the staff is friendly and trustworthy; the owners are an awesome, helpful couple; and the worst thing about Cocolobo was leaving the hotel and the island to come home. The location is desirable: beautiful, close to town, yet quiet. The area is safe; there is a night watchman and we didn't feel uncomfortable walking at night. Best of all: right next store is a superb dive shop called Atlantic Sea Divers. Joe, Brett, and the rest of the crew there will really hook you up and make you feel safe--not to mention the incredible diving! Please trust us on this: you won't regret your stay at Cocolobo--nor your trip to Roatan. Happy Travels! -Chrissy and Mike

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I extended my trip to Roatan because I enjoyed the Cocolobo and the Island so much. Ron and Bonnie were very helpful, the property is beautiful and very close to many attractions. I did not rent a car or a scooter, but it was easy to walk to many restaurants and beaches. I enjoyed the daily Happy Hour and look forward to returning to the Cocolobo!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
CT.
Reviewed June 10, 2010

We originally booked a room at Cocolobo to stay for one week and planned to travel elsewhere on the island for the second part of our stay on Roatan. By day 3, we knew we were not leaving Cocolobo to go anywhere else on the island--nothing could compare. We had a positively lovely experience--the rooms are spacious, comfortable, and clean, the views are postcard-worthy, the pool is a perfect happy hour location, and the breakfast is excellent (thanks Heidi!) What made our stay the most special was of course the people--we met other vacationers during our stay who we now consider friends, and of course Ron and Bonnie are by far the highlight of the hotel. They were the most gracious of hosts and so helpful, welcoming, and wonderful to talk to that we are already saving our pennies and vacation time to return again soon. (Perhaps we can coordinate with the honeymooners--what do you think A & E?) I would recommend Cocolobo to anyone visiting Roatan in a heartbeat, and send them with my warm wishes to Ron and Bonnie. Miss you guys!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 15, 2010

What can we say that hasn't already been said: this is an amazing place to stay. The location is perfect, the rooms are nice and clean, and the staff super friendly (Heidi makes a great breakfast). Best of all is Ron and Bonnie, who run the place. They took great care of us, made us dinner out of the blue, and always had a beer waiting for us in the evening. They even gave us hugs on our last day! Can't say that's happened before. The hotel has a common area where guests can hang out, and in the evening we looked forward to gathering around the pool for drinks and conversation while the sun went down. We made friends. It was really fantastic, and we can't wait to go back. Stay here, you'll love it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
West Bay Lodge and Spa
#1 of 14 in West Bay
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Cocolobo? Share your experiences!