“Absolutely Amazing”
Review of Cocolobo

Cocolobo
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Roatan for President's Day weekend. We spent the first part of our trip in West Bay and then finished up in the West End. In hindsight, I wish we would have spent our whole trip staying in West Bay at Cocolobo. Krys was absolutely amazing - she went above and beyond to help us out and answer any questions we might have. She greeted us so warmly upon our arrival that we felt right at home. Breakfast in the mornings was simple but always delicious. I loved the honor system they have for drinks "after hours". It was simply a great stay and much more preferable to the bigger resorts in West Bay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 643nicoled

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My first time traveling to Roatan. Cocolobo was a good choice. Krys, the young lady who runs the place arranged for a taxi to pick me up from the airport (and drop off). The rooms were clean and property was well maintained. Clean drinking water was right outside the room. The daily breakfast was just right before a day of diving. There was cereal, juice, and Ms. Heidi cooked a different hot plate each day. They have an honor system for the bar, which works well. Sundays, they had nice BBQ which was well prepared. Krys was very helpful giving advice throughout the week and made sure everything ran well. Cocolobo is located a short walk from all the dive shops, restaurants, and bars. Overall, a nice place to stay. I would stay there again.

raul

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank RXF13
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Before I got to the island I was a little worried that I might have made a mistake staying in West End instead of West Bay, but by the end of my trip I was so thankful I chose Cocolobo. It isn't on the beach, but you can hear the waves against the rocks every night as you sleep. The bathrooms are a little old, but overall the rooms are beautiful and the showers are fairly sizable. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. I met up with my wife and we both found the hotel very romantic, far enough from West End to be quite, but close enough to get wherever we needed to go.

As for rooms, I initially stayed in Port Royal, a double bed room on the northeastern side, which was beautiful. I wanted a king, but I'm so glad I got this location. The view was fantastic, and it was a little more secluded that the room I moved to later, Flowers. Flowers is also has a great view, but I think I prefer the NE rooms to the SW rooms. They aren't too different in the end and I'm sure whatever room you get will be amazing.

If you want a man-made, expensive resort, then look towards the crowded beaches of West Bay (we had friends stay at Infinity Bay, which looked nice, but busy and overpriced), but if you want a beautiful tropic paradise and a personal and friendly experience, I would highly recommend Cocolobo. I hope my wife and I can come back again some day.

Room Tip: The bar/pool area isn't too loud, but it starts to get a little busy in the morning with breakfa...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chase C
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The staff at Cocolobo are second to none. The Manager Krys would do anything in her power to ensure that her guests have the best stay possible. Pick up and drop off at the airport, excursions and activities or just letting everyone know what was happening in town on any particular day. The views are picturesque and second to none. I will miss falling asleep to the crashing waves and waking up to a beautiful view of the coastline and ocean. After all...isn't that one of the reasons we like to visit paradise.

The beds were super comfortable, the breakfast was always fresh and tasty and I have found that places like this always bring the best out in people. Will definitely be back again!

Thank you Cocolobo...you were exactly what I needed!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank reddive
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We spent two weeks in one of the 10 super clean spacious rooms at Cocolobo. All the hotel rooms have stunning ocean views. The hotel has everything you need. It's a super short walk to all of West End, but just far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle. The rooms are beautifully designed for cross ventilation to take advantage of the ocean breeze and sound of the surf (though there's AC available if you want it). Each room has a fridge, and big jugs of filtered water are always available. The manager Krys, and Heidi and the rest of the ladies who cook breakfast and clean the rooms will make you feel like you're staying with friends rather than another customer. We enjoyed out stay so much my husband is already picking out dates to make another trip. P.S. The diving in Roatan right now is some of the best in the Caribbean!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms! All have an ocean view and a big veranda. We sure loved the view from the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Holly K
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Just returned from a week at Cocolobo. The very lovely and accommodating manager Krys had us picked up from airport which was great. Krys is up interacting each morning to answer all questions and make recommendations. She is knowledgable of the diving and most other goings on on the island. She puts up a daily note of special meals, parties and events all around the island. She always seemed in good spirits and well suited for her job!
Breakfast each morning was included,and consisted of fruit,yogurt cereal and coffee each morning plus a hot plate of the day. Eggs one day, pancakes the next etc. all delicious. No other meals are served or offered. There is a central bar in the main public area and it is tended for a few hours during the afternoon. Other times you can serve yourself and just write it down on the honor system.
The room was large and comfortable. I was on the first floor and had a great ocean view and a hammock on my porch. The porch and hammock is for just your room,but it is open and connected to the adjacent room which is part of the same building. Not right on top of each other like in a big hotel but not fully "private" either . The infinity pool is small but sufficient and there are a few lounge chairs around. It's got a super ocean view as well. Wifi was available by the common area but didn't extend to the rooms.
The small tv in the room worked fine and had lots of channels. The shower was clean and there were plenty of towels. There is a fresh 5 gallon water jug outside each building and a pitcher in your fridge that you can fill up as needed.
Cocolobo is around a 5-8 minute walk from the center part of town. There are closer dive shops but I walked to west end divers with my equipment twice and it was further down the road but not too bad. I'm pretty lazy and it wasn't bad,but it is not right in the center of things either. I typically was out for the whole day and walked back in the evening. I found a couple of places on the nearer side of town that I kept to so I didn't have a long walk home.
I did look at some of the more central hotel options and some were less expensive but none as complete in terms of accommodation and service. I also heard they can be noisy at night which wouldn't have suited me.
I have a career full of hotel and hospitality industry experience and I say, "nice job Krys and Heidi and congrats to the owners. You've got a very solid place."
I'm glad I chose Cocolobo and I hope to stay there again soon! Thanks all.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Steve Z
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Located at the very end of West End, most of the hotel rooms has sea view, apart from a little one behind the pool/breakfast area. The owner also has built other villa on the same plot of land that is beside the Cocolobo and named it Cocolobo Lodge, but it is for sale, buyer/resident has to right to use the bar and the pool.

It is a boutique hotel, rooms are in wood built villa, 4 rooms in one villa, most has sea view, whether upstairs or downstairs.

There is no reception as such, we were picked up by a pre-arranged hire car, and once you arrive, a staff will meet you by the bar and go over what you need to know.

The bar has a honor system, guest mark on the book what they consumed. The pool is small but sufficient. The hotel itself only serves breakfast, and there is no choice, the kitchen staff cook up all the guests' breakfast in a small home size kitchen. Juice, coffee, fresh fruit is always on, the hot plate varies every day.

Staffs are friendly. The only criticism is that the floor of my place is not mopped every day. As you know, you come back from diving, swimming, you drag all the sand into the place. I had to ask the staff to do it. It would be nice that it is done without asking.

Mostly I love hanging in the hammock in the balcony overlooking the sea, watching sunset, sun rise.

I have no hesitation to recommend anyone staying here.

One caution, there are sand flies in the island, local would recommend you to put baby oil on your skin. I took the advice but it turns out to be the mistake, although it helps keep the sand flies off your skin, the baby oil also blocks your skin pores, and as a result, one cannot sweat properly, it causes heat rash...... No need to say I was really suffering and it was not until I return home to see my family doctor and took oral cortisone for another week, the whole thing lasted more than 2 weeks and it was itchy like hell, so watch out and balance what is the best option for yourself.

Second thing is that as far as boating tour is concern, I found out we were charged $30 more when we were booked via the hotel. It is not clear why, we never received a satisfactory explanation from the Bay Island Adventures, surely there were excuses. Participants on the same boat tours spent $30 less each person - US$150 each person and I paid $180. It was book around the same time and not earlier as the explanation Bay Island Adventures suggest, only difference, they book directly with Bay Island Adventures and we booked via the hotel. Whether there is any kickback involved is not proved but I will leave it up to your own conclusion. It is for this incident and the housekeeping service that I give the place a 3 stars rather than a 4 stars.

Room Tip: Book your tours directly with tour operators.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
#3 of 14 in West Bay
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Cocolobo? Share your experiences!