“Stay a day and you’ll want to stay forever”
Review of Cocolobo

Cocolobo
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in West End
Visalia, CA
“Stay a day and you’ll want to stay forever”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The place to stay is Cocolobo - a 10 room, bed and breakfast (which is hot, table service and changes daily). The managers, Ron and Bonnie, are gracious hosts and will help you as much or as little as you need with your trip. They can have a driver waiting at the airport if you want. They know all the restaurants and know where to go depending on what you want to do. They can recommend dive shops, excursions or will leave you alone to relax and enjoy this incredible island. The rooms are big and the view of the ocean over the coral is incredible. Join them for the sunset and happy hour to plan your next day. I’m not a fan of bed and breakfasts because I like my privacy, but with this property you get both. It doesn’t have a beach, but is it only a 5 minute walk to the West End area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

A great place if you're interested in diving. Very safe and clean. Ron is a gracious cigar-chomping host! I would stay here again no issues. The "infinity" pool isn't really infinity and isn't so big (no laps!) but it does the job. The place is pretty quite - which is good away from busy nightlife in the West End.

West Palm Beach
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just completed a week long dive trip in Roatan, and stayed at Cocolobo. I'm happy I did. Everything associated with the stay was smooth and easy, starting with the initial correspondence to make a reservation. I received a quick response and was booked. When I realized I had given the wrong dates, I sent another message: no worries, the reservation was adjusted. Deposit easily charged to my Visa. Reservation for a driver to pick me up at the airport was made.

Upon arrival at the airport, I was greeted by the driver and quickly whisked away to Cocolobo. Martin (the driver) was very friendly and helpful--offering suggestions of things to do while on the island, where to dive, where to eat, etc.

When I got to Cocolobo, I was greeted by Ron who offered a cold beverage and gave me the "lay of the land". My luggage was taken up to my room for me. The room was spacious, clean, and well-equipped: mini-fridge stocked with beer, sodas, and a full pitcher of water; shelves for clothing, closet with hangers, bathroom with plenty of towels/washcloths, soap; room with bed, two night stands with two lamps, overhead light with ceiling fan, two wicker chairs and small table, and desk with chair. Also a TV and air conditioner--both with remote controls. The far end of the room had two big sliding glass doors, leading out to the balcony with a hammock. Great view to the ocean. With the windows open, I could hear the waves at night. Ahhhhh.....I spent many hours relaxing in the hammock with a good book.

Each morning, breakfast is served in the main lodge area, near the beautiful infinity pool that looks out to the ocean. Basic lineup of cereal, granola, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea, and fruit salad each morning and then a special "hot plate" that changed each day (some type of egg dish usually: great banana pancakes on the last day of my stay!)

The main lodge has wi-fi signal so staying in touch at home via facetime was easy. Others used skype. I tried to stay away from my email, facebook, etc. while there, but I did send a few messages from my ipad.

Each night at sunset, Ron and Bonnie host a happy hour in the lodge area. I'm not a drinker, so I didn't partake, but I could tell that the folks who did attend enjoyed it.

I was really pleased with every aspect of my stay at Cocolobo and highly recommend it. It's a quick five minute walk to the main street in West End--you can easily walk from Cocolobo to the far end of West end in a leisurely 15 minute stroll (possibly less than that). Thanks to Ron and Bonnie for a terrific stay!

Room Tip: Paya room on second floor has a king size bed and windows face out toward ocean, letting in a great...
Oakland, California
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We originally had reservations at another hotel (we will not name this hotel) when we saw our original hotel we ran screaming and ran into Cocolobo. THANK GOD FOR MINOR RANDOM occurrances involving no sense of direction.

Ron was awesome and made us feel at home the entire time we were there. He asked us if we needed things and really made us feel like we were at a second home. Their honor bar system ROCKS although we did end up behind (we showed up with 2 beers and put them into the fridge w/o drinking them).

The rooms are simple, clean and elegant. The beds have valium and xanax in the sheets (seriously slept 12 hours one day). Our room had a kick butt view of the ocean and a hammock on our patio. Super clean rooms, sheets and other sundries.

BREAKFAST NOM NOM NOM *BURP* Nuff said. The food was all you can nom nom and the servers were awesome. In fact everyone at the hotel was super nice and always seemed to go out of their way to make sure you were happy. If they didn't speak english or understand what you were asking for they would go out of their way to find out what it was that you needed.

I can't imagine any place on Roatan being better than Cocolobo. No joke can't wait to go back. The owner is lucky to have such an awesome manger and staff.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are awesome there really isn't a bad room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Esther C
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I have to admit, at first I was weary of staying here. It looked to far from town. My wife convinced me to go. We had a wonderful time! I assure you, it is a quick easy walk to town! We even did it during tropical storm Ernesto. There is a short-cut that makes the walk less than five minutes. It can get muddy so take flip flops, but you shouldn't be wearing shoes while you are in Roatan anyways. We dove with scubaroatanhonduras.com while there. They are the first dive shop you pass and they were great. There is a restaurant about a minute walk away, but plenty more just a few minutes down the road. Breakfast every morning was very tasty and full filling. Ron and Bonnie run the place and are the nicest people. They will do anything to ensure you have a wonderful stay. Ron is a great bartender, and I hear a good guitar player. We met a lot of great people while staying there and you will to. You won't go wrong staying at Cocolobo.

Stayed August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Thank you Ron and Bonnie for a fantastic stay! The rooms at Cocolobo are beautiful, with a lovely open air feeling and a great view over the water. Happy hour is always a pleasure and a great way to meet other people staying there. Breakfast is delicious and the lovely ladies who make it were awesome and accommodated my gluten allergy. Sit by the pool area and watch the sunset, it is absolutely breathtaking. I can't say enough great things about this place, I would go back in a heartbeat! Thanks again for everything :)

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was my husband and I's first trip to Roatan and we were really excited to stay at Cocolobo based on the reviews that we read. We were not disappointed!

The hotel is gorgeous, but Ron and Bonnie make the hotel! They were helpful along the way by providing advice for dinners, excursions, and general history and information about the island. They and their staff are amazing! I wish that at home I could have the yummy breakfast with the beautiful view and would love to hear,"Today's hot plate is......Would you like one?" Of course!

Based on the location and the price of the hotel, Cocolobo attracts people, like us, who are on vacation to have a good time but who want a peaceful night's rest. It was wonderful to dive during the day, wander around, or relax by the pool, and then join the other guests and some locals for happy hour. It was a great time to hear other's experiences on the island and to compare stories. We made friends and loved hanging out some of the nights with the other guests and others that we met diving while enjoying the local entertainment....including Ron's band!

We have only been back for a couple of months and are already planning our trip back!

Room Tip: When booking talk to Ron about the rooms available so that you can get the view you want.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Sandy Bay

Been to Cocolobo? Share your experiences!