“Satisfied with the Posada”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Posada Arco Iris

Posada Arco Iris
Ranked #4 of 13 West End B&B and Inns
Beirut, Lebanon
“Satisfied with the Posada”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

I was on Roatan on business, and needed an inexpensive, conveniently-located place to stay. I got a room in a rear cabin, so didn't hear any noise at night. My room was spacious, clean, and with cute ethnic decor. The first room they showed me smelled like mildew, and the place is consistently full, so you don't necessarily have the chance to see lots of rooms. The decor was cute, and staff was pleasant. I ate at the restaurant, and it was nothing special, but satisfactory. There are so many places to eat in West End, there's no need to eat here if it doesn't interest you (t's an Argentinean restaurant, so focused on meat. My steak was decent.)

• Liked — central location in West End, while facing the pretty Half-Moon Bay
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank American_Overseas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Seattle, US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

We spent a week at Posada Arcos Iris in December, which has a great location and super nice staff. The free internet access was a nice perk. We had the front room over the restaurant and had a large, comfortable private deck with a nice beach view and hammock, but there was some heat and noise from the kitchen. Sometimes there was also loud music from both the restaurant downstairs and the food wagon across the street, sometimes late at night, so that was a problem. The staff did keep a close eye on who was coming and going, so I did feel very safe there. I thought the bathroom was a little worn and the room in general could use a bit of sprucing up, but overall, we were satisfied.

I wasn’t so crazy about the restaurant. It seemed very expensive for West End. We ate there twice and both of my meals were bad. Really bad. The first time my shrimp kabobs were both overcooked and served cold and the entrée salad I had the second time was absolutely drowning in dressing and so mouth-puckering salty I couldn’t eat it. Actually, I couldn’t eat more than one bite. I sent it back and they were really nice about it and brought me a salad without any dressing, but still. It isn’t that hard to prepare an edible salad.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — worn room, linens, and bathroom & restaurant
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karchita
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2008

The hotel is in the perfect location. It is right at the end of main area of West End, It is an easy walk to any ;bar,restaurant , or diveshop. The rooms are nice,and have everything that most people need.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Carrying luggage up stairs.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rmtscubaguy
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

My family (me, husband and 18mth old daughter) travelled to Roatan in early July 2008 and stayed at Posada Arco Iris. It has an excellent location, clean, tidy facilities and steps away from Half Moon Bay. We stayed in a studio room, well priced, on the bottom floor, it was maintained well and quiet. The office staff was not that interested in us or overly friendly. Computers are handy and easy access as well. We didn't eat at the Argentine Grill, but found lots of other great restaurants to eat at short walk away. Would definitely stay here again and wished we could go back soon! Roatan is paradise!

• Liked — Great location, affordable
  • Disliked — Front office staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

We stayed a week at the Posada Arco Iris in May 2008. The temperatures averaged in the high 90's and the room never fully cooled with the air conditioner. You can rent rooms without an air conditioner, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially knowing that our air conditioner ran 24 hrs a day, and the room was never "cool". The staff however, is great, the rooms are very clean, and the restaurant on the premises was fantastic. There is a grocery store next door, and we had a small fridge to keep bottled water and drinks. We chose this location due to the fact that it was within walking distance of the Native Sons diving company.

• Liked — Convenient
  • Disliked — Air conditioning was very poor
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
honduras
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

I will start this by saying that West End is probably not the place to stay if you want white sand and crystal clear water, cause the few sections of the beach around are taken bye the algas (sea plants), you still have place to swim though.

Having said that, There is some advantages on staying there specially at the Posada Arco iris Hotel. I will number them:

1. The price for staying there is right for what you need and receive. $45-55 , $60.00 if you are two couples and want kitchen fully equipped (Fridge, stove, plates, and everything you need for cooking and saving left overs)
2. The rooms are very clean. Hot water (I like it cold better), still they could do a better job on maintenance, they have few problems with the windows mosquitos screens which are definitely a MUST over there along with the bug repellent
3. They have a computer with internet you can use for free.
4. the place is really comfortable and even though Honduras is a Hot an humid place, because the hotel is full with plants and trees is very fresh and you have a Hummock on the front porche.
5. They have Kayaks you can use for free, no limitation of time (Renting a kayak can be like $30.00 an hour, so I consider this a very good advantage for the price you pay.
6.Beach is across the street, they have beach chairs, and a few feet into the see there is a BEAUTIFUL Coral reef awesome place for snorkeling, I discovered it by accident when using the kayak, it seemed wonderful from the kayak, imagine inside the water.
7.They have an Argentinean restaurant in front. my last meal at the island i did it there, and i have to say that IT was good, in portions, flavor and price, the only thing i regret is that since they are always very crowed the service could take a little longer that you would like, but it worth the wait. I had a combination of shrimp calamari and octopus, green salad and garlic bread, the portion was enough even for sharing with your date ;-).
8.Location: West End is the night life, so if you want to have fun at night, Posada Arcoiris is right placed and you are a walk away from all the fun. If you want white sands and beaches then West Bay is just 3 miles away by road and a little closer waking on the beach.

In the island transportation is expensive, Taxis want to charge you $10.00, even if you want to go next door. so I think one option is renting a scooter, cheap, cheap, even if you are 4 and need two scooters is still cheaper than renting a car or traveling by taxi.

Regret

We had a problem with water licking on our cabin, but they relocated us into another one, smaller but still comfortable and pleasant, and they gave the discount accordingly.

If you book for 4 people and show up with 3 do not expect them to charge you just for 3, they still will charge you 4, kind a rude and unfair but that is the way they work.

The resident monkey fell in love with my girlfriend and he didn't like me when kissing my Girl or even hugging her. :-P

Lot of bugs, but this is not exclusive of the Posada, they are all over.

At the bottom

Would I stay there again? Definitely YES, more advantages than disadvantages. I am planning other trip next month. Just will bring my snorkeling equip and I know I have kayaks, reef and beach for free.

Would I recommend it? YES

Places to eat close?
Breakfast :
You definitely have to go to The Bakery restaurant, best breakfast on the island for about $6.00
Lunch:
The coconut tree is cheap and GOOD, the owner if very friendly, and good service, you can drink all the lemonade you can only for buying one, and is the best lemonade on the island or I must say, in the whole country.
Dinner:
Stay at the posada arcoiris and enjoy their food, on the beach or at the restaurant.
also you might try Fosters, best BLT ever

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2008

Our family had to be practically dragged away from Roatan! After much research we booked at Posada Arco Iris and after looking at almost every property in the west end, were so grateful that we did. The location is perfect, across from the ocean with beach chairs and loungers set up. Everything is close by including a grocer next door. We had a "duplex" cottage which consisted on a kitchen, small bath, a double bed in the main area and a separate bedroom. Everything is definitely rustic - this is NOT a "resort" type of place. But, it was kept well cleaned, the kitchen had the basics to prepare meals which we did and then ate on our front porch or took meals across the street to the beach.
You can take a water taxi to west bay which has a nicer beach but a completely different vibe. I preferred to stay in the west end where it is very low key and unpretentious.
Would go back in a heart beat!

• Liked — location, kitchen facilities, resident monkey!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Hotel Chillies
Hotel Chillies
#2 of 13 in West End

Been to Posada Arco Iris? Share your experiences!