Overall we had a good time at the Lily Pond house. The owners - Zak and Luis - were very nice and personable. The location was great - it was right off the main road in West End so it offered you something off the beaten path. They also have three dogs that roam around the courtyard and are all really cute and sweet and they help you feel a bit safer at night. Breakfast every morning was reliable, you could let them know when you wanted to have breakfast and Luis made great omelets and fruit salad.
The layout of the Lily Pond House means that there are three rooms, all pretty much equal in size in the first, second, and third floor. We stayed for a week in the garden room, which is the ground floor room. While we liked Zak and Luis personally, we felt that we needed to let other fellow travelers know about some issues we had.
1. The Garden room is really really musty. I suspect that most people stay on the 2nd and 3rd floor and we only ended up in the garden room because it was at capacity. Talking with our fellow guests and peeking in their rooms, it appears that the garden room isn't as great as the other two. After we got home, it became apparent to us how bad the problem is - everything we brought reeked and needed washing, some twice.
2. It's a lively house where music is played from 9AM to around 10PM in the evenings. The ground floor/entrance area/bar is essentially Zak and Luis' entertaining area. They sit there and listen to music and sometimes watch tv on a large outdoor screen and being so nice, always had a lot of people that liked to come and visit. While this was great on most days, it became a nuisance when we wanted to sleep in or have a quiet relaxing night. We think that the situation would have been much better if we were on a different floor as the door to the garden room opens out to the bar/entertaining area of the Lily Pond House.
3. The linens and towels were not that great. Our bedding had a fairly large burn in it from a cigarette or candle, and the towels were a ratty mix of beach and shower towels. The shower itself was also not in the best shape. All in all not that large a deal, but given the price premium we paid compared to other places in Roatan, we were pretty surprised.
4. Again, for the price, we thought that it would have been appropriate to get regular room cleanings and access to bottled water as we've seen at other places where you cannot drink the local water. A nice 5 gallon water cooler would have went a long way, but instead we found ourselves having to lug in water from the convenience store down the road. Regarding the cleanings, we were told they only enter the room if you ask, which to be honest felt awkward. We felt strange asking them to do something we consider standard so we didn't. The only thing we did ask for was a new set of sheets half way through our stay -- they did replace the sheets but they were the same poor quality as the previous set, and the blanket with the large burn mark remained.
To be fair, it was very difficult to communicate these things because when you stay at a B&B, it *does* feel like staying at a friends house. You sometimes have to go with the flow of how they do things, but between the music and the mustiness, we found ourselves wanting to spend very little time there, which we were hoping from the reviews would be a good place to hang our hat while we enjoyed Roatan.
So in short, don't stay in the garden room and stay here if you like to meet a lot of people and like lively music.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lily Pond Guest House offers the most luxurious accommodation in Half Moon Bay. Located only seconds from the beach and a stroll from the shops, bars and restaurants of the West End. Relax on your own private balcony or take a cocktail or two and marvel at the breathtaking views of the jungle and the Caribbean Sea.The Lily Pond Guest House also has its own bar and restaurant and is quite happy to deliver to your room or the roof top garden while you take in the views and tropical sun. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Lily Pond House Hotel Roatan, Honduras - West End