“Comfortable in many ways.”

Posada Las Orquideas
Ranked #5 of 12 West End B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I agree with the other reviews - the 3rd floor corner is the best. It has the most windows and at times the wind can be intensely refreshing! Also in agreement with the other reviews; the place is clean and a real value when compared to the other places in West End. The space itself feels inviting, very comfortable.
I have a few stupid complaints that are really mountains formed from mole hills. There's no salt and pepper. Try cooking just one meal without it and you'll know why the complaint. I know what you're thinking and no- you cannot purchase S&P for under $5 in West End. I left a set of shakers and I hope they leave them in the apartment.
There is no way to dispense water from the giant 5 gallon water cooler bottle you can purchase from the front desk. It's just a really heavy pain in the butt until it's empty enough to just be a pain in the butt. A simple spout would have sufficed.
Also, the full sized bed in the top floor corner apartment has seen better days. I could feel every spring. It was so obnoxious, I opted to sleep not with my husband, but in the twin sized bed next to it because it was a little better.
I know it sounds nitpicky, but these ever so small details are the difference between 4 and 5 stars. Still good, but also really easy to make better.

Room Tip: Bring salt and pepper and a radio. It's quite and bland otherwise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heatherjwalter
There are newer reviews for Posada Las Orquideas

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed here as part of a larger tour of Central America, and this was one of the best places we stayed (which perhaps doesn't say much, as we were very much a budget group). Nice big rooms, super comfy beds, hammocks and private deck- very very good for budget accommodation. Plus, the best part for us travelers used to hanging out in the lobbies of scary hotels - WIFI in the rooms.

Word to the wise though-DO NOT go swimming, especially skinny dipping in the bay at the back of the hotel. The majority of my group were covered in jelly fish stings for the rest of the trip after a midnight dip.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank kenicholas
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Posada Las Orquideas is a beautiful wooden building with pristine new bathrooms and beautiful rooms with balconies overlooking Mangrove Bight. It is perfectly clean. Our room had a small fridge and stove, as well as a few dishes and cutlery. They don't spoil you with anything else - you get only 2 bath towels and 1 hand towel per day, no foot towel. Some soap, but no shampoo or anything else - bring your own. There is no food of any kind sold or served. I was OK with all these things, as we did bring our own toiletries and bought fruit and snacks to keep in the fridge. WiFi works only in the courtyard (we were on the 3rd floor), but it does work well there, I was able to video-skype. Again - when you're on vacation, it's actually nice to get a break from the internet.

The sunrise views from the room were spectacular, and our room was big enough to do yoga. I loved that our hotel was located in this peaceful part of the village. But it is accessed by a dirt road, and after rainfall it is MUDDY and takes several days to dry. You need some water shoes or rain boots to get around it. I really hope soon the hotels there will pool resources and improve the road with a little gravel. Another important benefit of staying in this hotel is that you can use beach chairs at Posada Arco Iris on Half Moon Bay AND chairs and umbrellas at the Argentinian Grill in West Bay. We definitely took advantage of that.

I was surprised by several comments in the reviews about feeling unsafe on the walk back at night. I never felt that way. The walk is very beautiful and peaceful, past private homes or guest houses, the latter of which have night time security guards. One of them would shine a flashlight for us when we walked back in the dark.

Also several people mentioned that the "receptionist" in the little office isn't friendly. That is true, but only in the sense that she doesn't really smile, seems shy and not very eager to talk to guests. I'm not a fan of smalltalk myself, so I was perfectly OK with that. Whenever we needed anything she helped us. Never was anyone rude or unpleasant.

I would love to come back to this hotel again. I didn't see anything else in West End that looked much better.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roxette521
Reviewed March 6, 2014

A short walk away from the centre of West End makes it ideal for a bit of calm and perfect R&R.
I think our room was fairly standard with a deck and hammock to enjoy the peace. Also there was a functioning kitchen which may not be available to all rooms.AC was available at an additional cost. Room was a good size
Hotel does have a relationship with a hotel on Half Moon Bay where you can use their kayaks and beach chairs for free.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Hot water, clean room, friendly staff, good AC (newer and relatively quiet), away from the noise of West End but a short enough walk that night life and shops are convenient. Sister hotel with free kayaks and beach chairs. Great!!!

Third floor is best. Corner room has a kitchenette which would have been fantastic for a longer stay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Given that I was sick while here, I appreciated the spacious rooms with comfortable beds and bathroom to hand! It was a very pleasant location right on the water and everything was in good order. The staff were helpful and smiled if you smiled at them. It was an easy walk to everything else and if you didn't feel like walking you could relax on the water just a few steps from your room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hotel has a nice location but isolated, nice hot showers, big rooms lots of space, mini bar. We enjoyed our stay. The miggies are terrible biting take insect repellent. And a torch for walking back at night

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends