“Beautiful setting, very relaxing”

Posada Las Orquideas
Ranked #5 of 12 West End B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful setting, very relaxing”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Great location on the ocean, away from the noise and bustle of West End.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank S L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Posada Las Qrquideas is approx a 10-15 minute walk from the center of West End. The town recently replaced the sewer lines leading to this area of the island (good thing). However, this has resulted in the dirt road being torn up and rain water drainage isn't great. Should it rain the road becomes very muddy and could suck your flip flop right off your foot like it did me.

My room was just as I had expected from the hotel website. Very clean room, cleaned daily, nice bathroom (new, clean, well maintained). Kitchenette was a great add. They provide pots/pans, glasses, cups, utensils, small fridge, coffee maker... Bring matches to light the gas stove burners. The mattress was clean but somewhat lumpy and worn. The best room is #14. It's on the 3rd floor but the attached photos show the view from the porch. All the other rooms have inferior views and must look over other porches to see the ocean. BOOK EARLY, I was told numerous times that other guests were trying to get this room. The room also has 5 windows not 3 like most others.

I had read earlier reviews about problems with hotel personnel; I thought they were great. They were very friendly, helpful with directions, and followed up on any request I had. I had a family emergency back in the USA while staying at the hotel. The staff left a very detailed message on my door from my sister letting me know what was going on.

So, if you're looking for a quiet, clean, low tech hotel room to escape the world this is a great place. If you want a full service resort, keep looking. No TV / Radio so bring or make your own entertainment. Muddy road was challenging but a funny memory now.

Room Tip: #14 is the best room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DoubleD777
Prague
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during our trip. We tried to book online but never got any reply. Rooms are spacious and clean with big terraces overlooking the sea. We took room without kitchen and we regretted we later realized we would like to make coffee and European style breakfast that is very expensive in West End. We were the only guest in the hotel despite this the staff was terribly lazy and any request took so long time to execute. We were provided with sunbathing chairs on the deck in front of the hotel with access to water. Otherwise you can use chairs of sister hotel Posada Arco Iris in Half Moon Bay. Free internet and decent library was there as well. The hotel doesnt have any restaurant and its a 10 minute walk to nearest restaurant, the way is badly lit and torchlight is recommended. Because of the construction site nearby the road is muddy, there was no noise from the site.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Karelcermak
London
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We have stayed in the hotel in July 2010 for a week. I have to say, this is an amazing place if you want to chill out and run away from the crowds. The rooms are huge, so are terraces. Each room gets a private terrace where you can dine and just rock in the hammock. The room had a little kitchenette so we bought fresh seafood and other stuff from the vendours in town and cooked and enjoyed our meal in the terrace. Amazing! The hotel is situated 5mins walk from the town centre which was absolutely great as it was so quiet.

We have been in South and Central Americal for 7 months and I honestly can say that this was the best hotel we stayed in. If I could, I would pack my luggage today and head to this place again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
La Lima, Honduras
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed at Las Orquidias in West End in March for 5 days and we loved it. The hotel is quite new, with very nice rooms and we also had a fantastic little terrace with a beatiful view over the bay. The hotel is located a little bit outside of West End but it's only a 5 minutes lovely walk to the beach and all the action and restaurants. Personel at the hotel is very nice and helpful - we received great help with their internet service, laundry and tips about what to do in Roatan. I would also like to recommend their sister hotel Arco Iris and their restaurant 'Argentinian Grill', which according to what we learned ourselves, very well might be the best restaurant on the whole island. I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone, young, old, single or married - it's a great place. And don't worry about any practical issues. You will receive complete assistance from the staff at the hotel and at the administrative office down at Arco Iris.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PTJHondop
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Our room was on the 2nd floor at the very end on the left (#7). The room was great! It was spacious, clean, bright, with lots of windows and great views. If possible try to get this room or the one above it b/c the extra windows make a huge difference. All the windows have screens and there was a great breeze at night so we didn't have to use the A/C.
I recommend reserving a room on the left side of the hotel since the property to the right is undergoing construction. (I couldn't hear any noise at all from my room.)

The bathroom was clean, with nice tiling, and there was always plenty of hot water. The kitchen had a mini-fridge (very convenient). The balcony had a great view and comfy hammock, but was covered (so no tanning), and offered little privacy.
Housekeeping came daily and did a great job.
The hotel was very peaceful and quiet during both the day and night. (It is removed from both the main road and town).

The hotel has a small book exchange as well as free internet. They also sell beer, water, and pop at reasonable prices. There is no beach, but there is a private dock to lay out on. The dock only had 3 beach chairs which were always occupied. The hotel doesn't provide beach towels, so make sure you bring your own.

Location: 5 min walk to town. Although I always had friends walk me back to the hotel I would probably get a little nervous walking back alone at night.

The only negative thing I have to say about the hotel is in regard to the staff. I felt that they were unhelpful, unfriendly, unapproachable, and disinterested. Most of them wouldn't even smile at us. Whenever we approached them with a request or question they made us feel like we were bothering them and we came to dread having any interaction with them.

Overall: I would definitely stay here again. The fantastic room and location more than make up for the unpleasant staff.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank coratraveler
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Well we loved this place! It was bright and airy..We managed to opt out of the ac and were quite comfortable with an end room in the hotest time of the year.
We enjoyed using our kitchen, porch, the sunrises amazing. My husband missed them all because he was sleepin so good!. (can you tell who is the morning person). I caught the sunrises on film but dont sleep in the mornings they should not to be missed.
We discovered that a morning swim off the dock out back, across the bay was an awesome way to start the day and so convienent!
We had friends over for dinner several times .Plenty of room for a tablle and 4 chairs and fellowship. Just have to ask the staff for a few more plates etc from another room to acomadate more people for dinner.
The gals in the downstairs wash room washed our clothes(with a smile) for 7 bucks and folded them, placed them on our bed in the room.. awesome.. they were there at the end of day all fresh and clean. what a treat!
We longed for a mattress cover on the bed,( the fitted quilted sheet that covers the bed before the fitted sheet goes on the bed). Aparently not something they do on the island. (just a personal prefrence, and no bath mat to step onto to dry off. A extra towel would be nice to step off on)..But the towels we had, were of high quality nice white and fluffy.( just a cultural difference). However Little things do make a difference. Fresh towels every day.. nice.... Lovely tile work in the bathrooms. Love the color scheme in the room very cheery..
We found our incounters with the locals folks and staff were excellent. Really geniune and very kind people, very pleasant.....
One recommendation. I think the porches should have a privacy lattace between each porch. It was not crowded when we were there but I cannot imagine if all the porches were full of folks I didnt know. But on the other hand, what a fun party if I was there with family I did know!.. hammocks were excellent for an early morning read or a afternoon nap.
I wish the rooms had small safes in them..for the passport, money etc....wouldnt have to carry this around all day.
We ate a lite breakfast in our room several times or lunch and enjoyed our short walk to town for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Excellent food. fried snapper at the argentine grill.. excellent. Baked chicken, Thai place.. yum .. all good.. Rudys papaya smoothies midday excellent... There were places to buy groceries in town as well, for your small refrig in the room.. plenty of pots and pans.. (wish there was a small btl of olive oil to cook the eggs with out sticking). Thankyou staff for washing the dishes, didnt expect that!
We had a wonderful time, beautiful view (even from the bed).
I wish we could have stayed longer.. but we will be back probably to live on the island. Love Roatan, love the local islanders. We have a lot to learn from their kind presence and culture and slower pace of life.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business