“Everything is only ten feet away.”

Sueno Del Mar Resort
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed August 11, 2010

At Sueño del Mar everything is only ten feet away. Your room is ten feet over or up, the dive shop is ten feet from the pier and the boat is only ten feet down the pier. Along every one of those ten feet there is a competent staff member on hand to attend to your needs. There is even a friendly bar next door -- only ten feet away. All the West end dive sites are only ten minutes or less away.
As Stuart, the divemaster says, "You only have to make three decisions on any given day: Do I dive or not, do I turn left or right to eat, and do I drink green beer or brown."

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Sueno Del Mar Resort

Reviewed July 25, 2010

please dont go so there will be room for me:)

hard facts:
sueno del mar
www.suenodelmar.com (excellent website)
tel 502445 4343
location; end of west end road going towards west bay.
contact: Ray Lopez, owner
rooms ac, amazing view, amazing view (did I say that), hot water, fridge
starting round 60 USD

I just got back and i wanna go back. rooms are fabulous and the views as i mentioned earlier are great. ac rocks (a must in roatan) and the balcony is the best for chillin and relaxing. serviced daily, the rooms are clean and well arranged. steps from the water, you can go for a dip by rolling out of bed. it is one of the only places on the west end that is on the beach and has its own dive dock. its also far enough away to shield you from the noise at the bars, yet 2 min walk to them. you can also stay at the westend hotel (sister place of sueno)

the show is run by uncle ray and his staff of very nice people. ray gets back to you immediately via email and if you prepay via paypal you wont get charged the 4% for credit card use later. I recommend the dive packages its a steal. all you can dive! and the free transfers to and from the airport are a charm coming off a flight. If you end up going with a non diver, ray will work out a customized plan for you to take advantage of the dive package. the website is also very good.

at time of writing, uncle stu is in charge of the dive shop. he's got his own scuba talkshow on roatan radio and is a ham. if you get tired of his bad jokes (don't blame him hes use to be a fireman) tell him to "put a regulator in his ear"(he'll know what you mean):) he is fab and funny as hell. i wont go into how awesome roatan is for diving cause so many people talk about it. the shop is so convienient being right under the hotel. SI in an airconditioned room, yes siree. they also have a nice retail shop to keep adding to your bill if you wish. small groups to dive with not like some of the "party dude", dive operations. Its a more mellow crowd so the dives are very nice. we like pablos place, el aguila wreck, and texas alot

to be fair:
-it is more expensive than the backpackers, but you get the sevice.
- all the staff are great but sometimes you dont know whose in charge and though they go out of their way to make your stay very pleasant, you wish that it could use a bit more organization so all the dive staff, accomodation staff, and management are on the same page.
- the sandflies on the beach are vicious, they are actually no seeums. they are everywhere on the beaches so bring your deep woods off and use it immediatley before you go out and about, we used a whole bottle on our trip.
-in general food in roatan is a bit expensivei, we found the Rotisseri chicken to be great as well as the baliadas place (chupi or something like that) in front of the weems gallery to be cheap as chips.

overall:
you can't get any better than sueno, its value, location and staff are all fantastic. besides, Duke, the jack russell, is cute as hell! I'm a lifer.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2010

This was our second time we stayed at SDM and it was great!!!!!! the staff at Sueno del Mar is very nice and friendly... the hotel is located within walking distance from all the restaurants,bars and all the night life but its on the end of west end so u still get some peace and quiet...owner Ray is very nice treats all his guest like family,we had alot of fun hanging out with him and Tita at the bar(drinking good beer)...rooms have been very clean both times we stayed and really liked the price $..i would recommend Sueno del Mar to any of my friends and family...my wife and i are not Divers yet ,but we did enjoy there free snorkeling strip on there boat...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I stayed May 21-28, 2010 and did 14 dives while there. SDM
is the only hotel/dive shop I used on Roatan and I thought
it was great. Their location is perfect. Hotel rooms are only
a few steps from the beach/dock. Being right next to the
dock was awesome because you could go to your hotel room
between dives and not be stuck on a boat all day. During the
12:30-2:30 lunch SI you can even walk into "town" (West End)
and eat in one of the many restaurants there if you want.
If you don't like being stuck on a boat you'll love SDM.
SDM also has it's own restaurant right on the beach so you
don't have to go far if you don't want to or you're in a
hurry. SDM has no "cattle" boats so you go out in small
groups. The property was under construction in parts but kept
clean and very functional and comfortable. The staff was very
helpful and friendly. They even helped me by a SOSA airlines
(local commuter) ticket when my limited Spanish was barrier.

I did 16 dives at Cozumel last year (and loved it) and I
think Roatan blows it away. More marine life at Roatan,
shallower multi-level dive sites, much cheaper, easier access
to dive sites by boat, and not at all crowded.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 20, 2010

We booked our stay and diving package with Sueno del Mar but stayed at a budget hotel called West End Hotel. It's my understanding that it is owned by Sueno del Mar. The accomodation although basic was very clean and comfortable and extremely inexpensive. Both Sueno del Mar and West End Hotel are located in the heart of West End and are very close to a number of great bars and restaurants. I really would like to extend my warmest Thanx to all the staff from the dive shop: Ray, Stuart, Amanda and Mary. The diving was outstanding and we hope to return soon.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2009

My son told me about this place he is a divemaster in the area. My room was excellent, it was far enough from all the local restaurnats and hang outs for it to be nice and peaceful at night but close enough where I could walk everywhere. Although not a diver, Ray Lopez and company treated me like royalty and what a great price. Awesome sunsets and excellent snorkling.
I went alone, next time I will bring someone to share this great place and hospitality. Iggy Perez

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 31, 2009

I only stayed two nights as I just wanted to take my daughters over to the island to try a little snorkling with them before school starts. Their ages are 10 & 12 and this was their first snorlking experiance. You can snorkle right off the beach, about 50 yards out and it's better than places I have been to in the FL. Key's or the Bahamas. We went out with the dive boat who dropped off divers on the far side of the reef. We came back inside the reef and the boat driver did an excellent job of explaining to my daughters use of gear and safety precautions. The driver pretty much stayed nearby, pointing out interesting underwater sights to my daughters and I. He was quick to offered assistance when one swallowed a little water. He was very quick to spot her distress and she was back beneath the waves in no time.

Rooms were more than adequate and very clean, much better than I expected for a diver's motel, not anything like a 5-star suite but our intentions were about the beach, not the room. If you get tired of snorkling you can catch a water taxi from their dock and it's a short ride to West Bay Beach, one the finest beaches I have ever been to.

No official Restuarant at the Hotel but it is a short walk to many restuarants and bars located along the beach. Much better than staying in a resort as you have such a wide variety of choices. The Motel does have a beach bar and the drinks are quite reasonably priced, $1.75/ beer and Happy Hour was 4:30-6:30 where beers were only $1.25. They offer some food at the bar but we did not eat there. But you know it's a good place to relax when local cliental from other dive sites stop in for a drink at the end of the day. My favorite places are always where the local workers go at the end of the day.

The entire staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. It's really a laid back place to stay. They picked us up at the ferry for a nominal charge (free for longer stays) and the office was closed when we arrived. The driver just gave us room key, did not even say anything about checking in. Old fashioned way of doing business, customer comes first and they worry about the money later. Elsie was great when we made last minute arrangements to stay their on the phone. We spoke with Ray a lot once we got there, Stewart the dive master was a lot of fun. Hard to tell who the owners were, without a doubt their focus was to make sure we enjoyed our stay, even if we were not divers.

Ron S.

#7 of 14 in West Bay
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#3 of 9 in West End

Been to Sueno Del Mar Resort? Share your experiences!