This was our first trip to Roatan and had a great time. We picked Sueno Del Mar based on TA reviews and it did not disappoint.
Lots of pros:
- Great location in the quiet part of West End
- Restuarants and bars only few minutes walk
- Made to order breakfasts by Ray, the owner
- The resort is right on the beach, the dive shop is at the hotel, and the dock is just feet from the resort
- Clean rooms with A/C, in room safe, small refrigerator, full ocean view
- No TV or phone in the rooms
- Fantastic diving (more below). Dive sites very close to the resort.
- Package included pick up and drop off from the airport. Manuel was waiting for us when we arrived.
- Tremendous value for the price!
- Tita's Pink Seahorse next door. Perfect for lunch and your surface interval. Great chicken sandwich and blue cheese burgers
- Spotty internet connection, best connection from the balcony
- Bugs in Roatan (just like Belize). Not a Sueno issue, but bring insect repellant
- A/C just ok
We did 17 dives during the week (could have done a night dive as well, but we passed). All our dives were with Stuart or Roger. Both were very experienced and knew all the sites well. Stuart is a former Fire Captain and well versed in safety issues, first aid, etc. We only had 4 divers on most dives, but we had a few locals join us on a few of the dives. Our dives averaged about 60-65 minutes, with a few being 75 minutes. Obviously everyone was very good with air consumption. Depth ranged from around 100 (on the wreck) to 20 (above the reef) with most being 40-70 feet. Vis ranged from 50-80 on most days. Water temp was in the high 80's. All dives were drift dives. Most days we had very light to no current, but one day we went to a site called Texas, and the current was ripping. We flew over the reef, and dropped down the wall to get away from the current. There was a different current down the wall, and the current eventually pushed us off. We did our safety stop in the current and ended up several hundred yards from the boat. It took a few minutes for the boat to spot us, but we never felt at risk. That was our shortest dive at 45 minutes.
The reef was very healthy and we saw a lot of turtles, morays, groupers, lobster, crabs, and lion fish on most dives. We saw a couple of spotted eagle rays on one dive as well as a few cuttlefish. The week before a hammerhead was spotted, but we did not see any sharks. We asked Stuart to take us to see lion fish and we went to a sight about 15 minutes from the resort. He speared 3 and brought them back to Tita's, who made ceveche for us (it was really good). On other dives, he speared a few lion fish and the groupers would steal them right off the spear. We had a variety of terrain (reef, wall, canyon, cave) over our dives and overall the diving was excellent.
I had a leaky reg develop during our stay. Stuart had it taken in to a shop in town where they serviced it at no cost (a second stage adjustment was needed). My reg was ready the next morning.
Overall, Sueno was a tremendous value. The resort was nice with a great location, the diving was excellent and we will definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Included with the rooms are airport transfers, breakfast,snorkeling. We installed a generator March of 2007 to deal with the current electric problems.Single price is $79 plus tax a night, doubles $89 plus tax. Dive packages available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your Sueno Del Mar Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sueno Del Mar Hotel West End
- Sueno Del Mar Resort Roatan, Honduras - West End