“Dive, Dive and More Dives !!!”

Sueno Del Mar Resort
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in West End
Cypress, Texas
“Dive, Dive and More Dives !!!”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

April 24th-30th,2011 :

Roatan is a true divers Paradise and Sueno Del Mar has the full package ! An incredible dive shop full of all the necessities every accessory possible for YOUR dive trip with an incredibly personable team ! It's like you have your own personal dive master because there was never more that two other diver diving with us at one time, while on our adventures underwater !

The rooms were large and extremely clean, with maid service every day ( fresh towels, clean sheets, a/c, refridge, free wi/fi, hammock on the balcony, free breakfast every day) !!!

I want to thank Ray (the owner for 20+ years) for his hospitality and the whole crew in the dive shop and boat ! This was a vacation I will always treasure, ...until I return and do it again !!!

Room Tip: *All rooms are Ocean Front ! ...AAAA++++
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York, NY
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I will echo the other reviews. Staying at Sueno Del Mar makes your Roatan vacation so easy and convenient. You are literally steps from the dive shop, the dock and Tita's restaurant/bar (the burgers and Monkey La Las are as good as everyone says). At night, when you're ready to venture into town (after happy hour/sunset/volleyball-watching at Tita's), it's a few minutes walk to everything West End has to offer. But it's far enough away from the action that it's quiet when it's time to go to sleep. Ray, Tita and Stephanie will help you with any questions on where to eat, what night karaoke is, how to get around, etc.

Rooms are simple, spacious and clean, with comfortable beds, and the views can't be beat. I'm not much of a breakfast person, but everyone seemed to really enjoy Ray's eggs and pancakes. For boring eaters like me, he always had cereal and yogurt.

If you're looking for luxury and an infinity pool, try West Bay (and you may or may not find those things there) or one of the newer resorts. For a relaxing dive vacation where everything is just steps away, look no further than Sueno del Mar, and enjoy!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I went down to Roatan for one week, not really knowing entirely what to expect. I heard Roatan was great for diving and cheap to get certified.

I checked accommodation reviews here on Trip Advisor and felt that Sueno seemed like the best fit. And I was not disappointed in the least.

It's more like a Bed and Breakfast than a hotel. There are only eight rooms and Ray the owner serves you breakfast in his place/unit every morning. Each room has spectacular views of the ocean and I mean spectacular.

The diving can not be any more convenient as Sueno as they have their own dive shop.

There's a beach volleyball court and Tita's bar right on the beach. Great for afternoon and sunset beverages and Tita can prepare meals too. The dive shop does three dives a day and you can chill out at Tita's between dives if you so wish.

Although Sueno is only a minute or two from the main strip in the West End, it has an isolated feel. And it's only one of two places in the West End with beach front property.

The staff is very good and I felt that I made friends with many of them by weeks end.

There is nothing bad I could say about Sueno.

The only negative about the trip to Roatan is the sand flies. So bring some spray or buy the Coconut Spray when you get there.

All in all the diving was great, the convenience could not have possibly been better, the room was great, view was great, the people and feel of the place. I loved it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sharkman29
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Usually I find something to fix or complain about-- but not here! Our room was right on the beach (all the rooms are) with a balcony and fabulous view (all the rooms have them). It was clean with awesome air conditioning. And most importantly, we were just steps away from the diving (and the bar too-- kudo's to Tita!!). Michelle and her crew were fabulous-- for fun dives and courses (Michelle was the best advanced open water instructor I've ever had!!).
For location (steps to west end town), sunsets, and diving (we did 3 dives/day) Sueno cant be beat.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Sioux Narrows, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I am in total agreement with lil_monito's review of Sueno Del Mar. It was a comfortable and clean resort with a great relaxed atmosphere. Every amenity that we needed was near by, if not on the resort. The breakfast provided by Ray (the owner) was delicious and a great way to start the day.

After waffling a bit on my decision to take the open water dive course, I am very glad that I took the course. My nervousness was quickly changed to enthusiasm by my instructor Christie. She made me feel comfortable and not pressured. The dive staff at Sueno was friendly and knowledgeable and there was an added bonus of having smaller dive groups.

Tita and Stephanie at the Pink Seahorse were a blast. It was nice to have a place to go and mingle with the other vacationers and some locals, plus watch some beach volleyball. Do try the Monkey La Las.

We would not hesitate to return to Sueno Del Mar. Do not mistake it for an all-inclusive, your are on the wrong beach. If you are not interested in being herded around with the masses and would like to make your own decisions of what to do, where to eat and what to buy. This would be a good place to try. I would also recommend going sailing for a few hours with Dusty and taking a guided tour of the island (set up by Mary at the front desk).

And a final note: Before I went to Roatan, I was very concerned about the safety on the island. After my first day of settling in, the fears quickly disappeared. I felt as safe in the West End as I do in my own home.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank siouxdiver
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Just back from my second stay in seven months. Feels like home now. All the same people but a better boat -- and Ray makes breakfast to order! Stuart and Michelle superbly handle the underwater end while Hector keeps his hands on the helm. Lovely Mary meets and greets in the reception area and David and Elise provide backup in the office. Miguel and Mindy make your stay comfortable so all you have to do between dives is kick back -- or step next door to Tita's Pink Seahorse for a beer and a burger.
I think I feel another reservation coming on!

Room Tip: 2nd floor is just high enough to get a great view
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I found Sueno del Mar here on TripAdvisor and everything positive previously said is true. The location is phenomenal (a 5 minute walk from the main town but far enough away that you don't hear the music from the bars or the beeping of cars), the dive shop and its staff was incredible, and Sueno felt more like a community than a tourist hotel. By the end of our stay we knew everyone in the hotel from the guests to the staff to the locals who routinely came to visit Tita's Pink Seahorse restaurant at the hotel.

The professionalism and quality of the dive shop cannot be overstated. Michelle was a patient, qualified, and knowledgeable instructor who certified both my boyfriend and I as open water divers. For someone who has never dove before, she really helped me feel comfortable and safe by teaching me how to deal with any problems on my own rather than relying on her.

The bar and grill are reason enough to at least visit Sueno del Mar. Tita and Stephanie are wonderfully funny people and their charisma is proven by how many locals come by to visit every day. Plus, the bar has some of the most playful decorations I've ever encountered. I loved it!

As for Roatan itself, nightlife is very routine. Fridays are the big nights to go out because that is when all the locals come to West End. On Saturdays the bars are somewhat populated but its not nearly as big of a night. Otherwise, during the week the nightlife is very limited. Some bars have certain events on specific nights of the week (like karaoke) so ask Ray or Tita and you can find out when and where to go.

• Stayed March 2011
#8 of 14 in West Bay
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#3 of 8 in West End

Been to Sueno Del Mar Resort? Share your experiences!