“Excellent time!”
Review of Lands End

Lands End
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay here, and were sad to leave. The location is perfect, just far enough from town to be quiet however close enough to get to restaurants and entertainment within minutes. The grounds and view were lovely. Really enjoyed spending time in the hamock, on the beach, in the water, by the bar, etc. Adi, the manager, and Jenny, were super cool and helpful, and totally fun to chat with. The room was clean, comfortable and attractive. Couldn't have been more pleased. Thanks Land's End!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 15, 2008

We stayed in Roatan for 5 nights, 3 of which were at Lands End. Adi, the manager, was very friendly and extremely helpful. He went out of his way to make sure we were having a great time and that all was good. Lands End is in a beautiful spot at the very tip of West End, with great views, a pool and a bar. We had a quality experience staying at Lands End!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I selected the Lands End Resort after seeing the entry for it in the Lonely Planet guide and reviewing the resorts website. I am glad I chose it as it made for a wonderful stop on Roatan. My email enquiries were quickly and fully answered by Adi, the manager who could not do enough to make my stay enjoyable. He can recommend good dive companies and places to eat and is always available to assist. My room was beautiful with air con and fan, hot water private bathroom, large comfortable bed and a veranda view over the Caribbean to 'die' for. The salt water 'Infinity Pool' is a must for daily use and within feet of this is a ladder providing access to the Caribbean. You don't have snorkelling gear? Don't worry the resort has it for you! If you want a quiet restful time then this resort is perfect. If you want a bit more action then hang around the bar for the twice weekly barbacues with live music. Great views, restaurants and activities are close by with West End Bay just a five minute walk away. For diving I would recommend 'Reef Gliders' whom Adi put me onto. For sea fishing try Artley who can be contacted through the dive shop. I've never fished before but caught a 4 foot Wahoo ( I am guessing at the spelling ) which weighed 30 lbs and I've got the photos to prove it and finally if you have the spare cash speak to Stanley Submersibles about a submarine trip to 2000 feet to see sharks feeding. Worth every penny.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed July 16, 2007

My wife and I went to Roatan in June 2007 for our 5 year anniversary trip. We wanted a mix between an island in the bahamas (beautiful water) and Costa Rica (lush, laid back, inexpensive) and we found exactly what we were looking for in Roatan.

We stayed at Lands End Resort and we loved it. Great place, and even better people. We weren't divers like most of the other travelers in Roatan, but it didn't matter. We had a blast and had plenty to do and explore. The room was comfortable and looked out over the water (we stayed in the king oceanfront room)....but like on all vacations...we spent very little time in the room. We loved hanging out at the bar at Land's End...visiting with fellow travelers, talking to the bartenders, and meeting with other locals and hearing "their stories about how they ended up in Roatan". Wednesday and Sunday nights were fun at the bar.....lots of people show up on those nights. Great conversations and great drinks.....ask Jenny for her special concoction of "jenny juice"....trust me...it's good.

The location of the place was perfect. A short walk to West End was easy. We liked walking to Casa Calico in the mornings for a traditional Honduras breakfast (for cheap). Also, we really liked Lighthouse Restaurant for dinner (go at night...nice candlelight dinner on the deck over the water).

Other suggestions for things to do if you don't dive: if you get a chance, take a day trip to the other end of the island to Oak Ridge. Go down to the docks and ask for "Alfred". He took us on a mangrove tour on his boat and we asked him to make a stop at "Hole in the Wall". A bar only accessible by boat. If you want chill....this is it. There was a giant parrot on the bar just hanging out next to my drink. Pretty cool.

Anyways, back to Land's End.......I highly suggest this place. I have already told many of my friends to go to Roatan and stay at Land's End. It is the perfect blend of laid back, fun, inexpensive, and comfortable. We'll have memories for a lifetime. Check out the pics I uploaded from Land's End.....what you see is what you get......a great time! Thanks and we hope to be back some day!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HookEmLoneStar
Reviewed July 4, 2007

I should have known something was wrong when I kept trying to reserve
a room throught the website and no one was getting back to me. I was finally able to make a reservation by calling them directly, but now I wish I hadn't tried so hard. The website is very misleading and there is false information on it. I was skimming through some of the other reviews and I can't believe that we're talking about the same place. This place was very disappointing, and coming from a backpacker who has low expectations that means alot. The rooms were very dirty, the screens on the windows were broken, service was horrible (there were times no one was there), the A/C barely worked, and there was no internet as advertised. The pool wasn't all that great and noise was a problem some nights. There were some pet deer roaming the property (but I kind of liked that). We ended up moving over to Seagrape next door which was a totally different experience and for less cost too.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank joungtae
Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed at Lands End in May and June of 2007. What a wonderful experience! My husband and I met friends and flew to Roatan together. A 20 minute taxi ride and we were transported to a spot like no other. Lands End, now under new ownership and management, has become one of our most treasured spots on the planet.

The accomodations were wonderful. Large rooms were very clean, with air conditioning, comfortable beds, a refrigerator, incredible ocean views and sunsets. We spent quality time lounging in the negative edge salt water pool. The bar hosts locals and tourists alike and provided us with great entertainment; not only the music but the lively conversation from the people who hung out enjoying this very special place. These people love where they are and what they do!

We had the good fortune of being at the bar one night when the electricity went out in all of West End. The night sky was so spectacular I can't find the words to describe that experience except for wow and then disappointment when the generators next door kicked on and lit up the neighborhood!

West End village is an easy walk. We never had a bad meal or experience there in the days we spent eating and drinking our way through town. If you like diving, interesting and fun people, try Tyll's Dive Shop. They are very safe, fun and keep the groups small.

We loved the people who we met at Lands End. We will cherish this experience and will definitely make our way back here. The service and accomodations where excellent, but most important we felt welcomed and cared for during our stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2007

Okay, we cried when we left - really. We loved this place.

First, the factual, basic stuff everyone cares about: All four seaside rooms (the only ones we stayed in) are large and clean with high ceilings and a ceiling fan, air-conditioning, and a nice, private verandah to sit and reflect on nothing at all if you want while you watch a dolphin pod swim by. The rooms have a great shower, your own coffee-maker with rich Honduran coffee (of course), comfy beds (some rooms have queens, some kings) and a TV where you can watch the Weather Channel and Mexican wrestling. I'm sure there's other stuff, too, but we didn't spend a lot of time with the TV. It's a short walk into the main part of West End - maybe a quarter mile (half a kilometer). We walked really slow, and we were into it in maybe 10 minutes. It's a nice walk. And after you've stuffed your belly at the Cannibal Cafe or Rick's (above West End Divers), trust me, you'll need the walk home. In the morning, put on your bathing suit, grab your snorkel, and check out the great coral, coral canyons, and sea life just down the ladder from the bar. Hang out and float effortlessly in the salt water pool next to the bar while you watch the cloud puffballs float by, or wait till nightfall and look at the infinity of stars above you. Have a tropical rum drink.

But for us, the real stuff, and the reason we got all weepy when we left, was the people. We came in complete strangers, and we left feeling like we'd found new friends in this little corner of paradise. The people - fellow travelers, locals, our lovely bartenders, and the regulars from Tyll's dive shop (highly recommended, by the way, if you dive) - are friendly, funny, hearts-of-gold folks who made us feel like we'd found a home away from home.

We loved Land's End. It's a gem.

(A note about us: we're a couple in our 40's living in the midwest, one of us an information systems project manager in corporate America, the other an independent home remodeling contractor. We travel a fair amount, mostly in the U.S., but we've also been to various other Caribbean destinations and all around Europe.)

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
#8 of 14 in West Bay
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#1 of 9 in West End

Been to Lands End? Share your experiences!