Rooms are clean. Air Con is good. Nice clean sheets, towels & bathrooms. Soap & shampoo provided. Wifi worked without hitch from 2nd floor (room #25) but my friend had issues from ground floor (room #7). Hotel has a generator - we lost power only once and genset was auto start within 60 seconds.
Airport is 10-15 min away. Plenty of good food within 3-5 minutes. We only opted for Breakfast plan for convenience. Dive shop on premises - right next to the rooms - like 15-20 feet away. You can store your scuba gear there. Do bring bug spray & Sun Screen lotion. Taxi from Airport to hotel was at fixed price at US$25 (as of Aug 2014).
Do not drink water from faucets -we opted to brush our teeth with bottled water. Quite a few people got sick after a few days with the stomach bug and fever. I recommend coming prepared with Immodium, Pepto Bismol, fever/pain meds and even an antibiotic like Ciproflaxin. My son fell sick and recovered within 12 hours due to Cipro while others were down for 2 days without the antibiotic.
Restaurant is a little overpriced with mediocre Italian food and almost no local cuisine. Boring ambiance for having a drink.
Not too happy with the scuba shop -- the ladders on the boat are not good. The rungs are rounded and the hand holds are a rope! At least 3-4 people I know slipped off the ladder (including me getting bruises on my stomach and legs). Dive masters/Instructors do tend to lead large groups and sometimes ignore students or new divers in distress. They also push real hard to sell PADI books for courses even though PADI says the books are optional.
The Scuba operation needs improvement. Though they have a cart, they want all divers to carry their weights and gear back to the shop from the boat (they bring the tanks back). Not a very big deal, but when diving in the Caribbean we do expect some level of service on vacation. The boats DO NOT have a marine radio or running lights. Never saw an emergency oxygen bottle on any boat. For night dives, the boats do not have internal lights or a flashing beacon underwater. Not sure how they achieved a PADI 5-star rating. If you need dive equipment repaired, see Mr Tree at COCONUT DIVERS.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is located in West End, on one of the best beaches on the island. The Hotel Splash Inn Dive Resort overlooks one of the most beautiful barrier reefs in the world. We will offer you personal attention and our trained staff will make your stay on Roatan an unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Splash Inn Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Splash Inn Dive Hotel West End
- Pura Vida Hotel Dive Center
- Pura Vida Resort Dive Center
- Splash Inn Dive Resort Roatan, Honduras - West End