“Solid Hotel with an Excellent Dive Center!”

Splash Inn Dive Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in West End
Chicago
“Solid Hotel with an Excellent Dive Center!”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located on the main strip with plenty of restaurant choices close by. The room was clean and well appointed, the bed and linens comfortable, and the staff was friendly. We had an excellent experience with the dive center on site. Serena, the manager, was warm and accommodating. Mauricio, our instructor, was fabulous! He was thorough, patient, and a genuinely good person. We had such a good experience with him getting our advanced certification that we talked our friends into getting their open water with him (even though they weren't planning on doing any diving). They extolled Mauricio as well, appreciating the way he performed every skill he required of them during their classes. I've since recommended Splash Inn and Mauricio to another friend who has had a great experience as well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
splashinn_11, Gerente at Splash Inn Dive Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to review us. Our staff appreciate your comment and hope to see you back very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Brunssum, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Splash Inn Dive Resort was very great for my stay. It was very simple, but most of all the room was very clean with an ocean view! The front desk helped us out a lot by getting ahold of taxi's, a guy to give us a tour around the Island ($35.00 a piece) and a boat to take us out snorkeling. The breakfast and the coffee is just down right amazing at Splash Inn. We didn't eat lunch or dinner there since we were always on the go. I would give Splash Inn a 4. It was a simple place to stay and we had no problem with anything there. We wasn't looking for a 5 star place, but this did us just great! I would recommend for the couples, family, friends or solo person that is wanting something simple place to stay on Roatan. Love the people and the food, will be seeing you guys again soon! Thanks Splash Inn Dive Resort for a remarkable stay.

Room Tip: We had room 26 it we did have a little of a ocean view, it was beautiful! Very happy with that room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
It's great to know that you will come back to our little paradise. We hope to see you soon.
Seattle
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Keeping this short, sweet and to the point, much like the hotel itself – my husband and I stayed here for 6 nights as the second part of our holiday to Roatan and would give this spot a 3+ or a 4-, but since that isn't an option, 4 stars it is. It was just what we had expected and hoped for, a clean, well-kept budget hotel, where the price was great, nothing was too fancy and it was close to everything. It was! The staff was nice, but not overly helpful – NOTE: the housekeeping staff was AMAZING, 5 stars!! One of the gals brought us a cooler so we could have cold beverages, and refilled it with ice every day without us asking, they were fabulous!!! The noise from the street for some of the rooms can be a little much but with the aircon on it didn’t bother us. We had a great view of the ocean, through some power lines (que sera sera! Can’t complain when you are in paradise for a budget price right?) And could walk everywhere. The restaurant downstairs was great, we ate there frequently, decent prices and solid choices for Italian food (which is why you go to Central America right? Jokes jokes). It is right next door to the dive shop which was really convenient for the early morning dives. Everything was just what we wanted, we would totally go back here!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing us!
Great to know that you enjoyed your time with us in splash inn resort.
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Splash hotel for 3 nights with a friend. We got in around 1pm. The room was ready and clean. Had a cute swan towel on the bed. The staff was friendly, they gave us fruit punch when checking in. The room and bathroom are spacious. The shower is big and gets nice and hot, good water pressure and stays got the whole trip. There is a dive shop at the hotel. We did a discover dive session for only $100. The staff was friendly and our instructor even took photos for us under water.
The hotel is at west end. Right next to bars, restaurants, and even a yoga studio. There's also water taxis right out front to take you to west bay.

A few negatives about the hotel-
If you are a person who Requires wifi on vacation, the wifi connection is horrible in the rooms. But you're in paradise so who cares.

Also, if you're expecting the Ritz, you may be disappointed. There were tiny ants on out sink everyday. But I figure, were on an island. No biggie.

Last complaint, that really bugged me is the taxi driver that they do business with! Leaving the airport we agreed on a price- when we got to the hotel, the price changed! He got angry and went to the hotel desk and chewed us out. Then when leaving the hotel set up the cab- (if I knew it would be the same guy, I would of passed!) he came banging on our door an hr and half early. Telling us we were wrong and gave the wrong time. I told him he was wrong- our flight time hasn't changed! Then he leaves and comes back again, 30 min early bAnging on the door. Yelling for us to come on and we are wasting his time! I told him I didn't want him to be our driver and I would find someone else. He wouldn't take no for an answer and tried to make nice and blame the lady at the desk and said it's her fault- SHE is crazy!

Overall I had a great visit to Roatan and great stay at Splash. I will defiantly be returning. :)

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your comment Melissa.
We are glad to know that you will come back.
Our wifi works properly now, we are sorry for the inconvenience.
California
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My curiosity in visiting Roatan peeked when I noticed several cruise ships were making this stop. After hours of research and review on Trip Advisor, we decided to fly to Roatan and picked the Splash Inn for our stay during the 2nd week of July. I reached out to the hotel for pick up (sur-charge) and was greeted by a nice man, who gave us an explanation of the island as we headed to the hotel. The airport is approx. 25min away but it away from the hustle and bustle from Coxen Hole.

We arrived to the hotel which does not sit on the beach since the "main" street separates the hotel from the water. One big plus, is that the water taxis are right at your door step and if you are a diver , the hotel has everything at your disposal.

The restaurant sits in front of the reception so don't be thrown off. Easy check in and we were greeted with a refreshing fruit punch drink. We were shown to our room which had all the basics that we needed. The bed was actually comfortable and TV offered English programs. The air conditioning will only be on when you have your hotel key in the designated area so do not expect to keep the air conditioning on while you are away diving, snorkeling or whatever it is you like to do in the water.

The West End is small and after a few days the locals will know you and you will know them. How often do you experience that? I miss that since I came back from my vacation and even giving someone a smile for the day is greeted with a frown. I guess I'm not at the island anymore.

We only ate at the hotel restaurant twice and we were not disappointed with the meals. Make sure to get the pizza here because they do a great job with the crust. If the meals were so good , you probably are asking why we didn't eat there everyday. Well, there are a few choices like ladies who come out a night and sell you $5 dinner plates and the Rotisserie Chicken place down the street.

We enjoyed the serenity of the hotel and just as mentioned in a previous review you will hear the rooster every morning. I wish I would have gone looking for that rooster to avoid these early morning wake up calls.

The only warnings I have are the following:
Keep your door closed because this is the tropics and mosquitoes love this weather and they will love you too. The hotel works on keeping these under control but you can't fight mother nature. Keep the repellant handy.

Power outages will occur but not to worry the hotel has a generator so you won't even know there is a power outage until you notice 1/2 the ton is not up and running.

Great location and everything is within walking distance.Beach towels are available at the reception area for you. If you are not a diver the hotel does offer snorkeling gear and there are great spots to explore the beautiful underwater world in Roatan. I hope that the island does not get overrun by the corporate world because sometimes you just don't want to see a Walmart or Starbucks at every corner.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CaliforniaOntheGoMom
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Splash Inn from June 19-July 1. We had been snorkeling and wanted to try scuba diving. This was our first time diving, and it was so convenient staying at the hotel of the dive shop. We were able to eat in the restaurant of the property-wonderful fruit salad for breakfast, nice service, and the benefit of putting it on our room's tab. We were able to run a tab for the dive shop as well. At the very end, it was all combined, and we paid once. Easy! I did quite a bit of research here on Trip Advisor before going to Roatan. I chose the West End over West Bay for us, which was a good call. While we went to West Bay several times, it wasn't our scene. We don't suntan, and we don't party. The location of the Splash Inn is excellent.

I knew that the hotel did not have a room safe or a mini fridge. Both would make the experience much better. It was irritating not to have them, but I knew what we were getting into. The hotel was an excellent value for the price. We were upstairs and as people had mentioned on here before, it was convenient to hang our wet clothes over the balcony. The noise of the rooster and dogs was annoying - again, those were also well represented on here, so I knew what I was getting into. After arriving and taking our stuff upstairs to our rooms, we went out. When we came back, the lock to our room broke while we were opening it. :( We had to move downstairs. No elevator. Nobody carried our stuff this time. The next day we had to move back upstairs - no elevator, nobody carried our stuff again. That was irritating, but they did fix the lock on our original room and got us back upstairs. I didn't want to stay downstairs anyway, because there is no railing to dry clothes, and I couldn't use my laptop from the bed. The headboards in the downstairs room were attached to the wall, and this obstructed the wall outlet for the laptop. Also, I can't remember how long it's been since I stayed in a hotel without phones in the room. Maybe youth hostels 20 years ago in college? That was a surprise. I didn't need to call anywhere, so it didn't become a problem; but it would have been nice to have been able to call to the front desk about the room changing business. Also, I don't like my room to be cleaned when there isn't a hotel safe. A phone would have been nice to call the front desk for the regular reminders that we didn't want anyone to clean our room. Also something I haven't seen forever - there were no ''Do Not Disturb" door hangers. This would have been convenient for us to keep the cleaning staff out. Would these annoyances be enough for me not to go back to the property? No. I would definitely return. I'm just a big fan of knowing what to expect. The dive shop was fantastic! Mauricio was our instructor for our Open Water Course. He's a fantastic teacher, and we loved him! We went on several dives with Chris and Daniel, and they were both awesome, too. We felt very well-taken care of, and Serena runs a great shop. The prices are outstanding. We would definitely return to both the property and the dive facility.

We ate at the places I researched on Trip Advisor: The Argentinian Grill, Porque no? Entre Nazca and Pisco-they were right - try the passionfruit cheesecake! We had daily tacos for lunch at the Cannibal Cafe; for dinner we often went to Creole's Rotisserie chicken. We loved that place! The chicken and coconut rice are awesome, and the desserts really are amazing. We tried every single one. The carrot cake was my favorite and as advised, they did run out of desserts sometimes. We went to El Bosque-it wasn't all that but it was fast which is why we went that day. Our vacation was relaxing. I was surprised that there wasn't much shopping. People do try to sell you things while you are eating which I'm not a fan of, especially while eating, or when it's children. It's much worse on the days when cruise ships are in town: massages, DVDs, carved trinkets, and lots of bracelets. However, it's much better than all of my trips to the Cancun, Cozumel, Mayan Riviera area in general. Playa del Carmen was very aggressive in this area, and I would take the peace of Roatan to the carnival that is Playa del Carmen any day. Taxis still honk at us as we walk by looking for a fare as they do in Mexico. While I love my trips, I'm always happy to come home to peace and quiet and being able to flush toilet paper again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LaMargot333
Lisle, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Had a great stay with my son for a week of scuba diving at Splash Inn. Based on prior TripAdvisor reviews, I was expecting a clean, comfortable reasonably priced property, and that's exactly what we got. Check-in was quick and easy, room was clean and everything worked well. Even during 1/2 day power outage, Splash Inn was one of few places in West End that had a generator and never lost a step.

Can't say enough about the diving. The whole gang there was just great. We're not highly experienced divers, but they bent over backwards to make us feel like we'd been diving for years. Walk out of our room, in the dive shop in seconds, all of our equipment and tanks would be already in the boat and we'd get briefed and walk right across the street to the dock. There's so many different dive spots, we never dived on the same place twice, and still didn't see everything. Splash Inn's dock is right across the street from the dock...couldn't be any easier.

Highly recommend the people and the property at Splash Inn.

Room Tip: Bring plenty of cash. Credit cards work in most restaurants, but tips are generally in cash, and so...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
splashinn_11, Gerente at Splash Inn Dive Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
We are glad to know that you and your son had a great time diving with us.
We hope to see you back in paradise very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West End
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 7 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Splash Inn Dive Resort? Share your experiences!