WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Splash Inn Dive Resort

Splash Inn Dive Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in West End
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful spot, even for non-divers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week and wanted to provide a review as non-divers. We chose the Splash Inn for the proximity to great snorkelling and a chance to enjoy the culture and get away from the all-inclusive scene, which we experienced a few years ago at West Bay.
We paid for half-board at Splash and found the meals to be very good, of good value and offering an excellent variety of lunch and dinner menu selections. The breakfasts could use a bit more creativity, though I enjoyed the big bowl of yogurt and fresh fruit and Honduran coffee each day. Our waiter Ben concocted a special breakfast fruit shake for us as an alternative to plain orange juice. Service in the restaurant and throughout the hotel was consistently very good.
The West End strip offers a dozen good restaurants and some stores. We recommend the Argentinian Grill and Tong’s Thai place.
The room was quite spacious and nicely decorated, with good mattresses and a huge shower for two. It would have met our needs very well had it not rained for six of the seven days, or perhaps if we had been divers. Being cooped up during the wet (but warm) weather, we would have liked to have a comfortable and shaded place to read in a guest area if not the room itself. Edith was kind enough to find a comfortable chair for me, the only one. Because of the open hallways, we kept our curtains drawn which contributed the feeling of confinement. We did not need the air conditioning, even with the windows closed at night.
Night-time noise was a problem for my husband. The inn is centrally locally on a busy urban road – a bit like Key West. You will hear barking dogs, crying babies, motorcycles, loud music until 2 a.m. and then roosters (we were in room 25). Even so, I had no problem with it.
We snorkelled 4-5 times during the week, walking in our bare feet a few hundred metres down the (recently paved) road to Half Moon Bay, just behind the white church. There, just a few minutes’ swim away, we saw enough variety of coral and fish to satisfy most snorkellers: a resting barracuda, a family of reef squid, French angelfish, blue tang, parrotfish, needlefish, a spotted eel in the grass, and dozens of other colourful fish, many of them a foot long. On one day, we joined the Splash Inn divers to a nearby dive site, but found the wildlife at that site disappointing compared to Half Moon Bay.
We recommend Splash Inn for a unique experience, but next time would stay 3-4 days and then spend time at a quiet place on the island with better opportunities for walking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cody16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
LAKEWOOD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Based on reviews here, my husband and I spent a wonderful week at this great little hotel/diveshop/restaurant. When arriving by taxi, we had a moment of "Oh my God. What did we get ourselves into?" West End really is a developing country town. However, our doubts quickly disappeared as we began to check in and then were shown our room. Ours was the king room shown on their website and it looked exactly like that. Nicely decorated, clean, and spacious. The bed was firm and comfortable and the airconditioner worked well as did the overhead ceiling fan. Was this a five star hotel? Of course not -- not at their very reasonable rates. Yet we had it all. The grounds are kept clean and our room was quiet at night.

The dive operation was very professionally done. I would have liked a bit longer dives -- most were about 45 minutes -- but they had a lot of newbies which they seemed to do a good job of training. We had our own gear but what I saw of theirs was new and of good quality. Dive masters are enthusiastic and professional. Dive sites are five to ten minutes away and your return to their shop between for surface intervals. This provides a lot of flexibility to pick and choose the dives you want to go on. At the end of the week, you pay based on how many dives you did rather than paying one set fee. Discounts are given for more dives.

The restaurant's food was wonderful. We opted for the all inclusive and you would have thought we would have run through the menu quickly. The opposite was the case. Each lunch and dinner, it was difficult to choose as the options were plentiful. I ended up repeating a couple of dishes not because of a limited menu but because I just had to have them again. Both my husband and I gained weight. The seafood risotto was to die for.

Will we return? Absolutely.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed for 10 days and did an advance dive course through them. Had a great time and learned a lot. The instructors were very qualified and patient. They are also great people, we had a lot of laughs. The actual location could not be better having so many dive sites right at your doorstep. The restaurant had quality food and friendly staff. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank VancouverKris
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This last January was my fifth time in the Splash Inn. Diving is always excellent, the team is professional, the equipment is first class, prices are very good, the people are welcoming...there probably be a sixth time.Recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HERAKLION
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Perfect diving place, and our instructor Thanasis was very cooperative. the night life is very close to the resort, you can go everywhere on foot. although, there was a lot of noise because of the construction in near buildings. They start work at 7 in the morning and finish at 5. The personnel was very kind and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank ELENI F
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This dive resort in located on Main Street in West End, Roatan. I had not been diving for 15 years and was quite nervous. My daughter has been to Roatan several times over the last year and has always enjoyed diving out of this dive shop. At their advice, I took a scuba tune up course which included an open water review. My dive master was very patient, but we were able to cover the material in an efficient manner and off we went. I felt more comfortable on my first dive back than I ever had been in years past. My daughter and I ended up diving with Splash Inn for 5 dives this week. We had alot of fun, felt completely safe, and saw amazing things on our dives. I definately recommend this dive shop, especially for anyone who has any anxiety about diving. Their small dive groups and individual attention will have you up to speed in no time. My daughter has her advanced open water and she also says it is her favorite dive shop. Splash Inn...West End, Roatan...roatansplashinn.com

Utila, Honduras
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Spent four night at Splash in with my girl friend on a lil get away from Utila, the location is hands down the best, they have their own dive school witch comes in handy or just head down 15 feet and there is west end divers.. The location is the best.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sueno Del Mar Resort
#7 of 9 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Splash Inn Dive Resort? Share your experiences!