“Wish I had stayed Longer”

Hostel La Buena Onda
Toronto, Canada
“Wish I had stayed Longer”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed at Buena Onda on our last night coming back through Roatan, and I wish we had booked it on our first leg as well! It is beautiful, just off the main strip and everyone was super friendly. Certainly the best way to meet amazing people and enjoy the relaxing nature of the island. There were kittens, what more can I say?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlexandraPhillips

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Statesboro, Georgia
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Hostel La Buena Onda was one of the most incredible hostel experiences I've ever had. Sophie the owner is fantastic, and helps you with whatever you may need. Sophie and Alvaro (the guy who helps out with the hostel) are extremely helpful and make you feel at home as soon as you walk in the front screen door. Not to mention you will meet amazing travelers from around the world here and you will more than likely make life-long friends.

The walk to the beaches, restaurants, stores and bars is short and not bad on the eyes either. The hostel itself is great and has everything you need to cook and feel comfortable during your stay. I stayed here for 10 nights and would have stayed longer if I could have. La vida es buena en Roatan!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
richmond
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I recently traveled to Roatan for a quick break from graduate school demands back in the states. Being a student, I researched budget accommodations and booked a bed at Buena Onda about 5 weeks in advance- and I'm glad I did! When I arrived they were booked and stayed fairly booked throughout my stay. The location is perfect- just a 5 minute walk to town, far enough away from the noisy street. While it did get a little warm at night, I think that is to be expected when you travel to a climate like Roatan. I felt safe and welcome throughout my stay; any questions I had were answered! I would highly recommend staying here if you don't mind sharing a room with other friendly travelers. I will return!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Thank god that hotel chillies did not hav any bed for me so that I ended up staying in buena onda. I stayed 8 nights there. Amazing staff friendly and caring owner sophie. So clean and and 3 min walk to the beach. There re hammocks upstairs where u can chill out and the hostel is very friendly environment. I went to roatan all the way from dubai for diving. Staying at buena onda defo made my trip worthy and if I ever go back to roatan I have no doubt staying at buena onda. For those who want more privacy, they hav few private rooms also. Dont miss out on this place, really!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Johannesburg
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Initially I was sceptical on arriving at the place and resisted paying until I had stayed at least one night (I had booked in for seven nights). Well, the place grew on me and now I can say that it is definitely a decent place to hang up your boots for a while. I stayed for 8 nights in the end and I enjoyed it a whole lot. I stayed in a dorm room.

I guess a lot depends on the crowd that is in the hostel at the time, but I think Roatan tends to attract a quieter, more mature bunch anyway, so you're probably going to be OK at Buena Onda. It is very chilled out and quiet. The WiFi is decent. The beds are comfy and the whole place is kept clean.

The walk to and from town should not put you off (it is at most a ten minute walk) and in fact I think will alleviate cabin fever of staying in West End itself, which is just too small to live in for long. I really enjoyed my daily, sometimes twice daily, walks into town.

My only recommendation is that you take your own bowl (there is only one in the communal kitchen) and possibly your own spoon. Washing up of dishes in this part of the world involves cold water so I'm not convinced that the standard of hygiene in kitchens is all that high.

Another recommendation: eat a budget meal at the tiny streetfood stall just off the petrol station forecourt. It has a Pepsi advert for a sign. very tasty, very large, fresh cooked, and very affordable!

Final FINAL recommendation: get cash from the ATMs often as they tend to stop working simultaneously and at the least convenient times. There is one inside the convenience store at the petrol station.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I totally agree with previous positive reviews and comments about close location, lovely roof, WiFi and etc. Great place to stay, clean and cozy. Not fancy, with outdoor shower, onsite kitchen, but for such price, we had more then we paid for. And the host is just AMAZING.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 7 in West End
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Hostel La Buena Onda? Share your experiences!