Hostel La Buena Onda
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Beach House(West End)
  • Restaurant
Lands End(West End)
Cocolobo(West End)
Villagio Verde(West End)
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate roomchilled placestayed here for two nightsstayed longermain areashort walknew friendsa great staywould definitely stay here againwest baysophiedormchillouthammocksinternetroatanisland
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Thank god that hotel chillies did not hav any bed for me so that I ended up staying in buena onda. I stayed 8 nights there. Amazing staff friendly and caring owner sophie. So clean and and 3 min walk to the beach. There re hammocks upstairs where u can chill out and the hostel is very friendly environment. I went to roatan all the way from dubai for diving. Staying at buena onda defo made my trip worthy and if I ever go back to roatan I have no doubt staying at buena onda. For those who want more privacy, they hav few private rooms also. Dont miss out on this place, really!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Initially I was sceptical on arriving at the place and resisted paying until I had stayed at least one night (I had booked in for seven nights). Well, the place grew on me and now I can say that it is definitely a decent place to hang up your boots for a while. I stayed for 8 nights in the end and I enjoyed it a whole lot. I stayed in a dorm room.

I guess a lot depends on the crowd that is in the hostel at the time, but I think Roatan tends to attract a quieter, more mature bunch anyway, so you're probably going to be OK at Buena Onda. It is very chilled out and quiet. The WiFi is decent. The beds are comfy and the whole place is kept clean.

The walk to and from town should not put you off (it is at most a ten minute walk) and in fact I think will alleviate cabin fever of staying in West End itself, which is just too small to live in for long. I really enjoyed my daily, sometimes twice daily, walks into town.

My only recommendation is that you take your own bowl (there is only one in the communal kitchen) and possibly your own spoon. Washing up of dishes in this part of the world involves cold water so I'm not convinced that the standard of hygiene in kitchens is all that high.

Another recommendation: eat a budget meal at the tiny streetfood stall just off the petrol station forecourt. It has a Pepsi advert for a sign. very tasty, very large, fresh cooked, and very affordable!

Final FINAL recommendation: get cash from the ATMs often as they tend to stop working simultaneously and at the least convenient times. There is one inside the convenience store at the petrol station.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I totally agree with previous positive reviews and comments about close location, lovely roof, WiFi and etc. Great place to stay, clean and cozy. Not fancy, with outdoor shower, onsite kitchen, but for such price, we had more then we paid for. And the host is just AMAZING.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnaMicha
Reviewed January 20, 2014

As far as hostels go this place is amazing! Cozy, clean and close to where you want to be. Sophie the owner is really nice and super helpful and the dog Churri is THE BEST. The hostel is a 5 min walk from West End with tons of restaurants and bars and from there the water taxi is 10 min to the West Bay beach with an amazing snorkel site. The hostel is also next to the gas station which has groceries, an ATM and anything else you may need. Rooms get a little hot if you happen to drop by during the day but are nice and cool at night. Lovely roof hang out with hammocks and you can see all of the stars at night. Hostel is located on a quiet street so you'll get a good night rest but there are roosters all over the islands so be prepared for that :P The shower is an adventure because you have to hold the shower head and you're not guaranteed hot water, but this didn't bother me in the slightest and the shower is clean which is all that matters to me. My friends and I had an excellent stay here!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This hostel is amazing - the sense of community, the location, the chill-ness! Sophie and Churri (her dog) are great hosts and really made my stay in Roatan fantastic. I especially loved hearing about how she opened the hostel and built it up from scratch - ask her to see her photos and floorplan. It's a 5 min walk from town (West End), internet, and an awesome hammock/rooftop chill area that we used almost everyday.

The hostel is simple and outdoorsy (and the shower is handheld but .. super refreshing!) and it's within a little community of rental apartments with families. It's hot, but that's the nature of the island. I met a lot of sweet people there too. Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends