Review Highlights
2000 Feet below the surface

Reviewed August 19, 2019
had503
Once in a lifetime experiance!

Reviewed June 11, 2019
Father W

All reviews once in a lifetime octopus tiger shark viewing area bioluminescent creatures deep water nat geo rare species dinner plate bring a jacket deepest dive unique experience shapes and sizes general public fish sea animals sea fans
Selected filters
Reviewed August 19, 2019

Did two dives in the Idabel at over 2000 feet below the surface. Both were terrific. Observed some rare species of fish and other deep sea dwellers. Highly recommend this adventure as a once in a lifetime opportunity. Be sure to bring some warm socks and pullover to put on once you are submerging, as it can get a little chilly at that depth inside the sub.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed June 11, 2019

I was on Roatan diving with friends from my dive shop and came across the Sub ride quite by accident. I'm glad I did because is was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. I took the Lophelia Reef tour. We left the dock about 3:30pm and retuned just before 8:00pm. What I saw and learned in that time will stay with me for the rest of my life. I am admittedly a bit of dive geek, but the chance see first hand the kinds of life beyond the reach of all but a handful of governments and universities was something I was not going to miss. The trip exceeded my every expectation. 2000 feet below the surface the life is nowhere near as dense as it is on the shallow water reefs above, but it is far stranger and more interesting. From the bioluminescent creatures in the water column beyond the reach of sunlight, to a chance encounter with a rare caribbean rough shark, the entire trip was filled with a sense of true exploration and discovery. I cannot recommend the trip highly enough. However that is not to say there are no caveats. First if you are uncomfortable in tight spaces you will want to think twice. The interior of the sub is necessarily spartan and cramped. There is no toilet and no room to even stretch your legs out from a seated position. There is padding on the bench you sit on, but it is only adequate and not luxurious. But if you can deal with those minor inconveniences for a few hours then the experience will be well worth it and it will be a highlight of your trip.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed June 1, 2019

I had first heard of Karl and his submarine several years years ago when I was looking for the deepest dive one could do, without being James Cameron. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time as the deep water Blue Planet episodes are my favorite! My mother and I decided to go to Roatan for a spur of the moment trip, and I was SO incredibly happy that Karl was able to match me with someone for the Lophelia Reef dive at the last minute!

I decided to do the Lophelia Reef dive because if you’re going to do something like this, I really think you should go all the way. I wasn’t scared at all for the 5ish hours we were down there-I was glued to window the entire time! The bioluminescent creatures (including those exploding shrimp from Blue Planet!) were beautiful. We saw tripod fish, various jellyfish, this amazing siphonophore, tinsel fish, huge shoals of upside down fish, the cutest shy squid, and all these ancient deep water corals. It was so worth it, and was the highlight of my trip. Karl is super nice, and was great in spotting sea life, and would tell us more about what we were seeing. He was also very patient as I peppered him with random questions. It got down to about 50ish degrees down there, so bring a jacket and wear comfy clothes. Also don’t eat a heavy meal or chug water beforehand.

The only thing different I would do is to bring a better camera (I used my old iPhone), because it’s difficult to capture the bioluminescence-I have a bunch of videos that just show a black screen with me saying “WOW AMAZING” for a minute! However I did get some beautiful pictures of the sea life when the sub lights were on.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed December 24, 2018

It's one of those things like a BBC documentary, you half expect David Attenbourgh to be narrating over your shoulder.
It's great. It was worth the money to us. You get to do something that is akin to travelling into space. There is cool sea life down there, not as much as I thought though...as a diver I guess I expected marine life to be abundant. But it is 'The Deep' so it is to be expected. We did see heaps of cool stuff though, juvie tiger sharks, chimera, weird crabs that wear hats of seaweed and shells, glass sponges, spiny lobsters, sea lillies (amazing criniods from a time long ago) cool prawns and deep sea jellies, and a host of other cool things. Apparently, the scientists that also go down in this vessel make similar squeals of joy and wonderment like us. Do not be embarrassed when you giggle and squeal with amazement and awe.

It is cramped in the sub (but it was ok for us), it was a bit cold (wear socks and a jumper which we did and it was fine) and it is a lot of money (totally worth it)

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed December 2, 2018 via mobile

Amazing experience.
Yes the viewing area is very "cosy"..ok it's cramped BUT we went to 1000ft and were lucky enough to see a 10ft Tiger shark there!!!

Date of experience: October 2018