“Gringos Only”
Review of Sundowners

Sundowners
Ranked #5 of 63 Restaurants in West End
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
North Palm Beach, Florida
“Gringos Only”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

my wife and i visited this nice palapa style bar on the beach. she only speaks Spanish and ordered a couple of beers for us. the lady behind the bar, very rude, told her we don't speak Spanish here. i then order from her in English and asked why a bartender in Honduras doesn't speak the language? she replied " we only want Americans here. we drank our beers and went to a friendlier establishment down the road.

1 Thank diver420
Loaferoatan, Owner at Sundowners, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear Diver420:
I'm saddened by your review, but wish to add that five of my bartenders speak Spanish along with my bar-back, beach clean-up guy and my three cooks. Only two do not speak Spanish and I can hardly believe either of them would say something so callous and shallow, since they are two of my best bartenders. We've been open for eight years and have always catered to locals (Islanders and Mainlanders), tourists and gringo expats. We would have such a high rate of success if we served only gringos as your review implies. The only Spanish speaking women we may have offended are prostitutes since we do not serve them at the bar because we have found that they are very opportunistic and tend to walk away with belongings of tourists (this applies to local drug dealers as well!). Sorry you had a bad experience, Diver420. Next time come ask for me and I'll buy you a beer and chat about it.
Aaron

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Epic beach bar”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Great joint. Nice folks and amazing atmosphere. Super cheap beers on the beach. No brainer!!!

New York City, New York
“Beautiful view, great cocktails!”
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Sundowners always has a lively crowd which enticed us to check it out. We had a few interesting frozen drinks - monkey lala and a zac attack. All delicious. We didn't order food but they had a good list of bar food. Fantastic service and unbeatable sunset views. Definitely a stop in West End.

LoCal (San Diego)
“Went there every night for a week.”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Chillies for a week and we went to Sundowners every night for happy hour and to watch the sunset. Nice cold beer and surprisingly good nachos. Fun crowd. Mix of tourists and locals all having a fun, chill time. Not the cheapest place but the location can't be beat.

Yes, there are dogs trying to mooch and there is excrement on the beach, The sand fleas are brutal. This isn't a good place for kids, but that is what the beach is for.

I wish I was there this evening!

Merritt Island, Florida
“Great beach bar!”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We visited Roatan for the first time in May 2009 and again in Oct 2010 and we love Sundowners. We were looking for a nice, local place to hang out, have a drink and be on the beach...this was it!!! There were so many friendly people, locals and tourists, and the atmosphere was fun! We can't wait to go back again.

• Visited October 2010