“Nice people, decent place for the price”
Review of Hotel Chillies

and 1 more site!
Hotel Chillies
Ranked #1 of 12 West End B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I need to start off this review by emphasizing how extremely nice and helpful the staff was at Chilies. They were by far the highlight of our stay. Also, the back area is absolutely beautiful -- tons of flowers, lots of hummingbirds and other small wildlife, and the cabins are all amazing. The location is also terrific -- right on the main road in town.

Now for the bad news. My biggest complaint is about the pricing structure there -- $22 for a double with a shared bath during low season is unreasonably high considering the amenities that were offered. Granted, it's one of the cheapest place to stay in the West End, so maybe my complaint should be with the inflated prices of the island. Unfortunately, Chilies is taking the hit for lack of value either way.

Despite boasting that wifi was available, you were lucky if you could load a simple website during any part of the day. Then, it gets cut off from about 9pm to 7:30am every day (not too great when you like to get up at 5:30 or 6 to get some work done).

Other small things that were unfortunate...No soap was provided -- either for bathing or for washing your hands in the bathroom.

Also, there was construction on the shared kitchen going on at the time. The staff was nice enough to offer us use of the furthest back kitchen, which was actually quite nice. However, it would be locked from 9pm until people started showing up around 8am (again, a problem for the early risers and an unfortunate surprise for our neighbor who was supposed to leave for a dive at 8 that morning). While it's not really a popular practice in Central America, a heads up about the construction and maybe a small, good faith discount would have been much appreciated.

All of this being said, I just wish the price reflected the quality we were going to get. I have no frame of reference to compare Chilies to other places on Roatan, but compared to the many places I've stayed in Central America, it fell short.

Room Tip: From what I hear, the cabins are the place to stay.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alex T
Fishymishy, Owner at Hotel Chillies, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Hi Alex,

I am so glad that, in general, you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, the island is very expensive compared to mainland Central America and we price our rooms so that our guests don't pay too much but can enjoy 24hr water, the use of a kitchen, a clean, safe, central and secure location.

Sorry about the construction work on the kitchen but October is our quietest month and so we have to take advantage of that. It is now reopen and looking very nice!

Our internet provider has good and bad weeks and I should know as I use it too! I have recently been looking at finding a new provider who might give us a better service.

Hope you had a good trip back to Nicaragua and come back and visit us again!

Regards
Mish

There are newer reviews for Hotel Chillies

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Hotel Chillies offered us excellent value for money during our 5 days stay in September 2012. Our cabin was fully made of wood with a hammock outside for relaxation. Everything was very clean. There is a very nice garden surrounding the bungalows, and a kitchen cabin for free use with tables in the garden.
Staff was very friendly and helpful.Highly recommended

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a busy hostel and if you want to stay here without a reservaton you might have to wait for a few days elsewhere. when you get in its a nice place to stay.

it has
wifi, dorms and private rooms, kitchen, diving services,

Its located well for the centre of town, supermarkets

It is set in a beautful garden and has ample outdoor spaces to relax

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Fishymishy, Owner at Hotel Chillies, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

I'm sorry we didn't have a room for you when you arrived but I'm glad you enjoyed your stay once you were able to check-in. We are a very busy hotel and we are happy to make reservations in our cabins for 3 or more days. We keep it simple for the dorm beds and main house rooms with a first come, first serve system. If you ever come back to Roatan just email us and we will hold a cabin for you.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Staff was knowledgeable and friendly,,,,,,,,,Dive staff all had great accents and had a wealth of information. Don't be scared buy stories of sand flies... Just don't lay on the sand without bug spray.

Room Tip: Was super humid in April the only reason for the sleep quality being not perfect.. Rooms were simple...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank monica s
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Chillies for 7 nights last week and we were having the best of time both during the stay at Chillies and diving with Native Sons. We stayed in the $30 cabin and it was a good price for us. We had the privacy we needed, the room was clean, and we especially love the beautiful garden around us. We found that we didn't even need the fans to be turned on at night because it got pretty breezy at times. The location was also perfect because it was in walking distance with almost everything in West End. The beach was just steps away and when we wanted to go or not go diving we could just slip into the shop and sign up or cancel. Everything was set according to our needs and it was really comfortable. Together my husband and I did more than 20 dives (including an Advanced Open Water course for my husband) with Native Sons and every single one was great. Both divemasters, Eddie and Fiona took really good care of us and we always felt relaxed during the dives, including when I did my first night dive. We met some wonderful people while staying there, both the owners and staff of Chillies/Native Sons and fellow guests. We will definitely come back. Missing the good life in West End already!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This place was absolutely perfect. A group of 16 of us stayed here for about 12 bucks a night. I highly recommend the private cabins! They're nice and cozy, have a nice private shower (warm water smelled a bit...), private bathroom and it just felt like such a tropical vacation. We were about a 30 second walk from the beach (Half Moon Bay) and 2 minute walk away from some great restaurants. Actually, there was a nice Canadian own bar right across the street that was playing the hockey playoffs, perfect since our group was Canadian. I highly recommend anybody to go!

Room Tip: Get the private cabin!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I went to Chillies in West End after a great two weeks of diving and touring on Utila. Only a dorm was available and I was told by bored staff that there were no lockers and no safe. I locked the door and while I was out my room was ripped off but unbelievably the door was still locked on my return, no sign of a break-in and I didn't notice the rip-off because the robbers had had time to go through my bag thoroughly, take all electronics and associated cords and plugs, leave the cases and repack the bag so it wasn't immediately evident. My friend sharing the dorm was also ripped off and another acquaintance in a private room had been ripped off the previous day. When the police came to fill out a report the shifty-eyed staff denied any part of it and I felt a "too bad about your stuff; there's nothing we can do" attitude. I had booked two dives with the associated Native Son's Dive Co. and was underwhelmed too. We did not "buddy up" on the first dive and the "group" of 5 took off without me when I didn't have enough weight to descend. One employee finally did come back to get me but the others were already gone. Also they weren't too forthcoming on locations and explanations of future dives so I didn't have a choice in where I went for the second dive. I left that day and found a more secure room and another company to dive with that was much more professional. Yes, I was glad to leave Roatan. However, on the up side I had a lot of good experiences other places in Honduras.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a dorm or the main rooms. Looks like the cottages are better.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank southbound82
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

I can quite understand that you were not impressed after what happened. My husband and I took this incident very seriously. In the 15 years we have had Chillies this is the worst loss any of our guests have suffered and I felt terrible about it. The first thing we did was change the lock of the room as one possibility was that someone had found a room key and used it to enter the room. Then we put up notices in the office and in the dormitory to leave all valuables in the lock-up in the office. We have 3 staff members with access to room keys and 2 have been here 10+ years so our other suspicion lay with the 3rd worker who had only been with us 6 weeks. Four weeks later another guest lost some money from the same dormitory room. We realized then that it must be the new office worker and she was fired. That was about 6 weeks ago and as yet we have had no more problems.
Any time you employ someone in a hotel there is a certain amount of trust you have to put in them and in this case we put trust in a bad person and I am so sorry that you had to suffer the consequences.
In the dive shop we quite often put up a site for the 9am dive as that is when we do the deeper sites and some of the more advanced sites. After that we do not usually assign a site as we like to take people to new places for every dive and we wait to see who signs up to decide where to go. Also many times sites have boats tied up on them and so rather than over-crowd a site we will go somewhere else.
Again I am very sorry that your stay with us was so unpleasant and I really hope that it doesn’t happen again to any of our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West End
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 9 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Hotel Chillies? Share your experiences!