“Good value, pretty much like camping”
Review of Hotel Chillies

Hotel Chillies
Ranked #2 of 12 West End B&B and Inns
Roseville, California
“Good value, pretty much like camping”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed for a week in private cabin #6, in late August. We were traveling on a budget, going to Roatan to dive. I discovered Chillies online and found their website to be an accurate description of what we found. Email and telephone correspondence with the owner Michele prior to our arrival made reserving our cabin effortless.

Getting there was easy! About a 25 minute cab ride from the airport, the cab was $20 for the both of us. Chillies is very centrally located in West End. Lots of places near by to buy groceries or eat at local restaurants. Right across the street from a decent beach.

The cabin was as described, simple, small and cozy with two beds. We got one with hot water but really didn't need it. It was situated in a lovely garden with lush plants and trees providing shade all over. It was nice and private, but definitely not insulated from weather or sound. The biggest complaint I have from the trip was we were right next to a house on the adjacent property and each night the residents watched TV VERY loudly until about midnight. It kept us awake many nights and we felt there was nothing we could reasonably do about it (its not like we were going to ask those folks not to watch TV so late in their own house!). Nearly as irritating was that there was no air conditioning in the room. We knew this going into it, but I didn't realize how much I would miss it. We found ourselves spending lots of time in stores and restaurants that were air conditioned simply to cool off. Not as bothersome was on Friday night we could hear the super loud music from the bar across the street into the wee hours of the night. The room was cleaned every couple days; if we wanted the sheets changed more often we could've asked. Hotel staff was helpful if we had special requests. Safe location, too. They had a night security guy but I didn't feel like he was totally necessary. My girlfriend felt safe walking around by herself during the day. Never solicited by panhandlers or felt shady folks around until we walked out of West End at night (there's really no need to do this).

The power went out on the entire West End a couple times a day for the first few days we were there. Chillies had a generator but it seemed they didn't always use it. Sometimes we'd be in the room for a nap or shower but the fans would be off or the shower wouldn't work due to lack of power--that pretty much turned the room into a sauna.

We tried to cook for ourselves quite a bit in the shared kitchen. I would not recommend this. While it was okay for easy, instant breakfasts and things like that, the stove didn't heat very high, there were a VERY limited number of dishes/pots/pans/silverware, and I really question how clean everything there was (ants in the kitchen, and NO hot water to wash plates and the such?!). We could store a very limited about of dry goods on a shelf there and there was a small refrigerator to keep a small amount of food cold. I don't recommend keeping food in the cabin, when we did this ants found their way in. There are plenty of super cheap delicious places around to eat out.

Diving with Native Sons was awesome! Great value, good dive boat, pretty decent equipment, great staff. I was VERY pleased with the diving experience. We mostly dove with Josh, he was great. Got my advanced open water cert and glad I did it. It was so convenient to stay at Chillies and dive with Native Sons. I think it would've been a hassle to stay & dive at different places (would have to wake up earlier, take cabs, etc). Since West End is basically in the middle of the Marine Park the furthest dive site we went to was about a ten or fifteen minute boat ride away--most were within about 5 minutes.

Overall, it was definitely worth the money. This would be a great place to stay if you are on a tight budget, don't mind no A/C, are a heavy sleeper, and don't need anything fancy. Great dive shop. Good location.

Room Tip: Mosquitoes were out of control! Even with 100% deet they still went after us full force. Must brin...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
East Petersburg
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I first visited Chillies on a backpacking trip through Central Americal in 2005. For years afterward I was telling my son about the trip and especially about my time diving at Native Son's. In 2010, I finally booked a trip down for the two of us. There are multiple direct flights to the island from the states now, so we didn't have to brave any CA bus routes or puddle jumpers from Belize (very important in convincing his mom that it would be a safe trip). Luckily it was the off-season, so when we showed up at Chillies without a reservation, they had one of the private cabins available for us. I think we landed at noon and by 2:00pm we were geared up and underwater (on the first confined water dive of his open water course). We did 2 dives every day, and afterward I relaxed with a beer while my son played around with the owners' kids who treated him like a long lost cousin. West End is definitely the most laid back town on the island...and Chillies is the most laid back place in the West End. The owners and the instructors are friendly and genuine. Also, one of the nicest aspects of staying at Chillies is that most of the people you're diving with are staying there as well. So, you really get to know some interesting people from all over the globe. I can't recommend this place highly enough. Although I was hesitant to give it such a good review b/c I almost want to keep it a secret. My son and I returned again this year and will likely do so many more times.

Room Tip: The cabins all get a nice breeze and come with a ceiling fan...nice and comfortable even in August.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I rented a cabin on my own so i had a level of luxury in terms of space denied those sharing. The cabin includes bedroom and bathroom which were both clean and comfortable ie cleaned daily. and large shaded balcony. the bathroom has a hot shower. The location is excellent ie 100 m from the beach and adjacent to cafes and shops. teh staff are friendly and available and I felt safe. It is good value at $30 per night even for one person

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank polly d
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was such a lovely, relaxed place to stay we would definitely recommend it! We stayed in a private cabana set in a lovely garden with a great verandah where we could chill out after diving. The cabanas are really cool because they get a really great breeze which helps when it's HOT outside :-)

Room Tip: Get a private cabana, they're totally worth the money!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NatalieBoxshall
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed July 29, 2011

What a great place to stay!!! fell in love with it....and Dora!!!!!! Thank you for the wonderful memories!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed just over 10 days in one of the cabins in the garden. The gardens can best described as an English rambling rose garden, without the roses but instead lush tropical plants - not too tidy but just enough to maintain order. The cabins although unobtrusive are ample with a veranda, hammock and surprisingly a very nice shower and bathroom area at the back. The atmosphere at chillies as its name suggests is very chilled out which complements its more eco-friendly credentials.

Attached to the premises is their dive school, Native Sons, which has a long standing reputation. I myself am a relatively experienced diver but my wife is not and normally not that comfortable. The dive instructors were excellent, experienced enough to know who needs greater supervision and who doesn’t.

I would seriously recommend the hotel to anyone who wants peaceful coexistence

Room Tip: Roatan has a lot of sand-flies, be prepared!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I stayed in Cabin #3. Well structured and ventilated with a build in toilet. It's not luxury styled but very good value for money. Situated in a lovely compound with a tropical setting, right on the main street of West End bay but at a corner so not so busy. Great diving with staff in Native Sons highly recommended they only send out Dive Instructors not DMs. The owners are wonderful, the staff helpful and spoken fluent English. If I'd ever go back to Roatan will definately stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 8 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Hotel Chillies? Share your experiences!