“comfortable quiet and clean”
Review of Mariposa Lodge

Mariposa Lodge
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in West End
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Stayed here for my first two nights in Roatan. Located just off the main road so really close to all the amenities but still quiet. Rooms were simple but comfortable in a small lodge containing 3 other rooms with a good kitchen and a bathroom with shower and toilet and another separate toilet. Kept very clean and tidy. Towels and sheets changed each day. Good stock of books with one for one exchange. Would recomment to other backpackers. $26 per night was a little expensive for me but this is a relatively expensive island compared to mainland Honduras and the room could have slept three people.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Mariposa Lodge

Reviewed February 5, 2010

Mariposa Lodge is cozy place located within minutes of everything you need to see in Roatan. The owners, Sue and Mike, are warm and friendly, also approachable and well informed about the island and everything it has to offer. Staying at Mariposa's was like having our own little apartment a short walk away from shopping, restaurants, bars and most importantly, the beach with it's numerous water activities, ie snorkeling, diving, kayaking, boating, fishing, etc... All other popular sites are easily accessible by taxi, water taxi or bus. Although, I say "little apartment" the room itself was nicer and more spacious than a 4 1/2 star resort I stayed at previously. I believe, had we stayed at a resort, we would have missed out on all the beauty, wildlife and culture that makes Roatan a place to fall in love with. I did rate "Sleep Quality" a 3 out of 5 due to the roosters that adamantly try to wake you at 3 am, though they are inescapable throughout the island. And in all fairness, Mike did try to capture and relocate the main offender :) All in all, it was an unbelievable trip and when I go back (not "if"), I will be staying at Mariposa's again. Thank you, Mike and Sue, so much for everything!

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank Steph78Montreal
Reviewed January 21, 2010

If you are looking for a simple but impeccably clean, functional place with the amenities of a small apartment this place is perfect. Having lunch on your private balcony after walking two minutes up the road from your morning dives was great. I'd especially recommend this to any traveler that is looking to stay somewhere for a little while and feel more at home than in a normal guesthouse room.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jarrod80BostonMA
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Short walk to west end, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, and hot water.

I recommend getting the apartment with its own kitchen and bathroom.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jp45682
Reviewed January 6, 2010

great wildlife, we saw lots of camelions, geckos and humming birds with out leaving the hammock!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank besant78
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I travelled with my sister. We really wanted to find a place where we could relax, feel like home while being able to enjoy a good meal that we could cook ourselves. I really enjoyed the fact that the lodge was not straight in the village yet so close that we could do our grocery before every meal. We had a nice burner a fridge and a large living area right outside our room where I spent hours reading and chatting with new friends.

Our host were the friendliest persons in the world yet would make sure to respect our personnal space. I was also happily surprised to see how they paid attention to every little details. In fact, movies, and games were made available to us, our room was cleaned daily and they even gave us interesting information on the life on the island and interesting places to visit.

In short, I would recommend this place to my dearest friends!

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank michele078
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I've been travelling in many places and that lodging is the best place I found so fare. The owners are REALLY nice, the location is perfect (in West End) and the rooms are confortables and beautifuls.

In our room we also had a kitchen and the cleaning lady came each day to clean the room (so it was clean).

I love that place and I recommand it to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Grand Roatan Caribbean Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#3 of 9 in West End

Been to Mariposa Lodge? Share your experiences!