“Couldn't ask for better.”

Native Sons Dive Shop
Ranked #5 of 36 Tours in West End
More attraction details
Owner description: Native Sons is the longest running dive shop in West End, under the same ownership. Set up in 1993, by local dive legend Alvin Jackson, Native Sons provides a 5 star service and has a spotless safety record. If you are looking for the best, most professional outfit, with the nicest boat in the Bay Islands, this is where you need to dive.
Delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Couldn't ask for better.”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Everyone working at Native Sons is great from the dive master to the boat capt. Eddie and Alex were both fun and really worked to make sure all the dives were a great experience. I had the best night dive I've ever done with them and look forward to diving with them again.

Visited February 2013

San Francisco, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Perfect paradise to get dive certification”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was scuba certified at Native Sons in August 2011 (trip adviser wouldn't go back further on the iPad when trying to select a date). A buddy of mine is a dive master and was very familiar with Roatan, so he, myself, and two other friends went down for a true adventure. I did my basic cert while another did his advanced cert.

This place was heaven on earth. The entire dive shop is run smoothly, efficiently, and couldn't have been more attentive to your needs. 100% focus on safety and a making sure you were loving ever minute.

The diving locations along Roatan are almost unmatched, and conducting the confined portions of the cert in the wide open Half Moon Bay with a tropical backdrop was breathtaking. Who needs a pool when you have that at your disposal.

The shop has the cert laid out so that you are conducting your first open water dives at the end of the first day, which made me instantly fall in love with scuba diving. By day 3, I felt completely confident in all of my skills, and my instructor Eddie was right there with me every step of the way.

The bungalows were a perfect end to the evening. Truly had the simple necessities that a man needs...shelter, a bed, water, a hammock, sea breezes to cool you while you sleep, and your own gecko in the shower. We spent as much time chilling in the hammock as we did diving.

Here is a typical day in west end. Wake up, eat some amazing local food, dive, grab a snack, dive, grab lunch, dive, walk across the dirt road to Sundowners beach bar and eat dinner, drink one or two of the infamous Monkey LaLa's, go back to your hammock, chill, and sleep. Day 2....repeat.

If you're lucky enough, do a night dive (which was one of the advanced portions I chose to take as my first step towards AOW) and you may get a chance to see the String of Pearls. It's a phenomenon that is only in a few select parts of the world, and the only description that gives it justice is that it was literally like swimming through The Matrix. No joke...it was absolutely surreal.

I would go back in a heartbeat. To all those at Native Son's, especially Eddie and Alex, thanks for one fantastic underwater adventure. Since this trip I have dove Cozumel, Maui, and Phuket, and nothing has come close. I'm diving Belize in a month and have high hopes that I'm reminded of Roatan.

Visited August 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“Advanced Open Water Certified!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have never dived before prior to travelling to Roatan.
Since we were on the island for a month, we ended up getting both open water and then advanced open water certified at Native Sons. We were so happy with the first course we didn't feel the need to go check out another place. The staff here were very flexible and accommodating to our schedule. We absolutely felt safe and supported during all of our dives. We had Eddie and Fiona as our instructors, who were both immensely patient...and fun! Wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend Native Sons.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Great Dive Centre and the best boat in West End”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We found Native Sons, run by Alvin through the Marine Park website as we wanted to be sure that we started diving with a company that is pro-active with looking after the reef. The added bonus was a beautifully made new boat to dive from that Alvin spent 4 years building.
Instruction by the team including Vincent, Fiona and Eddie was really thorough and my 13 year old son and I got our PADI certification on Christmas day! This was followed by the Christmas Dive where Eddie as Santa has you sit on his knee 30 ft down for that 'special santa picture'. Great fun but at all times we felt we were being looked after. The kit they give you is really good and you feel like part of one big family on the dives.
They planned the different dives carefully and we saw turtles feeding, octopus, morays and dolphins - and a lot of amazing coral and fish. We feel like we just got a passport to a whole new world.
Thanks a lot guys for making our time brilliant
James and Leon

Mississauga, Canada
“Great Dive Shop”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Second year in a row diving with Native Sons. This year I attained my Advanced Open Water level. Felt that I was in very good hands with the training I received. Great diving buddies always available with the likes of Dive Master Eddie and Instructor Fiona!