“Great location, good service, ok value”

Coconut Tree West Bay
Montreal, Canada
“Great location, good service, ok value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I took my diving courses (open water and advanced) with Coconut Tree Divers (see my review to this effect) in March 2008 and rent a cabin at that time.

Went back in February 2013 and rent again at Coconut Tree Cabins.

The positive:
- Great location if you are diving (1 minute walk to your room)
- Good porch with hammock to read a book or take a nap
- Good service from manager Rolando and Liana (when something is to be repaired, they come quick)
- Pick up from and to airport included (worth around 20-30$US)
- Tv with lots of channels
- Air con working fine

The not so good:
- Some cabins need a bit of renovation
- Mismatched furniture and kitchen accessories (when you rent with kitchen) might be more complete and clean
- Close to a busy road, but personally, I don't find that you hear much noise from it

Overall, for the price, service and closeness to the best dive center on the island, I would go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I will start by saying that the Coconut Tree Dive Shop is the BEST ON THE ISLAND USE THEM TO DIVE, but do not stay at these cabins. These cabins are HORRIBLE. I am a U.S. Navy Vet (retired) and I have traveled all over the world and been in some low rent districts. The cabins at Coconut Tree are terrible. Run down, not sure what they are doing with the money but is sure not spent on renovations. Bed was like sleeping on a picnic table (cement type), it squeaked every time you moved in the bed. The frig is a half frig and only keeps liquid semi-cold. The stove did not work. Hot water in the bathroom was intermittent at best. T.V. (cable) did not work half the time I was here (7) days. Wi-fi was hit and miss. Bathroom was a mold factory that looked like some university science lab project. I had to go to the local store, purchase bleach and clean the shower enclosure before I would even attempt to take a shower in it. Shower doors would not close all the way and so had water all over the bathroom floor after each shower. I was afraid to move on of the shower doors because the plastic in the frame was falling out of it. House keeping staff does not speak English and I had to do my best in Spanish to get the floor swept so is did not feel like I was walking on the beach when I got out of the shower. Dogs barked all night, the windows faces the street that is the main road into Half Moon Bay, traffic all day and most of the night, honk, honk, honk, honk. Then when you finally do get to sleep the chickens are on your porch clucking and crowing at 5:00 AM. I was ready to move after the first night but friends that I was with could not afford a move. So we stuck it out for the week. Just imagine the worst Motel 6 you have ever been in, then do not upkeep for 10 years move it to Roatan and you have Coconut Tree Cabins.

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all costs. Pay the extra $20 a night for a much nicer place to stay. After gett...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike P

Travelers are raving about these West End hotels

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 6 days. We stayed in Cabin # 11 on their website. The cabin was a studio style arrangement with a fridge, sink and stove. Our room was clean, air conditioned and very affordable. I would stay here again if I returned to Roatan.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

i walked into coconut tree without a reservation and got a room. rolando was wonderful.
my cabana was neat, the a/c, tv and fridge worked well, and there was very little noise.

i ended up staying there for 3 weeks and loved it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank m3lissab33
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am a handicapped individual who spent 5 weeks in Central America and
the staff here was the worst I came across. The room was semi neglected
and I had to ask for towels. The bathroom needed a few things fixing and the shower door was broken and did not open. The stairs to the rooms behind the office were too high and no handrail. But the worst thing about the place was the bartender that said my handicapped walking aid was a fake and I wanted attention ! I think he was drunk and his father (Mr. Bush)
was a wind-bag also. I moved out and checked into the "Seabreeze Inn" a short ways away and had a wonderful stay there !! ( and a MUCH better value). Anyone that makes fun of the handicapped is the lowest scum bag
form of life. AVOID the Coconut Tree in West End Roatan !! I later found
out that the owners of this place are not well liked by the locals.

Room Tip: For a good room go somewhere else ! Roatan is filled with good people and better places.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ricardo H
Visalia, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

I checked in and immediately was let into my CUTE little cabin. The AC was turned on for me ahead of time ( I did not know I was even going to have AC) and it was pretty cool. By evening I was adjusting it cause the AC works a little too well and I was freezing! But, better working too well than not at all. I did not see one bug at all in my room, BUT... one of the first things I did after getting my room was go to Coconut's Tree and buy "Raid" and spray. And I sprayed every single afternoon (JUST IN CASE). I even sprayed my hammock so when I wanted to lay in it there would be no problems. Seriously, there was TONS of construction but I am the type to wake up with the sun and go to bed when the sun goes down (or shortly after). The construction did not bother me. I will say though, it is loud. It would probably bug a lot of people. It is right where the cabins are. The groundskeeper coming at 6AM raking the compact dirt and the cobblestone sidewalk to pick up the fallen coconut leaves from the previous night bugged me more and more. That sound over and over and over. OH MY GOD! It sounded like a horse chewing oats OR someone chomping a carrot... VERY ANNOYING.
Okay, Rolando ( I hope I am spelling that right) checked me in and out a week later)... what a sexy man! :-) And a very polite man!
Vincent- the son of the owner running the restaurant upstairs is also SO polite and easy going and laid back. Just very enjoyable! I went out and tried other bars, as other bars were more happening but this was more laid back and just relaxed. Coconut really always was my first and last stop of each day I was there. And one day I sat up there (the restaurant and bar is above the store) for about 3 hours just reading. Honestly, the bar and restaurant are not very popular and it is my understanding they are just opening. Having a grand opening in about a month? But the view? Other than Sundowners, the best in West End. You CANNOT beat it!
If or WHEN I return I will stay here again. There is no question about it. I am a pretty picky person, but I already knew what to expect of the condition of water, etc in West End and my expectations were met and then some. I did get hot water in my cabin. Not a lot of water pressure but water and hot? YES!
Oh... I have to add this. I did not get her name even and I feel horrible, but... the housekeeper lady... What a sweetheart. Every day I had her do a load of clothes and she charged me $3.00 so I just gave her $5.00 and she was so fast about it. I came home with just my pajamas dirty. She was SO NICE. I always made sure I left her a little something in my room each day.

Room Tip: Cabin 2. Across from Store and Bar/Restaurant.... Cabin straight inside gate. No turns. Best C...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Morgantown, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

We selected the Coconut Tree West End for a Christmas vacation thinking it was in one of the better locations to activities and restaurant. The location is fine, but the cottage is absolutely horrible. The cottage is shoddy and in terrible condition, beds are like rocks, bathroom is deplorable, no place to really relax with no comfortable chairs inside or outside. Air conditioning was broken (they did eventually fix it), then the next morning the gas tank on the stove leaked (still working on that one), messed up our arrival time so had to get our own taxi. It is definitely a vacation to remember, unfortunately not very pleasant memories.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#3 of 7 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Coconut Tree West Bay? Share your experiences!