“Great Diving”
Review of Tyll's Dive

Tyll's Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: At Tyll's Dive we dive in small groups focusing on personal attention and safety. We plan the dives for the day based on your preferences. Choose to dive on the wreck, explore the canyons, drift along the point or simply enjoy the diversity of Roatan's aquatic life. Coming in on a cruise ship and worried about time? No need to, the reef is only a few minutes away by boat. If some in your group are not divers but avid snorkelers, they are welcome on our boat. If you require accommodations while diving with us, we will make every effort to help you find a place that will meet your budget and needs, For you free spirited travelers you can just show up, drop your bags at the Dive Shop and find your own accommodations. Check with Dorte for availability for your next Roatan getaway. Help us support the Roatan Marinpark and protect the reef.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Ruidoso, New Mexico
“Great Diving”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed for 11 days and dove with Tylls 7 times. When they say small groups they are not kidding. There were never more than six of us including the dive master, Mel. We watched dive boats from other shops loaded with a dozen or more people head out of the bay. Mel was great to dive with because my sister in-law was unsure of herself at first and Mel was adept at making her comfortable. Saw some incredible things including the largest stingray I've ever seen. Management was relaxed and easy going about scheduling dives. I feel like we made some nice friends while we were there.

Visited August 2013
Tyllsdive, Manager at Tyll's Dive, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
It was very nice to meet you and we were glad you liked the flexible schedule requested from our other divers.
But the most important is you all enjoyed the diving. Mel is great. You should have a link to the photos now.
Thank you for the review and the support you gave to me. We would be happy to see you back here.

San Diego, California
“Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had an amazing time diving with Tyll's! I got my PADI open water certification at Tyll's. I discovered this company on Tripadvisor and decided to dive with them based on their great reviews. I emailed the owner, Dorte with some questions before I chose this dive shop and she promptly responded. She answered all of my questions and was able to tailor the program to my tight schedule. I had only 3 days to complete the open water training so she met me the night I arrived in Roatan to give me the guide book so that I can get ahead and finish on time. The owners (Dorte and her husband, Uwe) and the dive instructor (Melanie) stayed late until 6:30pm for me on my last day as I was finishing my final exam. They were happy to accommodate my inconveniently tight schedule.

As for the diving experience, I have nothing but good things to say about Melanie, their main dive instructor. She was incredibly patient with me and helped me through each step of the process. She many years of experience under her belt so she had several great suggestions for me. She also offered a great deal of support in teaching me how to care for and set up the equipment along with the transportation of it. We went to many great dive spots and saw a lot of incredible marine life.

The shop has quite the character with their 3 adopted cats and orphaned pigeon. Sam, the captain of their boat was hilarious as well, he definitely added to the experience with his fine musical capabilities. He was a great help with carrying the equipment and he was constantly reminding me of things on the dive. Tyll's dive is a great business, and I recommend them to anyone looking to get their PADI open water certification or do any other diving, as they offer many courses and fun dives as well.

Visited July 2013
Tyllsdive, Manager at Tyll's Dive, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad that we could work out a schedule for your Open Water Course that could match your very limited stay on Roatan. But it worked out well. Now you have got the entry level and can dive anywhere. Of course we would love to see you back here for more diving.
For our shop pets, we just found out the adopted cat Friday, is not 8-9 years old, but rather 15+ years.
indianapolis
“Great place to schedule a dive in Roatan!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were looking for a place to take a dive trip at Roatan and stopped in a little place in the West End called Tyll's Dive. We had no prior arrangements anywhere, so it was just happenstance. My son and I are both PADI certified. It was a a slow time during the week, so we got a nice discount from Dorte. We ended up doing six dives with Mel as our divemaster. After a safety briefing and dive briefing, we walked across the street to the boat. Our boat master was a character and very much entertained us! They loaded the tanks and BCDs and we loaded up everything else. If you are used to being catered hand and foot, this may not be the best dive for you, although they were very helpful and accomodating. Very laid back and relaxed, although all dive regulations and rules were strictly followed. I was having problems with my mask and Mel was very helpful with some ideas to solve the problem. She had a camera and took some great pictures of us. We saw five turtles, I think. Several lobsters, a huge Grouper, lots and lots of fish, two rays. The water is STUNNING! Mel was helpful in naming the fish- she had a write on board and would write the names of the fish. On six dives my son and I and one other person were on the dive, so a maximum of three. Personal service was abundant!! Mel helped us fill out the dive logs at the end of the dive. I will definately go back the next time I am in Roatan, and I do plan to return soon.

Visited July 2013
Tyllsdive, Manager at Tyll's Dive, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you so much for finding time to write the review. It means a lot to us. We know we are not the fanciest dive shop here but we do our best to to make our divers have a great time.
Yes, you and your son picked a perfect week to come here when it was slow.. We enjoyed the time between and after the dives exchanging stories. Hope to see you here for the next Mango season if not sooner.
Jackson, Mississippi
“Friendly, competent and laid back”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My brother and I completed our PADI Advanced Open Water course with Tyll's. Everyone on staff was friendly, competent and laid back. Having fun while still staying safe are obviously very important for them. Both elements came through in a number of circumstances around scheduling, dive planning and managing equipment. Thanks for a wonderful experience!

Visited May 2013
Tyllsdive, Manager at Tyll's Dive, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you. Keep diving, whenever possible. We would love to see you back to explore more sites then what your travel/family time would allow you to do.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had a great time with our small group of 7. We wanted a dive shop that could handle all of our wants,half of us being snorkelers and other half divers. Tyll's did just that. We had professional guides very helpful and friendly. Also the transition from the cruise to the dive shop was flawless and very easy. I would recommend this shop and WILL return for more dives!

Visited April 2013
Tyllsdive, Manager at Tyll's Dive, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
It was a great day and everything worked out well for the divers and the snorkelers. Hope to see you all next spring. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
You know you can post pics here on Tripadvisor to share with others.