“Amazing place to stay in Roatan”
Review of Casa del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West End
Casa del Sol
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in Roatan for around 10 days in October, and it was fantastic. A big part of that was the accommodations. Mark, the canadian manager, was a huge help and very accommodating. He let us borrow things, pointed out great places to eat and drink, and was overall a really great host. Our room had a private patio, which we used all the time. The property has a couple of pet dogs who were really great. And our room had a fridge and stove and sink, which was great for whipping up a snack or meal when we didn't want to go out. And we didn't opt for a room with A/C, but the overhead fan worked just fine. Thank you Casa del Sol for a fantastic trip!

Room Tip: Bottom rooms have a patio, top rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Josh W
There are newer reviews for Casa del Sol

Reviewed October 25, 2013

First of all, if youn are in any way scared (or even mildy nervous) of dogs, then this is definitely not the place for you. They have 3 MAD dogs who bark all night long, and everytime someone walks by, or comes home. They not only growl, but they come running towards you, looking like they are ready to pounce. Quite a horrid welcome home when you come back to your room at night.

The room itself was decently decorated, good size and a passable kitchen with a fridge. Balcony with a hamock, although being at the back of the property facing the garden, you really could not sit out there certain times of the day, due to mosquitos trying to eat you alive.
I had the more expensive room, and did not see the normal room. One HUGE complaint I have was that in addition to the dogs barking outside my room all night, the walls between the rooms are extremely thin. Unfortunately, I had a North American couple next door, whose conversation I had the pleasure of hearing and who seemed to watch DVDs all day long. (at least when I was there) It was as if we were in the same room. I also had a family staying upstairs, with children jumping, running from the early hours,and could hear them constantly moving (dragging furniture).

I was there during Semana Santa (Easter week), which apparently is the busiest time of the year. Perhaps the dogs are calmer at other times of the year. Perhaps you get quieter neighbours (guests) after Easter. May be I was unlucky. After staying there for a week (as I had pre-paid), I moved to Posada Arco Iris, right on the beach (review on this later), which was cheaper, nicer and better located, with a seaview balcony.

If you do decide tostay at Casa del Sol, do not take them up on the offer of an airport pick up (USD 20). When you arrive at Roatan airport, just walk outside of the airport carpark (it is not very big), and the main road is right there. A taxi will come by in about 2 seconds. (there is definitely a surplus of taxis in Roatan). Depending on your negotiation skills, a taxi to the West End should not cost you more than about USD 5 - I did one trip which cost me about USD3.50. "Private" is always more expensive than a "Colectivo" (shared - with passengers going roughly the same way).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MaakT
casa-roatan, General Manager at Casa del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

We are very sorry that your stay with us at Casa del Sol was so unpleasant during Easter in March 2012.
Unfortunately at the time the manger in place was doing a very poor job of looking after hotel as well as the dogs. It came to our attention that the dogs were being left out at night and were barking and disturbing the guests as a result.
The dogs are on the property for security purposes but they are also pets and they need to be looked after properly. We are really sorry you felt so threatened by them - they are not mean dogs but based on the situation created as they were being mistreated it appears they became nervous about the property as people were coming in and out of the gate during the evening.

This manager was removed from his position in the middle of May and we had an intern manager in until October, 2013. We now have a new manager running the property and things are being run properly; the dogs are being cared for with love and our guests are happy and enjoying their stays with us.

Our main goal is to ensure that our guests have a great experience staying at Casa del Sol.
When issues arise we really do try to address them as fast as possible - once we were aware of the situation we searched for a replacement and have made major changes since the time of your stay during Easter (March/April) 2013. Again we are very sorry as unfortunately this was too late to change your experience but we are working to ensure our future guest have only positive experiences during their time with us.
Furthermore, to address a security concern we have added additional security bars to the hotel room windows and put in a surveillance camera system to help create a very comfortable & enjoyable environment for our guests while they stay with us.

We now have a fantastic new manager running the show. Mark has great energy and lots of very fun & forward thinking ideas about how to ensure Casa del Sol is a great place to stay during one’s vacation on Roatan.
The General Management of Casa del Sol

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Ive been staying at Casa del Sol for approximately 1 month and I really enjoy it. The price is right and the rooms are equipped with everything I need, fresh towels, clean sheets, hot water,mini fridge, propane mini stove, wifi, friendly staff. It is a 2 minute walk from everything in west end. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Roatan especially if you are on a budget!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank mark f
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A great place to stay apart from one major problem: security. My apartment was broken into while I was in the bedroom asleep. They entered through the second floor balcony window and stole a significant amount of cash. The owner apologised but did not offer any compensation or discount. She has told me that they are 'seriously working at how to address this issue' and 'are in the process of researching and purchasing a set of surveillance cameras'. If this actually happens, it is a nice place to stay and very close to West End, but at this time I cannot recommend because of security concerns.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank katyohdear
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I spent a week there, April 2013. The place was clean, calm. I had a fan in the room and it was enough, didnt need an AC. There was a little fridge in the room which was useful. Casa del sol is 2 mins walk from restaurents and the Coconut Dive Shop.
Dogs barking wasn't an issue.
Travelled solo

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank salsa79
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks Dec 2012 - Jan 2013, the rooms were very clean and bright, plenty of hot water, comfortable beds and a reasonably equipped kitchen. It is a short walk form the beach and has the advantage of being far enough away from any noisy bars thus it's very quiet at night.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank EannaMacCraith
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This wonderful hotel is just one block off the main drag in the West End. If you're like me, you play hard (especially diving) all day, and want a quiet place to relax and (especially) sleep. Sarah is the beautiful proprietess, with a cool cat and dogs, and her Mgr. EJ is both friendly and helpful. Together they provide clean rooms with a large garden to enjoy. Cool people from all over the planet seem to be attracted to Casa del Sol (Vancouver, Japan, and Spain while us Yankees were there). Highly recommend you check it out, altho the only negative is very weak WiFi, and is mostly about the island's poor infrastructure.

Room Tip: Sarah and EJ seem very trustworthy to me, so I suggest that anyone just asks for help.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Splash Inn Dive Resort
Splash Inn Dive Resort
#2 of 9 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Casa del Sol? Share your experiences!