Tripadvisor
Sandy Bay
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews sunken fish king crab yoga studio west end dive center hummingbird room eagle ray carambola gardens laid back blue bahia great diving small resort anthony's key family vacation every meal the entire staff ceviche
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had a fantastic time, I work in a 5star hotel and I know what great service looks like. The entire staff (esp.Vanessa, Oddesey, Hector and Brian) were fantastic. I also highly recommend Alex to bring you to and from anywhere on the island you wish to go. He is prompt and honest.

Date of stay: January 2020
Pavel S, Vlastník at Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Thomas,

We are glad that you had a great time at Tranquilseas, and thank you very much for the review.
We are all working hard to offer the best service and make the stay of our guests unique. We always appreciate the feedback very much from our guests, and we are happy to hear that our team is doing a great job.

Thank you again for your stay, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Everything you need for a diving vacation on one site. Only 7 rooms and the opportunity to meet and interact with fellow divers daily. Dive boat lauches directly in front of the resort from their private dock. Dive sites just minutes away.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Pavel S, Vlastník at Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guy,

Thank you again for your stay, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 6, 2020

We stayed for 10 days, through Christmas and New Year, and had a wonderful time in an excellent room. The breakfasts were very good, and we also ate many more meals at the Sunken Fish restaurant, which were also very good. Portion sizes were surprisingly large, and we were often able to share a meal for lunch. The exceptions to this were the tomato soup, which was tiny and the chick pea curry which was about half the size of the vegetable curry. The cocktails and fruit smoothies are delicious. We don't eat meat, so often modified the dishes on the menu to suit our needs, and the staff were very happy to help. We had no problems at all, but it would be better of they listed all the ingredients in each dish (so we could avoid the sausage that appeared with my breakfast but hadn't been mentioned in the description).
We were in the King Crab room, which had a great view over the top of the pool and out to sea. The bed was huge and very comfortable, the fans and air-con worked well although we didn't need them very often. The bathroom and shower are great, and there's a lovely tub in the corner of the room.
It would be nice to have a small fridge in the room, as the small compartment in the bottom of the water cooler was too small to be much use. I heard later that it is possible to request this, but it was too late by the time we found out about it.
I enjoyed swimming out to the reef from the end of the jetty. It isn't far and the reef is wonderful. It is alive with lots of fish and coral. It is also possible to find gaps through the reef to get to the other side where there are larger fish and more action. However, be careful not to get lost as it can be difficult to find your way back through the reef again. We went out with the diving boat one day and they took us on a snorkeling tour while the divers were off doing their thing. This was the best day of our vacation, and we saw lots of interesting things, including a turtle and an Eagle Ray.
There is live music in the restaurant a couple of times a week, which can be heard clearly from inside the room. It didn't bother us and stopped at a reasonable time (about 10:00 pm) but this might be a problem for some people. When sitting on our balcony, the music from the restaurant sound system could be heard all day, which was a bit annoying.
Special mentions for Vanessa, Brayun and Nerissa among the waiting staff. They were all very helpful to us.
The hotel pool is quite small and in the shade most of the day. The diving team do their scuba training in the pool, so it is sometimes quite busy. We didn't use it during our stay. If you expect to sunbathe by the pool, you'll be disappointed. The ocean is very warm and the jetty is great for sunbathing.
We also enjoyed a very good massage, provided by Tanya (Tatiana), on the rooftop terrace of the hotel. She comes to the hotel a couple of times each week and reservations are needed.
Taxis are available easily from the main street, for about $5.00 (for two people) to Coxen Hole (for Eldon's Supermarket) or to West End. However, Taxis are "communal" so don't be surprised if they let others get in with you along the way. It is safe, so don't worry and enjoy a conversation with local people. They will try to ask for more, so be prepared to haggle and don't overpay. Another taxi will be along very soon if they don't agree to your price. If you want the taxi to yourself, be prepared to pay more for the privilege.
The hotel manager met us at the airport and took us back again at the end of our stay. This is worth requesting when you make your reservation.

Room tip: King Crab is the best room. All rooms have ocean views.
Date of stay: December 2019
Pavel S, Vlastník at Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

Dear Wilson,

We are glad that you had a great time at Tranquilseas and thank you very much for the review.
We are all working hard in order to offer the best service and make the stay of our guests special. We always appreciate very much the feedback from our guests and we are happy to hear that our team is doing a great job.

Thank you again for your stay and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 26, 2019

Quiet and peaceful, hotel is well maintained, food is delicious and staff are nice. Dive center downstairs is a must, Amanda and her husband are so friendly. Stayed a week last July with my 2 sons (13 and 9 years old) and my mother. We had a wonderful stay.

Date of stay: July 2019
1  Thank Beatrice764
Pavel S, Vlastník at Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2019

Dear Beatrice,

Thank you again for your stay and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2019

If you like living above a restaurant with the same songs playing on repeat for 12+ hours a day, this is the place for you.  TranquilSeas is a restaurant first and an ecolodge second, so if you're lodging here, be prepared to be treated as an afterthought.  But first, you should know it's not even a real ecolodge!

A real ecolodge would never scare away wildlife with constant music blaring, nor would it need to bait wildlife to come back - which is exactly what happens here.  It was so sad to see hummingbirds fighting to the death over the feeders left out for them - they're notoriously territorial, and the introduction of an artificial food source makes them especially so.  They also baited nectar bats, which doesn't do enough to help with the mosquito problem - so they fumigate for that once a week.  I know this because they neglected to tell me about it, so I was trying to nap in when it happened and breathed in all the nastiness.  I'd thought I was uncharacteristically motion sick while on land that day (note, I've never been motion sick), but no, it was from the fumes.  The employees that daily interact with their guests were concerned, but upper management couldn't care less - you'll see a theme here.  But back to it not being an ecolodge - they'll recommend excursions to places NOT in keeping with an eco-ethic, their cleaning supplies are full of chemicals (I know because housekeeping forgot them in my room on occasion), and nothing from the toilet paper to the tea to the towels is organic, sustainable, natural, local... not the least bit eco-friendly.  Even the soap, which says "organic" in large font, isn't organic when you read the label full of chemicals (I could read the label because one of the soap dispensers was broken on my arrival; it was never fixed over the two weeks I was there.) . I can list more examples, but moving on.

Expect to be treated as an afterthought.  I wanted two things from this trip.  One was tranquility, the other was to be able to leave the internet behind and unplug.  I even came in the rainy season so it'd be more tranquil.  Although I was the only guest for most of my stay, tranquility is too much to ask of TranquilSeas.

To start with the music...if I never hear "Don't worry about a thing" or "One Love", or a bad Adele cover song ever again, it'll be too soon.It doesn't matter if you leave the restaurant, walk to the end of the pier, hide in your room with the fan on, or go anywhere else in the hotel, they have speakers everywhere to ensure you can never escape the music.  Management will say they'll stop playing it from the speaker nearest your room, or will turn down the volume, or stop it entirely from playing at 7am, or procure you earplugs, or have you move to a room where there's no music, any of which would be terrific solutions, but they won't actually follow through on any of them, so save yourself the effort of complaining.  I did ask the waitstaff to turn the music down, or off, sometimes, when I was the only person there, and those were blessed moments of respite, until a manager would have the volume cranked back up again.  Even with my head under the shower, it was unescapable.  I would have left for a better hotel, but they have you pay upfront here, so I didn't have the budget for a move.  Spa Baan Suerte is only a short walk away graciously allowed me to sit by their pool in peace when I thought I'd go crazy at TranquilSeas, so that was my solution.

Examples of how you'll be treated:
1.) I'd paid to have the hotel meet me at the airport with a sign with my name.  I got off the plane and no one was there.
2.) They say they'll book excursions for you, but they won't bother.  After 5 days of waiting, I went online and booked my own.
3.) They'll add unlisted ingredients to meals at the restaurant.  It's a small thing, but small things add up, and I didn't enjoy having a surprise hot dog added to the vegetarian breakfast I'd ordered.
4.) They booked a wedding.  The restaurant doubles as an event venue.  It was crazy loud late into the night.  They should really warn people of this when they book.  They had me switch rooms that night, but it didn't help with the noise.
5.) They fumigated the premises and evacuated the staff for it, but didn't tell me and left me behind.
6.) They sold me a half-full "tester" bottle of bug spray as if it was new and full.
7.) They overbooked the restaurant (every table marked "reserved" or occupied) but since I'd already paid upfront for room and board together, I'm wasn't going to go pay for dinner elsewhere.  They served me on a footstool on my porch - I don't need a table!
8.) They gave me bad info on local attractions, like the submarine and the botanical gardens.  Google is a better guide!  No info would be better than bad info.
9.) There's a friendly cat on-site.  I told the management that I was allergic, to explain why I kept switching tables for breakfast as it followed me around.  Management did nothing and I had hives on my feet and ankles from when it decided to attack my sandals, while I was still wearing them!  It also sits atop the tables and licks itself.  (Note: there will be cats and dogs wandering about, so don't leave your shoes to dry on your porch unattended!)
10.) Construction at the hotel starts at 7am and it's noisy.  Included plumbing work, which explained why my shower wouldn't work (no water pressure) for two days.
11.) Expect to be up early - phone alarms start going off around 5:30am, and conversations start outside the rooms by 6am.  As I was the only guest for part of the time, and there was no one else on-site to be making noise besides staff, I'd expect this to be a constant.  I also had dogs barking at nothing on my porch at 3am until I'd get up and shush them.
12.) Despite signs, diners smoked cigarettes right outside my door, and staff didn't move to stop them, so I had to be confined inside to breathe cleanly.
13.) One of the managers suggested offering me a refund upon hearing the noise complaints, and said she'd follow up with me about it.  Surprise: she never did.  I paid full price for this experience.

I'll stop at these examples.  I easily have a dozen more, and some of them are smaller things, but small things really do add up.  My stay was in Hummingbird room from 5 Oct. - 19 Oct.  I offered to give this feedback directly to the hotel while I was there, but management never responded to my offer, and as the hotel has just emailed me asking that I leave feedback on TripAdvisor, I'm posting it here instead.  Note that this is not a review of the attached dive shop, but just of TranquilSeas Ecolodge.  And I keep a travel journal, so I have dates and times and names, and further details, for everything listed in this review.

My best advice?  Obviously, don't book here.

Date of stay: October 2019
2  Thank EiffelBlue
TranquilseasRoatan, Vlastník at Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2019

Dear EiffelBlue,

Thank you for your feedback, even though it is not favorable for our hotel. As a hotel owner, I care about every guest and every review, whether positive or negative.

I’ve carefully reviewed your rating. In some areas, I will take action; in some cases, unfortunately, it is in the best interest of most guests to leave it as it is now. As you can see, the majority of our guests rate our hotel very positively, we have more than 600 reviews, 536 guests gave us the highest score, and vice versa, only four guests, gave us the lowest.

As you know, each of us is a unique personality, has different habits and character. To reach an agreement, we must all respect each other and live in harmony.

I’m very sorry for the misunderstanding and serving you non-vegetarian breakfast. Our kitchen staff and I apologize. We try to know our guests' eating habits and prepare food accordingly. Likewise, yesterday, I took measures to ban smoking. From yesterday, we declared the terrace non-smoking area. Smoking zones are newly located in the car park outside the hotel room area. Thank you very much for this suggestive comment. I believe this will maximize the comfort of guests.

Thank you again for your evaluation, and I wish you the best.