“Very special place”

Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 17, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a wonderful week at TranquilSeas. The place is idyllic: boutique-built, lots of wood and greenery, and lots of comfortable communal spaces for just a handful of cabanas. The hosts, Chris and Monica, make the place even more special.

We stayed in Hummingbird, which has a breath-taking view of the ocean. The room was simple and comfortable: comfy bed, ceiling fan, AC (which we did not use), screened windows, hot and plentiful shower. The kitchenette is minimal (a fridge, a toaster and a coffee maker) but was fine to fix ourselves breakfast and a lunch salad to enjoy on the cabana's terrace. For dinner, Monica's cooking at TranquilSeas is not to be missed (paella and shrimp curry were scrumptious!). West End (a 5 min cab ride away) has plenty good options too.

Chris and Monica know the area well and their tips and recommendations were spot on. We were a bit nervous about running into the cruise ship madness in Roatan but Sandy Bay is out of the way. Chris produced a schedule of ship arrivals, and advised to stay away from West Bay on those days, which was not a problem and all it took to avoid the crowds. From TranquilSeas' own pier, you can swim out to the reef for great snorkeling, and Octopus Divers next door was so handy for diving (Thanks, Kent!!). On top of that, Chris arranged other diving trips for us at the drop of a hat.

We will go back to Roatan, to TranquilSeas, and recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center

Reviewed January 15, 2010

My name is Erica and I went down to Roatan with my boyfriend Greg for 2 weeks. During that time we stayed with Chris and Monica at Tranquil Seas. I am one of those picky travelers, who wants something a little unique, classy, quiet, fun, social, good diving, good food, etc. etc. and this place hits the spot in every way imaginable. Chris built the place and the wood work is amazing, everything is made from mainland (Honduras) and with incredible detail. The natual feel, of the resort, towering tropical plants, vibrant flowers and being right on the ocean really makes it feel like you are on an island all to your self. Chris did a great job of making the cabanas private and with a great view you can enjoy from your own provate deck. The bar is a fun place to hang out and the crowd that comes is fun and lively. There are lots of board games, great wine, beer and of course Monica's amazing meals to enjoy. Right off the dock you have an aquarium of sea life, or if you prefer to just relax on the hammock and read, that's always an option too. We spent Christmas there and Chris and Monica made us feel so at home.They brought out some great Champagne, we did some skits, they gave us all gifts and we laughed until we drifted off to sleep. A perfect night.

During our time we traveled around the island and saw a lot of other places in passing. We always found ourselves wanting to go back to Tranquil Seas. Chris's sense of humor and Monica's company is just the best. I could keep going, but then I wouldn't want to spoil it all for you. If you can get a room, do it. Of all the places I have traveled and stayed overseas, this is by far the best run, most hospitable and just amazing in every way.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank la_pececita
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Hey. I live in Honduras. And there's nothing I like better than forgetting about the rest of Honduras when I go on a trip. We latched onto the tranquil seas after a recommendation from a friend back in September. We went first with friends, and then with FUSSY FATHER AND STEPMOTHER. And well, even though it rained (hard for three days) we enjoyed it. We had (almost) the run of the place. No, we didn't see Chris or Monica 24/7 but we didn't need them. They were a responsive phone call away.
My favourite parts? The pool, small, but lovely. Great for kids.
The privacy. Again, if you have kids, your kids can run all over and you don't have to worry about them. (except around the pool I guess).
The honor bar. Nothing like a well deserved beer in the morning.
Rooms: For me this place had my minimum. Air con. Fans, fridge, internet, hammock, coffee pot. That's pretty much covers the necessities doesn't it?

Chris set up a video and tv (after the 3rd day of rain) for the kids. I love the set up of the bar. Monica did a kids menu. All good.

Nice swimming around the dock. Lunch just a step away down the beach. Very gourmet dinners prepared by Monica (I know what's available and what's not in Honduras). it was yummy.

I also recommend the Indian restaurant. ooloontoo or some such thing. Excellent indian food. I mean excellent and subtle.

Recommendations: Maybe a local cell phone for your guest to contact the owners/managers? A list of reliable taxi drivers to call for lifts to other restaurants etc. More sheet/towel changes on rainy days.

As for the political situation. Tranquillo. Everything is sorted out. And nothing to worry about on Roatan.

saludos,

Lorna

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2009

This is a small cabana complex offering excellent service and bespoke scuba diving. The rooms were clean and well maintained with fridge, aircon & ability to make a hot drink.
The food was excelent, usually cooked by Monica who is from Spian so lovely Tapas & Paella & the local beef is very tender & highly recommended.
The swimming pool is big enough to swim in & deep enough to train those new to scuba diving.
For the experienced Scuba Divers Christopher personally organisers all day off-shore expeditions to remote Islands. This can be combined with a complete tour around Roatan by sea. There is stunning views both above & below water. Some of the most prestine coral in the world on the second biggest barrier reef - and in my opinionbetter than the Northern Barrier reef in Australia. There is also an abundance of fish life and apparently at the right time of the year lots of sharks. We saw sharks on a few dives but not as many as I expected.
If you are a diver or someone just wanting to chill out and do some water sports away a beautiful place to be with attentive service.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Well where do I start! the service I has I could not fault, The food was great and also a good selection of different types as well, and always cooked to perfection. My room was at the top of the complex over looking the sea; and a FANTASTIC view at that, I was impressed by the way how clean and tidy everything was kept. As for the location the overall site was very user friendly and the space was put to good use, it would be a bit difficult for the disabled. The West End is only a short taxi ride away, if you need a bit more excitement or entertainment, mind you the island was a bit quite at the moment, but that suits me fine. You can get most things there, If you fancy a trip in to Coxen Hole you will have even more things to choose from; I think this is not perhaps, a place if you have a young family. The whole EXPERIENCE I had was FANTASTIC, I really went for the diving; and the dive sites, that Chris and Paul took me too (WELL WERE ABSOLUTELY BREATH TAKING) such a verity of marine life and in very good health along with the coral. I could go on but what I will say is thanks very much to such great hosts, Chris, Monica, and Paul.

P.S Say thanks to Kent for me at Octopus.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2009

My huisband and I did alot of research on the accomidations on Roatan and were so thankful we chose "Tranquilseas". Monica is an absolute breath of fresh air. She greeted us at the airport, took us to buy a few staples and we were off to a much needed holiday. Our cabana, Hummingbird was perfect. Every morning my husband and I took our coffee down to the hammocks on the end of dock. Some mornings we were lucky enough to see some of the local children( who are very polite) fishing. Their little giggles were priceless. We then would eat a lovely breakfast prepared by Monica. Following that we would get in a little skiff w/ our snorkeling gear and hit the bay. We saw some of the best sealife right off the dock. We enjoyed sight seeing the island and eating at The "Hole in the wall "for just good food and a fabulous boat ride. "ooloonthoo "for the absolute best Indian cuisine I have ever had. We enjoyed ziplining, but Tranquilseas was our "Home" for the week. It was slow, but we could not have recieved better service. Chris and Monica and the( bartender that his name is escaping my mind)were the most gracious hostesses. Money very well spent!!! We are saving now to take our girls(13 & 16) back. Hope to see you all soon! Thank You !!!Leslie and Pete

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We stayed in Tranquilseas for two weeks and, having relied on the tripadvisor reviews were genuinely disappointed with our stay. The place, indeed, has a lot of potential but we felt that (even though we were the only guests at the time) the management were only superficially interested in looking after their guests.

On the second day of our stay we were greeted with signs of "Tranquilseas is closed" and a chain-locked gate when we returned from diving. Fortunately, as we found out later, it was only the restaurant/bar that was closed but it would have been helpful to be told this prior to shutting the place down. To give credit to them - Monica did cook us a few nice meals with prior notification but we caught a cab to West End most evenings.

The cabanas are comfortable but certainly not luxurious. The shower was never hot, the roof leaked when the wind blew in a certain direction and every time we tried to switch on a light we were rewarded with a little electric shock. We stayed in the Hummingbird.

The pool area is lovely although it did not get cleaned after the rain and it had a lot of leaves and other dirt in it. The bar area is also nicely designed and could be a fun place to hang out if it was staffed/open.

If you want to go on a week's diving holiday, the location is perfect but if you want to go diving and sample a few different restaurants and meet other people, this is not for you. We changed hotels and stayed in a different hotel nearer to West End for our last 10 days.

For the benefit of doubt, Roatan was pretty dead at the time but we do not feel that this justifies the lack of service which we experienced in Tranquilseas.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Cocolobo
#3 of 9 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center? Share your experiences!