“Multigeneraltional Vacation in Paradise”

Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mancos, Colorado
“Multigeneraltional Vacation in Paradise”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I took my family to Roatan this Spring as a treat for all of us: two seventyish grandparents, two young parents, and two grandchildren. Everything about our experience at Tranquil Seas was superb. The lodge itself was beautifully done, and intimate; the location on a quiet beach (for Roatan) just right; and the diving and snorkeling the best ever. Chris and Monica took good care of us, and Edwin and Henry made sure my son-in-law and 12 year old granddaughter had safe and exciting dive experiences (they both received heir dive certifications and went on a night dive). As for snorkeling, our trip with Chris to Pigeon Key where we encountered a giant Eagle Ray and Nurse Shark was an experience of a lifetime. If you can go to Roatan, I would think there could be no more friendly, safe, and beautiful place for your ocean experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in King Crab and Gecko, the new rooms Chris has just added to his little ecolodge. Both...
2 Thank Nancy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife and I visited Roatan and stayed at Tranquilseas, based on a friends suggestions and great reviews. The reviews only understated the experience. We felt well taken care of, yet connected with place. Chris & Monica are exemplary hosts, and from their staff selections to the cuisine, they have it down. We didn't see much of the island, because to be honest our goals of relaxing, snorkeling and general slothfulness were well met right at the resort. Great value, incredible lagoon & ocean experience, we will be back, no doubt.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank guymessickaia
Colorado
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

This was a last minute booking and I found Chris on his mobile phone in the middle of the island. He returned the call promptly and we were on our way to Roatan.. Once again!!! There is something special behind the blue door... The resort wins a prize for an overall design. Compact, yet so thoughtfully designed.. Every inch serves a purpose. The grounds are beautiful. Chris and Monika were amazing hosts.. We were very lucky to vacation with people who appreciated both privacy and social time. Everyone staying there respected each other's space yet everyone was eager to share and be part of a larger group. The rooms were well appointed, spacious and clean. Tip: bring your own hair dryer, toileteries and soap.
Samir and Carla did a great job at the bar and the food was excellent.. Highly, highly recommend Tuesday Tapas - live band, great tasting tapas and wine from Chile!!!
Tip: all inclusive option is such a great way to go.. Less to worry about!
Diving was excellent.. PADI shop is very professional yet friendly and down to earth..
Tip: yoga with Christine is a MUST! This lady won my heart and I would fly back to Roatan just to take her class again!
Overall - short but such a restful vacation! We wish we could stay longer!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank W0rldTraveler
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Absolutely adored this place. Unfortunately I have put off writing this review, but my children are still gushing about owners Chris and Monica a month and a half later, and I can't stress how much we loved this place. This is the ONE place I really felt like everything, as far as cost and value for money, was more than fair. As soon as we would leave, I felt like people were trying to rip us off elsewhere, but NEVER that way here. Chris would go out of his way to help find things to do, customized to your interests, and in many cases set everything up for myself and my children, and with no extra costs that I could see, anyway. And the cost of the place is insanely reasonable (wait, does that make sense?). Just an amazing deal. We got PADI certified there, myself and my 11 and 13 year old boys. I was terrified, but they were so patient and just awesome, and I am so glad I did it because those waters are crazy! As in beautiful tropical fish EVERYWHERE and just beautiful. If I had it to do over again, I would eat almost all meals here and just a couple at Rotisserie Chicken in town, which Monica recommended and was our favorite place! Their Monkey Lalas are the best so there is no point having them anywhere else either. Everyone that worked there was so very nice and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank banzai1138
nosneb69, Owner at Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thanks Lori for a truly great week and it makes us happy to be able to share paradise with families like yours!

have a great summer and hopefully see you all again soon!
Bullard, Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2014

First of all, I am not one to really write reviews, but I had to for this vacation. Props to TripAdvisor for always leading me in the right direction. Sorry that this is long, but I just cannot do justice by typing a generic review.

Tranquilseas theme seems to be "making relaxing easier." Am I right Chris?

In any case, this could not be more true. We have had limited experience traveling abroad and it was a bit disconcerting arriving there not knowing where to go and what to do. Chris and Greg found us and made us feel comfortable right away. Funny story... the whole family went to the restroom leaving our bags with Greg. When we got back, most of our stuff was gone! Greg said it was fine but I wondered if we had been hoodwinked (Greg is an honest guy but I didn't know him at the time). Shortly, Chris came along, introduced himself and said.. "Hello, I am the one who stole your bags." Of course, he merely placed them in the van. Scary for a moment but he made me feel much easier after it was all said and done. And, folks, that is the way it was throughout. I felt comfortable, relaxed, and important to them.

I have never, ever, felt so appreciated in all of my travels.

There are no TV's, no clocks, no anything that makes us Americans feel at home. But that's the point isn't it? We would simply awake at sun-up, and go to breakfast. And, let me tell you, the breakfast was awesome.

Every AM, Chris would show up and ask us what we wanted to do that day. EVERY REQUEST was accommodated as he has connections throughout the island. We are typically meticulous planners, so it was a bit hard to depend on someone else to get it done. Chris never disappointed. Good luck getting something like that at a "big resort."

Now, a bit on diving. We did not opt for the all-inclusive deal as we had two younger kids (scuba certified at 10 and 12). I did not want to lock them in to diving the whole time as they wanted other things to do. They accommodated that and had us to afternoon dives so as not to get in the way of the more serious adult divers. We made it out on our own boat each day. That was huge for me and my wife. The dive instructors were great (thanks Henry and Edwin), treated our kids as adults, yet kept them safe. I could not brag on the dive team more. You guys really made our trip one for the ages! However, I am upset that my kids were by far the best divers of all of us, but that's another story.. haha.

Samir treated us so well at the bar, such a nice man. My tick marks on my tab looked like Morse Code, there were so many. But I had fun, obviously.

Luis served great food and even cooked up the tuna we caught on a fishing trip... very good. Again, good luck finding that anywhere else.

Everyone felt like family, and it is a family I would soon like to see again. Thus, I am working that much harder now to get back.

This group has a special place in my heart and will be back soon.

I would strongly recommend this place to anyone who wants a relaxing vacation without the hassle of a big resort, who wants the personal attention that is better than anything I could imagine.

Good job, see you soon!

3 Thank agswin00
Taylorsville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 24, 2014

What we loved most about staying at Tranquilseas was the ease and convenience of EVERYTHING.......airport pickup, in 20 minutes you're in your bathing suit ready for an easy swim to the reef with minimal boat traffic, small numbers in dive group so it felt very personalized, relaxing outdoor living/lounging spaces, a nice variety of menu/bar choices which we considered delicious, nice breakfast included in your rate, live music 2 nights we were there, and a very interesting presentation one night, tours of any sort can be personally arranged for you, and airport drop off at the end of your trip. If you're looking for a quality snorkel/dive experience in Roatan, it doesn't get any easier folks. Some highlights of our stay included Tuesday night Tunes and Tapas...........food was outstanding and the live band was superb, wonderful breakfasts, a boat tour around the entire island with snorkel stops/lunch along the way, phenomenal diving and swimming to the reef, and the laid back atmosphere with great outdoor living/lounging spaces. Leave your high heels at home, just bring flip flops! The staff is friendly but unintrusive......they are around if you need them. If you want people waiting on you hand and foot then go to Cancun for that experience. Living in a treehouse by the sea is a great descrption of the lodge. It is very unique, you will notice something different everyday. I highly recommend Tranquilseas if you want more of a personalized dive experience, like to snorkel, or just need some relaxation with nice meals prepared for you. As a sidenote, Roatan is a special place. We have snorkeled Bonaire and the Caymans, but Roatan is our personal favorite. My husband says the same for the diving..........there is no comparison.

Room Tip: There is no bad choice, they are all good.
3 Thank flipflop650
Boulder, Colo.
Reviewed March 16, 2014

It's rare to stay in a place on a travel adventure with the right combination of giving you the feeling of "getting away from it all" while also being supported by an engaging, friendly staff. Tranquilseas offers both. I was the sole non-diver on a group dive trip so my experience is different from those who dove. Regardless, the way the lodge has built its common space for dining, drinking and relaxing gives you an experience like you are living in a treehouse by the sea. It feels special. And the new sky deck that Chris has added has breathtaking views.

My husband and friends dove. They loved it. I rode along on several dives and simply enjoyed being on the water on wonderful bright sunny days.

If you like "classic" turquoise-water and white sand beaches, a quick taxi drive and water taxi take you to Sandy Bay. On cruise-ship days, the beach traffic can be busy but if you need a beach day on your dive trip, it's a beautiful, convenient option.

Room Tip: The King Crab room is a spacious, lovely room. The balcony is a dream. It is a very open space so if...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Cocolobo
#3 of 8 in West End
Seagrape Plantation Resort
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center? Share your experiences!