“Great Diving”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, MD
“Great Diving”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Spent three days diving with Kent. He is a terrific divemaster; knowledgeable and responsible. I would highly recommend this dive center....Saw sharks, turtles...and did some great wall and wreck dives. This dive center emphasizes safety first.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Saint Paul
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I should start this out by saying that I don’t know what else I can say that hasn’t already been addressed by other reviewers. All I can do is reiterate everything that the other reviews said (with the exception of those who didn’t give Tranquilseas five stars).

Chris and Monica are amazing people. They both have such big and fun personalities and are wildly talented on top of it. Their never ending crusade to be environmentally friendly and their efforts to teach others to do the same are just another endearing characteristic. Chris is a great source of information and just a fun person to be around and Monica is an unreal cook and remarkable host. My husband and I were also lucky enough to be there when Chris’s dad Paul was there too. He is a riot so make sure to sit and chat with him.

Like other people said, it’s a very intimate setting with only five cabanas. After a day it felt like we were staying at someone’s house. It’s really cool that the layout is such that all of the cabanas feel/are so private but you still get to know other travelers but without it feeling forced or obtrusive. We met so many great people I hated to leave. We stayed in the Hummingbird which was beautifully designed (just like the other rooms we got to check out-Octopus and Tortuga). We had a great view of the sea and reef. There are two more rooms that are in the midst of being built above the Octopus. In the week we were there, amazing progress was made and we never even noticed construction noise. Paul gave us a tour of the new construction and the cabanas are going to be incredible. There is also going to be a yoga studio on the very top that is going to have unparalleled views of the reef.

The snorkeling right off of the dock is great. It is also easy to take a kayak and tie up to the buoys near the reef and snorkel there as well. We went on a couple of snorkeling/diving trips on the boat as well. One with Kent who was great and another with both Chris and Kent. They were two perfect days amongst a week of them.

There was a scheduled power outage one day that was only supposed to last a few hours and ended up lasting all day. That night we sat out on the deck and spent a lot of time visiting with other travelers and looking at the stars. Who knew an inconvenience could end up being such a gorgeous night?! Plus, Tranquilseas thoughtfully provides flashlights in each room.

We went to Tapas and Tunes on Tuesday. The food was awesome and the band was fun too. Lots of classic rock.

Massy Ferguson, an American band from Seattle, was performing and we went on Friday. It was so much fun and a great chance to meet people that live on the island as well as other travelers. Chris and Monica know how to throw a party!

Since Monica is such a great chef (and teacher, because the food was ALWAYS amazing) it was really hard to justify eating elsewhere on the island. We managed to pull ourselves away for a few meals but I would have been content to stay in which is saying a lot for me since the thought of not trying other restaurants in the area is generally abhorrent to me!

The location was great, the staff is great, the property is great, everything was perfect and I would like to say thank you to Chris, Monica, and Paul as well as all of their staff for making this the most perfect winter getaway. I was sorry to have to come home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maymay22
Edgerton, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at another facility and wanted to see the island and learn some history. After some inquiring we were connected with Chris. The day was more than we could have imagined. We spent the day traveling and hiking with Chris. When the road stopped we kept "going up and around." I am safe in saying most people who come to Roatan come for the beach, snorkeling and diving. We did not dive but left with so much knowledge about the island, learned history and saw sights that are seen by few who visit. After a full day of adventure with Chris we went back to Tranquil Seas, met Monica toured Tranquil seas, had great drinks and Tapas. Chris and Monica have a great place that is well thought out and we will visit them again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 53534sconie
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Tranquilseas for 4 nights in mid-January to celebrate our 10-year wedding anniversary. What a beautiful place! From the airy cabana to the beautiful deck overlooking Sandy Bay to wonderful staff and guests, we loved it all!

Although most guests come to Tranquilseas for the amazing dive center, we found plenty to do as non-divers! Primarily, we strolled down the beach and relaxed on the deck, drinking fruity rum drinks, reading, chatting with other guests, and enjoying the quietness that is Sandy Bay (and a vacation without children!). We also snorkeled (rented gear from the hotel) and used the complimentary sea kayaks right off the hotel's dock and throughout Sandy Bay (you can snorkel right next to Anthony Key's dolphin enclosure and see some dolphins!).

There is also beautiful botanical gardens (Carambola Gardens) and spa (Baan Suerte) right down the road/beach (5-7 minutes walking). Chris also arranged for a full-day trip zip-lining and exploring Gumbalimba Park for us!

The hotel is also a quick $5 cab ride to West End (simply walk to the end of the driveway and flag down the first white taxi you see). We spent every night (and most of a full day) at Sundowners Bar drinking Monkey LaLas and sitting on a beautiful strip of beach people watching.

Overall, the hotel was fantastic and we can’t recommend Tranquilseas enough!

NOTE: If you are planning to eat/explore outside the hotel, bring plenty of case/get cash at the airport when you arrive! US Dollars are accepted by everyone (even cab drivers) so there is no real need to exchange money. During most of our time on Roatan, all 3 of the ATMs in West End were out of money or turned off. Also, once they were turned back on, the ATM at the gas station processed our request and then never gave us money!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Shoreline
Reviewed March 13, 2013

we just spent 2 weeks on Roatan. The island is beautiful and the locals are friendly. We rented a house just down the road from Tranquilseas and hooked up with them early on. Our dive experience was great, after the 1st day they picked us up at our dock which was really nice. All the dives were well planned and we got really good pre-dive info as to what we were going to see, what our planned depths would be and how we would end the dive. Although we brought our own gear the dive shop is well stocked with anything you might need. Chris and his crew are top notch all the way....thanks for a great trip...J. S. Dean

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Big Sky, MT
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed here for three weeks in January and I had a great time. The Cabanas were great, the site well designed and looks like a little botanical garden. The owners are great and helpful and know tons about Roatan. They were an invaluable resource to me as I explored the island. The cabanas are quiet, clean. The location is wonderful, right on a sandy beach with a postcard-perfect dock from which you can jump off and snorkel. Visit this place, you will not regret it!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Indy
Reviewed March 12, 2013

How I wish I could come up with something unique to share about this place. But read the last 100 reviews. Here's a deep insight: The reason 99% of the reviews are incredibly positive is because Tranquilseas is incredible! And now please forgive me for basically just repeating what you may have already read......

It's not a luxury hotel. It is so, so much better. We can't speak highly enough about the personal service, that you'll feel like you're a valued guest at someone's home rather than just a number at a large hotel chain. THERE ARE ONLY 5 CABANAS! That's both good and bad---bad because as people learn about this place, it will be booked months (years?) in advance. Good because where else do you know everyone at a resort and have several personal conversations with the owners after being there 24 hours?!

Ok, here's something maybe a little newer than other reviews: We (my wife that i don't deserve, and I) do NOT dive nor did we snorkle---like most people visiting Roatan do......but we still had an incredible vacation! Do you have time for a story? (if not, skip to the next review, because I'm about to ramble on and on.....). In my early email to owner Chris, and Monica, I ask if they might be able to do something special for my wife and I celebrating our 7 year wedding anniversary? Now most resort owners might ignore the request, or perhaps say "oh how nice, here's a flower for your room", etc, but not the team of Chris and Monica. They set up a surprise dinner or their postcard-looking pier. I lie to my wife and tell her that we're going to a restaurant in town to celebrate, and Chris takes time out of his busy schedule to drive us around the block while Monica gets the table set up on the pier. Chris decides rather than just stall and drive around the block, to instead drive us to the complete end of the island to a deserted beach where he walks us to the very end, hands us 2 glasses and a bottle of champagne, along with an exotic flower he picks on the short walk there, then leaves us alone to enjoy the sun setting in yet another postcard moment (again, all a complete surprise to my amazing wife), then drives us back to the pier, where Monica has a table set up at the end, and she personally cooks us a dinner-to-die-for while the full moon rises over the sea. I'm not making this stuff up. WHO DOES THAT?! I will answer that: no one. No one, except these two fun, humble folks who run this place called Tranquilseas. (i'd like to apologize now to both Chris and Monica, as I suspect future travelers might call and say, "and yea, if there's any bit of truth to that story, i'd like that one diinner thing that you did for that couple from Indianapolis back on February of 2013 for their anniversary........).

Ask for, beg for, the trip to Cayos Cochinos. Worth every penny, we will cherish it for a lifetime. And please--if you can--bring some donations to give to the folks on that island--school supplies, kids' clothes. The many islands on this trip were beautiful--check out pictures on others' reviews, or just google Cayos Cochinos (we learned it was the sight of the Italian Survivor show!)

Another highlight: a fruit/vegetable truck came to the resort twice during the week, and for $6 we bought 2 pineapples, mangos, bananas, and avacados (yea, they were all amazing).

Note: I am not related to anyone running this resort, it just really was that good.

I have rambled on quite a bit, my apologies. Yet there are so many more things I could write about, but let me just end with this: What was so wonderful about our time at Tranquilseas is that we could be as busy as we wanted to (hiking, snorkling, diving, traveling to beaches, gardens, tours, bars, etc, etc) or as relaxed and non-busy as we wanted to be, and either way have a great time. Chris and Monica helped everyone with any and all requests that they had, calling for tours, etc. And they had very valuable info to share regarding how to save money, where to go on the island, etc. We also met some really really nice folks also staying at the resort, including a very cool kid named Lewis!

I'll close with a negative. They may have ruined our vacation routine. You see, in the past, we would travel to someplace new, somewhere that we've never been before. Please forgive me if I sound like a travel-snob.......but we've been blessed to travel to many great places--Puerto Rico, Vieques, Aruba, Jamaica, Curacao, Belize, but now--because of Chris and Monica, I'm not sure we want to ever go any where else again (other than back to Tranquilseas).

And what ARE you waiting for, call and reserve a Cabana now!

Room Tip: All Cabanas are great! The Tree Frog and the Hummingbird have a balcony facing the Sea.