“Kent youre the best host ever”
Review of Blue Bahia Resort

Blue Bahia Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Blue Bahia the best resort to spend a good vacation with the warmth of your home. Kent the best of hosts, always aware of your needs, every time in a good mood and sharing with the guests. Actually a dream place to scape everyday life. Thanks kent see you soon. I recommend it 100%.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Comfortable resort with good beach location. We didn’t encounter any issues with sea flies – that maybe seasonal. The room we had was generously sized with a porch and sea view. Breakfast servings are generous and the delivery to the room works well. Flexible about breakfast requests.
The owner, Kent comes across as an old-hand on Roatan who knows the lay of the land in this part of the world. If not friendly, then cordial and service-minded in the American tradition.

Sandy beach is part of the island somewhat removed from the more concentrated town of West-end (10-15 min by taxi including walk/catching the cab on the road nearby). It is really a place you seek out for diving as the action is in West End and the best beaches in West Bay. Hence it is a cry and shame that the dive centre based on the resort, the Octopus Dive Centre is highly disorganized (see review elsewhere). Another dive centre nearby was recommended for this part, but they were fully booked when we visited. The name escapes me but I think they were Englishmen.

If you visit Sandy Bay, I highly recommend the action dolphin swim at nearby Anthonys Key Resort which involves fantastic interaction with dolphins.

Other than the lack of a decent dive centre, my main gripe is related to airport transfers. The taxi drivers at the airport run quite the taxi racket. They have united to charge USD 25 for a 15-minute ride – more than you would pay for the equivalent ride in New York City. Obviously this does not correspond to the price level of Honduras. By working past the first few drivers who approached me, the price very quickly fell to USD 20. But given the small size of the airport (only about 5 drives on hand), I didn’t have it in me to push it further and risk being left stranded in a new country. I had already emailed Kent from Blue Bahia about an airport transfer who had quoted me the same price. By and large; I found that disappointing for him to play along with that racket. When I planned to go to Honduras the lack of infrastructure and the safety concerns somewhat had to be mitigated by attractive prices. Here the question is whether this stacks up.

On seasonality, my research and conversations on the island told me that the raining period is October to beginning of January. If you travel in this period, you will most certainly have a number of days written off – how many depends on whether you are in the middle of the period our on the shoulder.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ExphilipX
kentburnes, Owner at Blue Bahia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Phillip, I am sorry you have some of the feelings that you do about our resort. We strive to work with every guest to ensure that they have a plesant experience in our boutique type setting. I did email you several times regarding airport transportation and yes I did tell you that it is $20 from the airport to our hotel by taxi, no I am not part of a racket and resent the implication. $20 is the posted rates from the airport to sandy bay using a private taxi and posted throughout the municipality as well as in the airport. I also told you that you could take what is called a collectivo meaning you would share the taxi with other people or you could walk outside the airport lot and flag the local bus which would drastically reduce your cost to about $5 per person. Or that I would have a taxi waiting for you with a sign that would have our name on it for the rate the driver is paid, $20. Those are the rates on Roatan I do not set them.
I was only involved in your conversations with Octopus on a limited basis but I know that you were told from the beginning to do an advanced and rescue course in a four night stay was a rushed schedule. Your partner did tell me she was given dive times so that she could complete her advanced on schedule. The next morning your partner did come to the dive center at 830am and tell them that she did not feel well from the night before and wanted to re-arrange the schedule. I know that the dive shop worked with you on your schedule for some time before your arrival, and it is fine that someone not dive when they do not feel up to par and should not dive when not feeling well, but the dive times were known. But you then came and told me that Octopus was so disorganized and no schedules were given and you just did not know what to do, I am sorry but schedules were known, I think the problem was that once dives are missed it makes it hard to reschedule a course on a short stay. We could not accomodate her at 11am but could at 2pm. As you know this is a busy period, all other divers were quite happy. Again I am sorry for your feelings about our taxi system but I do not make those rules, but we did tell you many ways to move around roatan very cheaply.
Octopus dive shop has an excellent reputation and I know worked with you and listened to your concerns as you met with the owner right outside my door. Your partner told me she was fine and her instructor and her worked out a new schedule, and you said that it had been worked out. But again, I offer our sincere apology for not meeting your expectations. Kent Burnes- Owner Blue Bahia Resort

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was our first trip to Roatan. We love to snorkel but do NOT scuba and wondered if we were too old for this adventure (50's)...WE WERE NOT!! We had a blast! Kent was very helpful, from airport pick up to kayak trips to Island tours, He knows the Island inside out. We could snorkel right off the pier or take the dive boat out. Some days we did both!!!! Breakfast comes to your room each morning to start the day off right. The on site restaurant was good, a few steps down the beach is the Tranquil Seas which I highly recommend on Tapas and tune night!!! A short Taxi ride or Tiki Bus ride away is West End where you can find just about anything!!! Dont expect luxury in Honduras but go for the adventure and whatever you do get out to the reef even if you just snorkel, you won't regret it! The bugs do nibble in Roatan so pack your bug spray, Benadryl cream, steroid cream, antihistamine tabs and light long pants and shirts.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elaine P
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have nothing to say but great things about Blue Bahia & their crew... they are very kind and welcome you with an honest smile. We stayed for a week and every single day we had a blast; the condos are nice, a very kind lady helps you with the cleaning every morning and delivers your breakfast!

Kent was extremely helpul with me & my girlfriend, he recommended us a taxi driver (Phillip) who took care of us and drove us everywhere... no matter what time was! Kent even gave us a local mobile to make our calls when needed.

Also, you can do snorkeling or scuba; they have a school and the crew is very helpful and kind. The reef is right in front of Blue bahia, you swim probably for about 15mins and you get to see amazing things... just beautiful, honestly!

Definitely we´re coming back this year again! Don´t miss it, you won´t regret!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rodrigo G
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family descended on Blue Bahia Resort for a reunion over Christmas 2013. There's a wide variety of suite sizes so it was easy to find the right size for every group. Each suite has a very serviceable kitchenette: we cooked dinner for 14 people one night. The larger suites easily accommodated family gatherings for card games and birthday parties. There's a flat screen TV in each room as well; we didn't watch much but others in the group were able to get English language stations with movies and news. The rooms are nice and private : we were staying downstairs from a family of four and didn't hear any voices or footsteps from upstairs for the entire week.

Breakfast was delivered to our room every morning: juice, eggs and toast or pancakes or other entree, fruit, and a side of sausage or veggie sausage. A few of us are vegetarian and it was great to have the vegetarian breakfast meat option. The food was fresh, home-made and filling.

Several folks were scuba certified, and it was very convenient for them to arrange for dives that left straight from the Resort; there is a dive company located on the premises. There's also a restaurant onsite that made lunch and dinner meals very easy too.

There's excellent snorkeling either right off-shore or further out by the reef, and the pool is also great for entertaining young children. We went running on the beach almost every morning.

I have to give a huge shout out to the owner, Kent. He knows Roatan inside and out and is literally a life-saver. He gave us tons of local tips, like where to try baleadas (Honduran tacos) and where to buy locally made gifts. During Christmas dinner, when one person in our group had a medical emergency, Kent knew exactly whom to call and he helped us out of a scary situation. I'm grateful to Kent for all his excellent advice and help during our stay. I cannot recommend Blue Bahia resort highly enough!

Room Tip: If you are noise-sensitive, ask for a room away from the parrots and toucans. They start chattering...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mirren451
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Everyone at the resort is very friendly and helpful. Did a great job of rescheduling with me when my plans changed. The resort is kept very clean. Kent does a great job assuring all of your needs are taken care. WiFi is good for comunincations. Great restaurant on site. Enjoyed the bilingual birds!!! I had to video them to show my Grandaughter!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We came here to eat for a meal while stating on Roatan. The menu boasted a wide variety of choices including a fish of the day plate which was incredibly reasonable at $9 and $14 for an all you can eat option!

Drinks were well prepared (though strong!) and staff happy to accommodate to your needs.

Not the best quality food when compared to neighbouring resort mayoka lodge but cheaper options available in a beautiful setting

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 9 in West End
Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas

Been to Blue Bahia Resort? Share your experiences!