As a party of five adults and three toddlers, we started off at a different residential house on Sandy Bay Beach, a short distance from the Blue Bahia. Due to circumstances we moved to two of the Blue Bahia’s one bedroom suites. Overall we found a lovely cozy and home-like setting for the children with an atmosphere of safety as the suites form a natural enclosure around the pool each one with their door facing the center of the Blue Bahia focal point, wisely designed. Doing medical volunteer work at a different location in Sandy Bay for a month, I can verify that blackouts are not just at the Blue Bahia but along whole sections of the island and are unavoidable as are sand fleas on Sandy Bay. Agreeing with other reviews, the Blue Bahia is a five star boutique small resort setting, not a hotel so if you want that kind of setting, you will be disappointed. However if you want friendly and personalized consideration, Kent and Lisette and their staff will provide it.
There was construction going on but it was not a problem, neither noisy nor dirty. The individual suites were clean, the water did not have septic or sewage smell as in other places and there were no bugs or ants in the kitchens or bathrooms.
The restaurant menu was varied with plenty of choices. The housekeeping was daily, thorough and satisfied the needs of a family with small children.
Having a restaurant on the premises is a major advantage since taxi’s and collectivos are the major source of transportation in this part of the island which is not within walking distance to the major hub of the west end or Coxen Hole. However this location provides the peace and humbleness of the local character as opposed to the typical touristy areas of the island with the typical “hotel look and feel”.
Use of the Blue Bahia’s computer was readily offered upon request and the casual and open ambiance set by Kent and Lisette lent to the assumption if a guest asked and it was reasonable, it shall be done.
If you do not like sand fleas, wear long sleeves and pants in the hot sun, even Deet does not work, they are everywhere on this part of the island. If you cannot deal with the inconveniences the locals live with such as daily blackouts, stay home or stay in a major hotel on the other side of the island where the cruise ships dock.
However, if you want a non-touristy atmosphere, the beach within a few yards, an informal condominium-like setting for one or multiple families, Kent and Lisette provide such an atmosphere. We are appreciative of the attention and efforts made toward a cake to celebrate a nine year old’s birthday in a foreign country…it was very special.
Thank you Kent, Lisette and their staff. We shall return…just don’t get too popular that we are turned away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Small boutique resort located directly ON the beach in Sandy Bay, Roatan. Beach Grill Restaurant, Octopus Dive School, and great comfort and service. Swimming pool, ac in all units, some full kitchens, wireless internet, AP shuttle. All sea views! On site owner works to handle all of your vacation needs. Ask about our "monthly" specials! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Blue Bahia Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Bahia Hotel Sandy Bay
- Blue Bahia Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands