“I loved Anthony's Key!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Canada
“I loved Anthony's Key!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2007

I want to start by saying that I loved our recent holiday at Anthony's Key (Feb. 07). I know you can never please all people but I am so shocked by a few of the negative comments as I feel they are unjustified. If you want perfection in everything (hotel, food, service), then why not go to New York, Paris etc. You are going to Central America. Enjoy the differences!

Diving- Both my husband and I dive but wouldn't consider ourselves to be "divers" and wondered if it might be too much. It wasn't and we loved it. It was easy diving in that it was so well organized that it was effortless and we could spend all our time enjoying marine life under the water which was great. Excellent diving.

Food - Very good. Plenty of it. Fresh with good service. If you are a gourmand and want the absolute best, than go to France or Italy.

Accomodation -- good but we should have chosen to be on the Key instead of on Hillside. Exerything was good (no bugs) with AC which we never used. Had a noisy fan which they fixed immediately. Would recommend to be on the key in a Superior cabin. A little bit more but magical. My personal choice would be to request a cabin in the low to mid 40's (room number) as you can watch the sunset from your balcony.

People -- I really enjoyed the other guests at the resort. An unfussy group overall but maybe because most are pretty sporty. I am not sure I would go here if I wasn't a diver but it would still be an excellent place to go where either the husband or wife dove but not the other because there were many other things to do (horseback riding, other excursions).

Overall, I would highly recommend AKR and hope to return frequently. We loved it and would love to bring our whole family. Thanks to all the group at AKR.

Theresa from Canada

• Liked — Location, Diving,
  • Disliked — some bugs
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank CanadaTheresa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

Date: February 10-17, 2007

We arrived in Roatan on February 10th. After reading the last post on TA before we left, we were apprehensive about the resort. All of our fears were quickly put to rest. We had an excellent week and would gladly return someday!

Staff: Most of our experience was with the wait staff and the dive operation. The limited exposure to the front desk was more than adequate. The waiters we encountered were very friendly and did an excellent job. They helped make our dining experience a pleasant one. Barry, Jerry, Storlin and Marcos served us most of the time and were an added plus!!

Diving: The dive operation is first class from the equipment to the dive boats. The staff is very attentive. We have never been so pampered when diving. Our divemaster was Greg along with Captain Jimmy. They went out of their way to make our diving worry free!

Food: Is the food 5 star...no. Was it enjoyable and ample..yes. Breakfast consists of the basic buffet along with 3 meals you can order fresh; Island Omelet, french toast or pancakes. It would have helped to have a few differet choices throughout the week. Lunch had a good varierty throughout the week. The soups served at lunch and dinner were superb. Dinner consisted of soup, salad and your chocie of a fish entree or a meat\poultry entree and of course dessert. You could order a combo entree which made the choice easier! One night they served BBQ ribs out on the key which turned out to be a great evening of fun. AKR brings in some local talent and does some crab races, etc.

Rooms: We stayed in the key standard. Although ample it could have used a few upgrades. There was not a drawer in the room and the lighting was terrible. Almost impossible to read at night. FYI, you get more than just a\c when you upgrade to the key superior rooms. They have much larger decks, more details, better interior finish and are located in better spots around the key.

Pool: The pool and bar area are beautiful. It is a very nice space with a large bar\grill and covered day beds in both corners. The food at the grill is not coverd in the meal program so it is an additional cost. Because moet guests dive, the pool does not get used much until after 3 pm or so.

Overall we loved are stay and it exceeded our expectations. The cost is in line with similiar resorts we have stayed at in the Caribbean. Someday if there are vacation time and dollars available, we would gladly return!

• Liked — Fantastic diving operation
  • Disliked — room could have been improved
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank mszim5456
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2007

I stayed at Anthony's Key Resort in July 2005 but the hotel made such a positive impression on me that I feel compelled to write a review about it now even though it is a bit outdated.

Rooms: I traveled to AKR with a large group and stayed in the Hill Standard cabin with three other girls. Upon arrival the cabin only had two beds, but the staff quickly provided us with an extra one. The description of the cabins on AKR's website is accurate: they are not air-conditioned and let bugs in. However, there is a bathroom in the room and hammocks outside on the deck (which was a nice touch). I would not reccommend staying in the Hill Standard unless you are keen on "roughing it" - I would suggest staying in the Hill Standard or Hill Superior (both air-conditioned) instead.

Staff: I found the staff at AKR to be very friendly, personable, and accomodating. Alonso our dive master, Richard our captain, Marvin the horseback riding guide and Eddie the dolphin trainer all kept us happy and well informed.

Food: Contrary to other reviews, I loved the food at AKR! They served mainly traditional food: using fish and rice and beans, but there were always more American options all well. I found the lunch and dinner options to be delicious, they gave me a feel of the island flavor and were creative at the same time. Breakfast however was only average. The pastries were often slightly stale and the fresh fruit wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

Facilities/Activities: AKR has such a multitude of activites that you can spend your whole time in Roatan without ever leaving the resort! They offer kayaking, canoeing, horseback riding, and a pool. There are also a wide variety of dolphin activities that take place on Bailey's Key and dolphin and fish ID lectures take place at the Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences (RIMS) (which is on the resort). AKR also offers excursions off the property. A not-to-be-missed activity is the island fiesta night on Wednesday night.

Diving: While AKR was my first official dive trip and I cannot accurately compare the diving at AKR to other sites, I can say some of the highlights of our dives were seeing angelfish, trunkfish, several rays, a baby and adult turtle, jewel fish, a seahorse, "Angelina" the barracuda and a sharpnose pufferfish. There is a freshwater tank and a "gear shack" near the dock so you don't need to lug your equipment back to the cabin.

Snorkeling: You can snorkel at both Tabiyana beach and the marine reserve and while the fish were scarce at the marine reserve, they were plentiful at Tabiyana beach.

Other Comments: Our group recieved a tropical drink upon arrival to AKR (nice touch). You can sign up for both hairbraiding and horseback riding at the front desk. AKR provides internet access for their guests (on a time basis) and I did not find myself waiting to use a computer. Overall, AKR has great staff, good food, and a heck of a location.

Tips: I suggest Cactus Juice (which you can order online) for protection against the Roatan sun and the island's healthy population of insects. Be sure to keep well hydrated, especially if you are diving as the heat will take it write out of you.

Final Words: I apoligize for the long review but I wanted to touch on all the major areas of AKR. AKR is a place where you can do as much or as little as you please. I would return to AKR in a hearbeat and definately reccomend staying there for a magical island experience.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank Lovetotravel056
nyc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2007

Short and sweet:

Cabins: I stayed in a superior over-water cabin which was lovely. They are the only ones worth booking because they are sealed from weather and insects and they are air-conditioned. The comments on this site about the other "regular" cabins are all true (open spaces for bugs to enter, very dark, hot, and extremely noisy when it rains). I was shocked at the difference in quality between the rooms superior and standard cabins. The "standard" cabins are NOT worth the $$ AKR is charging. They are camping shacks, not hotel rooms. Book the superiors with confidence and request over water -- this is very important for the breeze -- keeps the bugs off (yes, its as bad as people say) you when you are hanging on the porch.

Facilities: The only reason to come to AKR is diving. The "snorkle" area is just sea grass -- no reef and no fish. The "pool" is unswimmable -- very shallow and VERY hot water because the sun boils it (its raised above ground so there is no cooling effect of being sunk). The "beach" is tiny and unswimable (it abuts the channel the dive boats travel through). To hit a decent beach you have to take a day trip. Food is okay. Staff is very friendly. Internet service is set up well and there are many terminals. The massage service is a great value but there is only one masseusse so sign up early.

Diving: I am a very experienced diver with hundreds of dives and I do not think the dive shop at AKR is run safely. They were very nice and the boats were big and new, but that isnt enough. The shop uses a chalk sign up system that can be altered the same morning and there are simple headcounts on the boats (no written list of divers, no signin/checkin sheets). Coupled with the fact that the shop/DMs allow solo diving (i.e. you dont have to buddy up) this shop's practices are a recipe for leaving a diver in the water. In fact, we left a diver on the dock between morning dives despite the DM's headcount before pulling away. In addition, although we had a group of 20 divers, they put us on a boat with only one DM and the DM could not keep his eye on all the divers. One woman had a serious problem and the DM was too far away to offer any assistance. I would not dive here again and cant recommend it as a dive destination for the reasons above.

• Stayed January 2007
25 Thank decca_mac
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2006

We stayed @ AKR from 17-24th Dec 2006. It is an excellent set up for both divers and non-divers. (My husband dives and I'm a snorkeler.)
AKR has thought of everything - for example there is no lugging of wet dive gear to/from your room each day and hanging it to dry on your balcony - there is a freshwater shower and diptank on the dock and they have a store for your dive gear on the docks right next to the boats!!! There is even a 'snack' shop on the dock to puchase supplies for your dive/snorkel trip and no need to carry money for the whole duration as you can sign absolutely everything to your room.

We were met at the airport by Greg he took care of everything customs and our baggage and on our return journey he took care of us - An excellent way of caring for guests. When you arrive at AKR they take your passport and return ticket to confirm your flight and obtain your boarding pass for your return journey - No hassle at all - AKR provided a real holiday.

There is a choice of boats and dives sites every day. Although the diving is average compared to other places like Egypt & Maldives, but the conditions are good and sites plentiful. They sometimes mixed the dive trips with the snorkel trips, so that you all would meet on a remote island for lunch - these excursions are all included in the price - Excellent value.

The guys on the snorkel boat took excellent care of me. Tip for any snorkelers: stick to the snorkel guide as they know where to find the fish/creatures and you will see amazing sights - I saw trumpet fish, rays, turtles and other things which some of the divers didn't even see!!!

Only one critism - you don't go AKR for the food!!! Although you get plenty of it and there is lots of variety, the flavour is sometimes poor and the chef over uses salt! The drinks are reasonably priced approx $5 for a cocktail and they are very generous with their alcoholic measurements. Meals are servced with complimentary water, juice or iced tea.

AKR's settiing is beautiful - they have created a hotel which hamonises with the environment - the reception, main bar and dinning area is set in the hill forest, literally! We had a lovely spacious air-con room on the Key with a veranda overlooking the sea - so beautiful.

This is nothing to do with AKR - but the biting insects are ferocious!!! - insect repellant is a must.

The staff are very friendly and have such a calm, accomodating manner- would recommend this hotel without a doubt!

Any questions email us: hols@morganz.co.uk

• Liked — The Hotel harmonised with the environment
  • Disliked — Too much salt in the food and the room cleaner didn't replace our towels each day until very late
  • Tips/Secrets — Stick to the dive/snorkel guides for the best experiences. Don't expect much activity/life outside the resort
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Morganz
MSP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2006

We were returning guests. This time with kids (5 and 7).
Overall we like AKR good resort good organized and good maintained.
We have to understand that January is not the best time of the year to visit Roatan. They have their rainy season. At some day we got wet once only.
We all had fun the diving was good, good crew. We liked the snorkling and the dolpins.
The kids enjoyed the new pool, so we parents could dive.
However there were not many couples with kids during this time. Arranging daycare was organized by AKR and worked fine.

Stayed January 2006
4 Thank aknelsonone
netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2006

The end of November this yaear we stayed at AKR, Roatan. Unfortunately, the weathergods wern't with as as we had lots of wind and rain. Diving was average and what was most prominent was the lack of fish. coral was nice, but as the light was poor it appeared bleak compared with other sites as e.g. the red sea or Indonesia. AKR is definitely geared up to accomodating the diving tourist, but with this weather there was nothing else to do. Apart from the BBQ, which was short but good we didn't have a warm meal. in short not in the top 10 for us.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Barefoot Cay
Barefoot Cay
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!