“Excellent time”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“Excellent time”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I will start out by saying that we did not stay at this resort. We were on a cruise and this resort was used for the Beginner's Scuba. The day was great. Instruction was easy quick and to the point. They were very safe and provided a great time for a reasonable price. The dive itself was wonderful. Squid, sting ray and sea turtles were seen as well as all the beautiful fish. Overall it was excellent.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sully29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Before flying out to Anthony's key I myself read some review's, just to see what other's said about the resort, there was one review that said, choose hut # 39 due to the location, Well after returning home a few days ago, I can honestly tell you that Anthony's Key is absolutely beautiful !! Although all the huts are very nice, the one thing that hut # 39 has, is an extra dock to the water with a couple recliner chairs to sit out on. the Sunsets were wonderful, The Key itself,very nice with a nice Pool and Bar very close by.
All meals, were very good, and didn't have to worry about the water or getting sick from the food. The Diving was the best, great dive location's, our dive Master and Captain were wonderful ( Jo-Jo and Jeremy) aka Nickalos boat !! Looking forward to return some time real soon. Thanks again Anthony's Key.. what an awesome place.
Carl & Jeanne-- Minnesota 5/16/10-5/23/10

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Siggyboi
Stevenson Ranch, California
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I'll start out by saying what a wonderful time my fiance and I had while at AKR. Everything I'd read before was true...great diving, wonderful staff, beautiful location. Here are a couple of things I learned while i was there that I thought people would like to know. *The bugs... "no-see-ums", well you can see them, they are tiny black flies and you will feel them when they bite. I used Deep Woods off with 25% Deet and I still got bit, at lease 75 bites and they still itch (i've been home 5 days now). They are everywhere, day and night, by the pool, even on the dive boat while we were waiting to leave the dock. Bring some lightweight long sleeve tees and longer pants or skirts to minimize this. *The tipping...noone could give us a suggestion for amounts. Some divers we talked to were giving $100 for the DM and $100 for boat captain if they were diving everyday (20-24 dives for the week...that was per couple).That averages about $5 per dive for each. We were assigned 3 different boats in one week which made it harder to figure out at the end. We sat in different areas for meals based on time of day and tables available so we just gave $75 to the waiters as a group, $25 to bartenders, $20 to our housekeeper, and $20 to "back of house". If anyone has a better suggestion please post it, i think it will be helpful in the future. You can put cash in seperate envelopes for each person or write it all out on paper and they will charge it to your card. *Also, everything is billed to your room so you don't need to carry cash but there was a couple of times it would have been nice to have some cash... ziplining people (we just left it at the front desk), and three times when there were live performers at night with tip jars... *When you check out, they give you a stapled pile of everything you've charged for the week. I noticed when I got home that there were 2 seperate charges signed by other people with our room number. Both times were during busy happy hours so make sure you check at the end. One last thing, they have a wonderful masseuse that comes to the resort... she charges $55 for 60 min. and $80 for 90 min.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Hhogelund
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 13, 2010

AKR was the best family vacation we've ever taken. Why?...here are some reasons: (1) Best dive instructure ever...ever! Ask for Bisch. He was incredibly patient with my 15 year old daughter who was hesitant to complete her certification. (2) Frank, our dive master was super-friendly, very professional and safe, and pointed out many things I would have simply missed. (3) Laid back resort without the constant loud music you get at other "Spring Break-like" resorts. Note, they did have a live 2-man band playing island music two nights which was perfect for us. (4) Plenty of activities to keep my teenagers and me busy when we weren't diving, including galloping on horses (included), diving with dolphins (note...stay close to the trainer for the most action), snorkeling off Bailey's Key, Fiesta Night on the Key (crab races, limbo, dance contest, and fire dancing). (5) We truly felt appreciated by nearly all of the staff at dinner, the front desk, reception, etc. (6) The diving was spectacular...it helped to have some really cool people on our boat. (7) These guys don't operate on island time. They are punctual problem-solvers that get you what you need when you need it. (8) The food was excellent. Marcos, one of the waiters, is a true gem. I looked forward to chatting with him each day. (8) Marvin, the trail guide, is a very nice man that has been doing his job for 21 years. Unlike American stables, Marvin let us trot, run, get ahead of the group, lag behind, etc. He also pointed out many things along the ride that made it interesting. (9) OJ, the shore dive, dive master. This man is very well-read. He shared many Honduran stories as he pointed out sea-life, including an octopus for my 13 year daughter, during a chat late one evening. (10) Hot weather with mild ocean breezes making us feel like we were in paradise the whole time. (Note, I like it hot.)

A few things to be careful of: (a) Ziplining was agonizing as they were understaffed for 40 people. We ended up doing more waiting in a hot mountain jungle than we did ziplining. (b) The bugs bit a little but, but not much. We didn't use any repellent...our fault. (c) I've had a bit on an upset stomach when I got home. You may want to drink bottled water.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank Hydromaniac
Tennessee
Reviewed March 24, 2010

My Daughter and I went there on a diving vacation during spring break. It was like a dream only better. Our Divemaster, Marvin, was extremely knowledgeable and gently kept us all on track so that even during our safety stops we were so busy having fun that we never noticed them. Kenly our Captain was wonderful! between Marvin and Kenly, we never had to do any work with our equipment, they just told us to relax it's vacation. When we go back (and we are trying to figure out already how to), we will beg for Marvin and Kenly's boat. Kevin and the dive shop could fix or take care of any of our needs. Definitely get the photos and videos that the photoshop provide because they will send a photographer (Thanks Orville Henry) on several of your trips and our own pics were nothing compared to theirs! The food was wonderful! Especially, if you went with the fresh catch of the day. The wait staff, Perry, Marcos, Saul, etc... were also top notch and Perry would go out of his way to accommodate any allergies we had. The Superior Key Bungalow was like rustic heaven. The whole place was out of Swiss Family Robinson where you truly got away from it all. Personally I LOVED the fact that there were no TVs, phones, or computers in the rooms, (If you needed them they are available in the lobby). The whole place brought together a group of people from around the world and made us all feel like a close-knit family. You MUST do the dolphin swim at Baileys Key, and visit the museum! The lunches on Maya's key with the rescued animals; Fiesta night with the dance contest, limbo, fire dancers; the nightly entertainment with the native dancers or small bands made this place feel even more magical. We still feel the Siren call of the place. When Kyra and I got home we feel empty inside, like we are missing our true home at Anthony's Key! Marvin, Kenly, and the rest, we miss you!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank DanaScheiterlein
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 20, 2010

This was our second trip to Anthony's Key Resort and are looking forward to our third. AKR has the best dive operation that I have seen to date with divemasters and boat captains really taking care of their divers. We did the shark dive which was awsome! We stayed in cabin #48 that looked out to the west over the water so we were treated with wonderful sunsets every night. The cabins are rustic but clean and comfortable. #48 has a large covered deck with two hammocks for relaxing. I only have a couple of negatives to share but they are washed out by all of the positives...You must "check out" and finalize your bill before four the day before departure so you cannot charge anything to your room after that. My other negative is that during the check-out process the front desk was not very friendly.

Note: On a previous post a person had a very negative review that I believe is unfair and untrue in my opinion. The poster siad that they built the cabins on a coral reef. The entire coast of Roatan was at one time most likely a coral reef. The cabins are built on the exposed dead coral that lines the entire coast. Ship sunk on eel garden...Next to the ship is a thriving colony of garden eels. Dolphins in captivity...Yes the dolphins are kept in an enclosure most of the time however are brought out to open water for the evening dolphin show and the dolphin dive. These dolphins could leave if they wanted. The dolphins provide awareness for our marine enviroment to thousands of people every year. Although there was a happy hour amost every night I would not say that alchohol was ever pushed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FrUsa1991
Ontario
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We stopped in Roatan as a port-of-call on are Carnival Cruise, we booked the Dolphin Encounter through the ship!
The encounter was absolutely amazing. The dolphin (Anthony) was so playful and loving!! And the trainer was great! Answered all questions, gave us tons of information and ensured everyone got what they paid for!! Would definitely pay to do it again!!
The resort was like a Tropical Paradise, I have never seen anything like it and resort staff were friendly and helpful!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Sandy Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!