Anthony's Key is a terrific resort that offers superb diving. It might be helpful to mention a few things to consider that may make the experience even better if you're forewarned.
RAINY SEASON- We visited end Sept/Oct at what is the "rainy season". During our week there, we had 1 or 2 days where it was cloudy all day with intermittant rain. This may not matter to some who have no interest in sunning themselves but if that's part of your plan, you need to be aware. Also, the wind caused a couple of afternoon dives and one night dive to be cancelled. Even some of the morning dives we were able to do were on the other side of the island requiring a long, rough boat ride.
BUGS- It's mentioned by pretty much everyone who has reviewed the place and it bears mentioning again. Bug juice is an absolute 'must', they'll get ya! Some folks are affected more than others but its safe to say that anyone who skips protecting themselves will pay a price. There were some people that had welts, especially women, that were downright frightening. Having said that, there is a Cactus Juice repellant that is sold in the gift shop that works great and if you do get bitten there is a wonderful salve derived from Cactus that will lessen the affect.
CUSTOMS/AIRPORT- By all means, when arriving at the place, try and get on the customs line as soon as you can. There were only 2 agents working and neither had any inclination to hurry. Big deal??? No, not really but nonetheless, if you've been flying for numerous hours, it might aggravate you. When leaving, again, the lines don't move too quickly.
TIPPING- I would say that it is well-deserved as most everyone is terrific but you need to budget a fair amount of $ for the end-of-stay tip fest. The people work hard and depend on your largesse so you should expect to part with a few hundred $ when all is said and done.
CHOICE OF BUNGALOW- It may not matter to some but when boooking your vacation, do review the map of room choices and request one that meets your taste. Some are over water while some are set back. The sunsets/sunrises are terrific so you may wish to pick a room that faces your preference. Again, some people think of a room as a place for sleeping only and couldn't care about anything else while others have specific interests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the island of Roatan, Anthony's Key Resort is a legendary tropical wonderland where lush greenery rustles in breezy sea air. Pristine beaches rim turquoise waters. And wooden bungalows perched above a tranquil lagoon offer guests incredibly scenic views and a sense of perfect disconnection from everyday life back at home. For over 40 years, this family-run paradise has been home to divers in search of unspoiled waters, and lovers of natural adventure in all its forms.. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Anthony's Key Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anthony`s Key Hotel Sandy Bay
- Anthonys Key Sandy Bay
- Anthonys Key Hotel Roatan
- Anthonys Key Resort
- Anthony's Key Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands