“Fantastic Dive Resort”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 25, 2008

We just returned from a 1 week stay and are already planning a return trip! First, the dive operation was very smooth and low pressure with a wonderful dive master, Marvin, and Boat Captain, Kenlee. My husband and I, along with another couple we travelled with, all felt that Marvin & Kenlee went above and beyond on all our dives. The diving was great with the exception that the dolphin dive was rather anticlimatic as the dolphins were more interested in their trainer than interacting with the divers. Oh, well, we were glad to have done it anyway. The food was fair to good and was plentiful. After 3 dives a day, all you really care about is re-fueling anyway. The drinks & beer are a bit expensive but you can go into Coxen Hole by taxi and buy what you need there and keep it in your fridge in your room. Speaking of rooms, I would only plan on staying in a key superior room; well worth the extra cost. We stayed in #55 & #56 that faced Bailey's Key and the sunset. After the last dive and before dinner, we would gather on the private over water terrace and enjoy a beer or cocktail and watch gorgeous Roatan sunsets. Waiters William & Larry were so personable and learned very quickly our preferences. The bartenders were also very appreciated and accommodating - The guys drank beer but all us girls could tell the bartenders was we wanted one of those "blue drinks". They came up with some great concoctions! Lastly, do not use anything perfumed and use your deet bug spray liberally! I came home with >50 bites and some are still itching fiercely. Not everyone is affected as I was but enough were that I wouldn't take the chance. 1 week and 18 dives later, we were all able to return to our high stress lives feeling refreshed and renewed and that's what it's all about. Can't wait to go again!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank Marie111
There are newer reviews for Anthony's Key Resort

Reviewed August 26, 2008

You will want a Key Superior room it is worth it. We requested a "hut" that was more remote. They put us in #39 which not only had AC, a fridge and the patio with hammocks but also it's own sun deck with a couple of lounge chairs. It was perfect for us. You could sit on the patio and watch the dolphin dives just offshore.

The diving was great and so was the crew. They varied the dives so there was something for everyone. My husband had 3 or 4 tanks which had small air leaks at the neck and noticed some others in the water with the same problem but other than that there were no problems. We liked having the lockers also.

The food was good and varied, there were a couple of days that did not have much selection but most days was better than I expected.

Everyone at this resort was friendly and accommodating. However I agree with what others have said about the tipping, they put a lot of emphasis on it and it's over the top. Luckily we read about this on Trip Advisor and were prepared with enough cash. In most cases we gave the money to the individuals and did not wait till the last day/envelope thing except for the office and back room people.

We did the Dolphin Trainer for a Day which was fantastic. We learned a lot and had a great time. This was probably the highlight for us.

Bring your favorite beverage from duty free or get a cab and head down to West End instead of buying drinks at the bar. There is a fridge in the room and an ice machine on the island so sitting on the patio having a sundowner was very relaxing. There is a small store where the locals go to buy cokes and beer close by. It is down the dirt road past the Museum on the right.

Spray the hammocks with bug spray before using them, one of ours had bugs and my husband had bug bites all over his back from day one. Someone later told us that was why.

We rode the horses one day. They are in good shape and as calm as any I have ever seen. A couple of times dogs ran up barking and they didn't flinch or even look at them.

Timing is everything. We don't have kids and it's a very kid friendly place. In the summer they have camps for the kids while the parents dive. A brilliant idea but we will never go back in the summer.

Overall we loved the place and would go back. They know how to run a smooth operation.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rwethere
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We just returned from Anthonys Key. We originally booked a one week family dive vacation sea camp that was being hosted by Margo Peyton of www.kidsseacamp.com. This was our third location that we have visited as part of the Sea Camp program and over the week it easily became our family's clear favorite. I cannot say enough about the location, dive operation, staff, food etc. On the final day of our trip we even had a chance to visit the on site clinic. The doctor advised that we do not fly for 72 hours and thanks to a complete lack of cooperation by Continental Airlines we ended up having to stay for an additional week. This is where AKR really excelled. The owner of AKR and Margo(founder of Kids Sea Camp) both got personally involved and between them they were totally accommodating. What could have been a bad experience easily became one of the best travel experiences we have ever had. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to AKR and Margo at kidsseacamp.com and I cannot recommend both of them highly enough!!! Thank you AKR and Kids Sea Camp!! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank NorCalDiver_8
Reviewed July 14, 2008

AKR is a wonderful dive location. It is an all inclusive which I was leary about because I have stayed at ClubMed's in the past and felt like cattle. It was completely different at AKR. You find your own table, order off the menu, staff remember your name etc.

There were allot of kids there, which I would have preferred there be less of, but hey it was June! For couples or those who would prefer to skip the family thing, travel in the off months.

My room, a Key Superior was quaint, well kept and quite comfortable. It overlooked the water and we got great breezes while sitting out on the Lanai and having our "happy hour" after a day of great diving.

Dive crews were very helpful and friendly. The diving wasn't as great as Honduras could be, but then again it isn't 1995 anymore! Just not as many fish as I had remembered.

Great vacation though, swam with the dolphins, did a shark dive and relaxed allot.

Definitely recommend

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank Scubahappygirl
Reviewed July 4, 2008

I was advised to skip the noise of West Bay and West End and check into this resort. I was told I would enjoy the seclusion and there wasn't much going on the neighboring towns that I would miss. Unfortunatley, I felt stranded at AKR and I certainly didn't avoid noise. Having already paid for a dive package, I was a capative guest. Most of the other guests were families with young children (sibling arguing, parental yelling, crying todlers, etc.). AKR was far from relaxing.

I lasted three days before heading into West End and West Bay for a change of pace. The restaurant selection was surprising and dining there was relaxing. I also found better roooms (more space, desk, hardwood floors, tv, AC) there for a third the cost (minus the dive package). My room at AKR, standard key, reminded me of my cabin at summer camp.... minimalist (in a bad way) and a bit run down. Not sure what guests are paying for at AKR.

I usually avoid all-inclusives. I wish I would have avoided this one. There was no compelling reason to stay there.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
9  Thank McCritic
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Anthony's Key Resort is one of the best places I have ever stayed - extremely well run, beautiful and romantic (while simultaneously being good for kids - a hard combo to manage), spotlessly clean - a perfect combination of first world standards and third world labor rates. This is a dedicated dive resort, so it's at its best if you're a scuba diver, but even non divers should enjoy it.

You stay in a villa, a standalone building about the size of a large hotel room. Almost all the villas are on Anthony's Key, a small private island about 100 yards from the main resort. Each villa is right on the water (some of them are even on stilts in the water), and has a deck about the same size of the room with a couple of hammocks. If you pick the "Key Superior" (which I recommend), you get a king bed and air conditioning. The rooms are spotless and cleaned every day, with good firm mattresses.

All packages include three meals a day. The meals are plentiful and pretty good (not quite gourmet, but I had no complaints). You take a water taxi to the main part of the resort - you just show up at the dock and the taxi is usually there in a minute or so. There's also kayaks and horseback riding free in all packages. One place to kayak is the neighboring Bailey's Key, another private island with a large dolphin pen. You can swim or even dive with the dolphins, and there's a dolphin camp available for the kids.

Diving is excellent. There are three or four boat dives a day (all included in the dive package), which include tanks, a divemaster leading the dive, and an assistant on the boat, who even helps you on and off with your tank. Trips are varied and include a couple of wrecks, opportunities for night dives, and an optional (at extra cost) shark dive. The water is crystal clear (there's excellent light and visibility even at 115 feet), and all of Roatan is on the second largest reef in the world.

If you're not a diver, theres good snorkeling available off a small beach on Anthony's Key. Or you could certify while at the resort - they have a large dive staff and a dedicated school.

All the staff are very helpful, and bend over backwards to help. The place even has a clinic and decompression chamber on site, so even dive mishaps can be treated right away.

Roatan itself is well worth a visit - it's a picture-perfect Caribbean island. It's easy to spend an entire week at Anthony's, but I'd recommend one or two side trips to the little town of West End or Coxon Hole.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank yimca
Reviewed June 8, 2008

We heard about Anthony's from a friend and fellow diver a couple of years ago. Why we waited so long to go is our great misfortune! We stayed in a Key Superior room, which is the way to go. Air-conditioning when and if you need it, or tropical breeze and gentle waves breaking to lull you to sleep. Peace and quiet, aaahhhhh!!! The hammocks on the lani, watching the sun set, did I mention peace and quiet! No phone, no TV, no clock......oops!
We did have a flying ant/bug issue because I like to read before going to sleep, the next morning I mentioned it at the front desk and they sent someone to spray, no more bugs!! Do take bug spray, we saw people covered with bites! This is the mosquito coast after all. I have heard cactus juice is good to treat bites but not tried it. Just be prepared to prevent being bitten.

We loved the diving!!!! We dove every day, 3 times a day!! We loved our dive master, Ven, he is a great guy and knows his stuff. We stayed with the same boat because of Ven and Captain, but if you wanted to go with another boat just sign up. It was great to have our dive gear in lockers right there at the dock. No lugging it all over. We spent 10 days in the water and I want to do it all over again!! I did a night dive which I swore I 'd never do, did it, loved it! Swore I'd never do the shark dive, did it, loved it! Did the dolphin encounter and swam with the dolphins, did not know about the dive with dolphins which I would have preferred! The swim was ok but the water was soo murky. I understand that the dive is in open water so visability should be excellant, next time!

This is the first all inclusive that I have been to that I did not get sick of the food. I don't know if it was all the diving that made every meal enjoyable, or all the new friends, every night we added people to our table. I do think the alcohol was expensive! We went to the market and bought sodas and beer to stock our fridge.

Now , what I did not like. Tipping! I was not prepared for this. Every one expects to be tipped, even the back of house and front desk. So, when we paid our bill I added tips to my credit card and was told to make a list of how much and to whom, which I did. Then I thought ,how do I know that this really happens. I had no choice as we were not carrying a lot of cash so I had to trust their system. About a week after getting home I got a call from AKR's book keeper, (observant, honest, diligent women), she noticed that the handwriting on my list of who to tip and how much did not match the writing on all the bar tabs, gift shop, dive shop receipts. The girls at the front desk redid my list to included healthy tips for themselves. Thankfully, the bookkeeper did her job above and beyond and corrected the situation. The sad part is these girls lost their jobs which are not easy to come by. I never even thought to tip the front desk and I do fault the resort for this, why did these girls expect to be tipped? But that's the way it is. Take cash and envelopes to hand personally to those you wish to tip; waiters, bartenders, boat captain, dive master, boat taxi, the guy who meets you at the airport, housekeeping, back of house( cooks, gardeners, ????) the list seems endless!

Anyway...........great trip, will do again, going again next year!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Barefoot Cay
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Seagrape Plantation Resort

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!